Apple Music High Res

If I didn’t already have lifetime Roon, it would be tempting to drop Roon, Audirvana, Tidal, and Qobuz and just use Apple Music for free from Verizon Wireless. I updated my Apple TV 4k and it works well feeding 24/48 via HDMI to my Bose. I could go USB from my iPhone or iPad to my Meridian Prime or Dragonfly Cobalt and be happy.

So when are they updating Android app?

It’s because innovation is expensive. If you can buy the smaller innovator or copy and deliver comparable product, it’s cheaper. Apple has so much money they can undercut the market and operate at a loss to gain market share.

I thought it was already updated judging by the video posted earlier.

How can lossless files sound different via Airplay as compared to Roon? Either it’s lossless, or, it isn’t.

If there are audible differences, either:

A. The audio is being Airplay-ed out to different equipment.
B. If the devices are the same, you’re a victim of expectation bias.
C. You have a network issue.
D. You’re comparing two different masters.

Any other explanation simply has no basis in reality.

Now, if one wanted to compare lossless to hi-res, that’s an entirely different can of worms.

I’m finding the Apple Music app on Mac does not take over the audio output to the DAC like Roon does, so high res tracks are just being played to the DAC as 44.1. Any way around this other than adjusting it manually in the Audio Midi settings app?

1 Like

There is no exclusive mode or bit-rate matching on MacOS, as of yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m learning that the hard way. Hopefully a future update will fix that.

More reason I really wish Roon would get Music, Roon just works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lossless is not the same as HiRes.
Airplay has limitations that I don’t want to entertain so it rules out Apple for 95% of my listening which is though my main hifi system - and I am not going to plug a Mac into my system via USB.

As for streaming CD quality via Airplay, it’s fine and little difference as far as I can tell from CD quality through RAAT.

Music 24/192 works fine on iOS for example Prince Purple Rain Deluxe edition. But on Mac, I have to manually change to 192 using the Apple Midi app first.

I guess apple probably focuses more on iOS than Mac b/c the majority of users are using it on mobile

1 Like

There are those in this thread claiming that Roon sounds “better” than Apple music with the same lossless audio.

Unless the music is being piped out to different equipment, or, through a different chain, that’s virtually impossible, unless you’re comparing two different masters, which is…ahem APPLES to oranges.

As for Airplay’s current limitations, I’m with you. I’ve no doubt that Apple will expand its current capabilities; just a matter of whether or not they’ll update Airplay 2, or, make everyone go out and buy new stuff when Airplay 3 happens.

Pretty sure you can guess which way that’s going.

4 Likes

Lol, yes, but for some reason it didn’t register.
Apologies.

Yes, CD quality I can’t hear any meaningful difference.
HiRes , yes.

Sorry, Jay. I edited my post.

1 Like

Not seeing anything at lossless.

I for one can’t hear any difference at all between different platforms streaming at the same quality. Bloody hell, can barely hear a difference between lossy and lossless :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You on iOS or macOS?

Airplay requires two clocks one for the sender one for receiver , Roon respects the DACs clock as being what should control the flow this is the correct method. Two clocks cause drift as rarely are they in exact sync which then needs correction. This can cause a detriment to the audio.

Read my previous post.

Just looked it up, looks like it isn’t out on Android yet. Weird that it was referenced in that video.

Brother, with all respect, if you could prove the audibility of that “clock drift” variation, I’ll hop up out of my motorized chair, do three laps around the block, and dunk a basketball.

I can Airplay a 4K movie with Dolby Atmos audio from my iPad with no interruptions or dropouts. I would be skeptical of anyone having issues doing the same with 16/44.

4 Likes