Apple Music High Res

I don’t know…that’s why I’m asking.

I think it’s highly unlikely it would work for Apple Music streaming, you own local files perhaps.

Airplay 2 streams at 16/44 and 24/44. Therefore, if you were to stream such files off Apple Music, these should be played lossless on the compatible device.

Any files with a higher sample rater from the above, will be downsampled to 16/44 or 24/44.

At least this is my understanding and would make sense.

Can anyone please provide the direct source of the comments from Naim’s Chief Software Engineer? I would like to read them in context…thank you

1 Like

No that’s not the case. As I posted the main software guy from Naim had confirmed this. It’s streams only aac currently from Apple Music. He displayed the readouts from the machines diagnostics to show the streams it’s receiving via Airplay 2 which in Apple music is a lossless file. It’s capped at aac for Apple Music right now Apple need to update Airplay to open it up to accept 44.1.

The only way to get lossless is via your phone, ipdad, camera cable and an external USB DAC.

1 Like

That’s what I’m using with Dragonfly Cobalt. I’m liking what I hear. I’m using iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Mini 4.

Here you go not directed at me another Simon. I like Mike are regulars on Naims forum as we have their kit. I trust what he says.

The fact that Apple also do not mention Airplay at all on their FAQ is a bit of a clue I guess

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212183

1 Like

What’s Going On sounds great in Atmos.

2 Likes

It’ should sound equal to Qobuz that way but the fact the whole eco system doesn’t support multiples of 44.1 only 48 for hires gives me course for concern as many masters are 88 2.

It’s a classic and great album bar the one track. I’d hope they didn’t ruin it. I’ll have to wait until they update Android app to try it out. But I bet that won’t happen any time soon.

Unfortunately that’s true. Not even CD quality via Airplay 2 with Am. Seems somewhat dishonest.
Have a look at the two photos; the first one woth Airplay! the second one via USB to DAC.

4 Likes

I thought this bears mentioning here.

Apple does apparently allow Apple Music to be played through other apps like Roon. They state here at the link at the bottom of the page here:

Find and play songs, audio podcasts, audio books, and more from within your app.

Now I’m intrigued. Will email NAD and let you know what they say about my streamer.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Your welcome, it bad enough Amazon pull off this crap but Apple should have a bit more integrity than that. I’m sure they will sort it eventually hopefullt when the audiophile community starts to make a lot of noise online about it they might sit up and take notice. The mqa and golden sound thing has sure rattled a few cages.

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I still stand by what I said earlier when it is known that lossless=lossless, however, in this case, I clearly need to buy better cotton swabs to clean my ears out, because I still can’t hear a lick of difference.

In any case, thanks for updating.

1 Like

I always read that apps on devices like iphones that can pull through info but not play the music it would instigate that via apple music itself. Spotify is the same for its web api… Still hardly great for Roons use though. If it was I would have thought it would have been picked up already by other apps.

Thanks for sharing these.

Do you have Qobuz and if you do, is it the same when using Airplay?

1 Like

I just hope this doesn’t mean we start getting new music mastered for ‘spatial audio’. it was bad enough when MP3/aac was the lowest common denominator.

1 Like

Aac is pretty good as a compressed audio stream goes, your not the first nor will be the last to not tell the difference.

2 Likes

OK, this works. Apple Music streaming from iPad Mini 4 to Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier via Apple camera adapter and USB.

And, I can just grab this USB cable and shove it into my laptop to use Audirvana Studio. It’s a 3 foot USB extension cable I had laying around.

4 Likes