Apple Music High Res

Good for you but I can sure hear a difference when I have tried airplay to all my systems. Doesn’t sound as good as upnp or Roon at cd quality. And dropouts are nothing to do with what I am talking about at all.

1 Like

I think that was a Beta app.

1 Like

I know you guys are arguing the technical details but I’m still finding roon endpoint sounds better than AirPlay. And also spatial audio didn’t not sound very good on my setup. Loses the energy of the music.

1 Like

Interesting, which Atmos tracks did you find that on ?

I just don’t see the need or point of spatial music, same as I never understood 5.1 or quad channel. When I see a band or orchestra play they are in front of me not to the sides or the back or above. Just seems another gimmick to sell you hardware or music you own again.

1 Like

There’s really no need to get defensive or passive-aggressive with the “good for you.”
It does nothing to strengthen or support your position.

A “whitepaper” written by Roon staff is not a substitute for a scientifically-reviewed or validated document, nor does it stand as any sort of “proof” of anything, as they have a commercial interest in differentiating themselves.

I love Roon, and the people which I’ve interacted with and who work there are awesome, but, it’s marketing material. And, it’s also FIVE years old, predating Airplay 2 by two years.

I don’t want to go back and forth with this. Enjoy what you enjoy, use what you use. Let’s be grateful for options.

5 Likes

“Enjoy what you enjoy, use what you use. Let’s be grateful for options.”

:beers:

5 Likes

Cheers Bubba! Down the hatch!

3 Likes

Yeah but thought I’d try it. With good headphones, there is already soundstage. For the most part it’s width and stage depth in front of you. Occasionally you can hear something that comes from behind you. Not sure if studio is using binaural techniques to achieve that.

The new St Vincent album has Dolby Atmos on it. It didn’t sound too bad on cheap wireless headphones. Gave them more space. But on the Focal Utopia and my Naim Uniti, it completely changed the way it sounds and not for the better.

1 Like

Mike, thanks for the heads up in letting us know about St. Vincent’s new one. Gonna check out the Atmos on that one for myself.

Many things are unfortunately gimmicks Simon. Especially when it comes to HiFi. But it’s us who decide when and where we vote with our wallets.

1 Like

Well guys appears Airplay 2 is not actually giving you lossless right now confirmed by the chief software guy at Naim. It’s only giving you aac. Lol. Funny how it all sounds better when you switch a button that actually does nothing right now.

I guess the clue to this is why the homepods can’t support it. It also mentions nothing about airplay in their docs supporting it. They need to unlock this in Airplay first to go out lossless.

2 Likes

See, my hearing wasn’t playing tricks. Thought I heard with people testing Amazon cd quality thru AirPlay it wasn’t bit perfect so wasn’t positive Apple Music would be either. Feels like this rushed to get the jump on Spotify. Wonder if Spotify Connect will need to be updated on all units before lossless will work properly when they release hifi.

1 Like

It does all feel like Amazon’s sham. I bet they don’t change anything as 99% of the user’s won’t give a damn. And it sounds like to move Airplay it to highres will be a lot more complicated than people think.

As far as I know, Airplay 2 is capped at CD quality. I have many times streamed the same file to my streamer via Roon and Airplay and never heard a difference. Neither did I hear one if I streamed its hi-res counterpart via Roon.

Tried this over and over again and nothing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So this must be the Apple Music app itself that’s not sending out the lossless signal thru AirPlay. Either way, there’s no way to currently listen to lossless music wireless with Apple Music.

Yeah only way to get it bitperfect is via iPhone , iPad via a USB DAC and perhaps the ipods for now.

Anyone have audirvana?

Was wondering if audirvana legacy mode can be used for a work-around for exclusive mode/auto-sample rate on the music app…

How would that work exactly ? Your streaming DRM content no other app should be able to touch it.

Yes it’s capped at cd quality for the foreseeable future and not even that for Apple Music right now.