Apple Music High Res

Thanks @wklie for the clarification.

1 Like

There seems to be a lot of speculation about whether Apple Music, or for that matter Tidal or Qobuz, are bit perfect, and whether or not there is watermarking. Is it not possible to just capture the bitstream and compare with a rip of the cd and thus get a definitive answer?

Several people have done that and reported their results, and my recent posts have reflected all those findings. I donā€™t consider the results from these experiments to be speculations.

Thanks. I havenā€™t seen any of those posts. Could you give me a link to any of them?

Please read AudiophileStyle links above in Apple Music High Res - #1208 by Marco_Klobas - two parts and all follow up comments in the last 7 days.

We know that they are not bit perfect via USB. We only donā€™t know why the integrity is destroyed (speculation: watermarking or dithering), and why they chose lossy AAC for in-app AirPlay2 (speculation: enhanced buffering for multi-room).

I recently test Tidal app iPad USB output, there is no question it is bit perfect as the USB DAC successfully authenticates MQA.

I can test Qobuz app but I donā€™t think it should have a problem with bit perfect output.

1 Like

Not sure if you missed my posts but Iā€™m pretty convinced Apple Music is lossless over AirPlay 2 in the IOS 15 beta. Would this be something you could confirm? Or were you only able to prove lossless over AirPlay 1? No word from Naim tech on this yet. I guess the other thing test for is if it really is lossless, does it stay lossless if you do multi-room.

Iā€™m only basing my conclusion from listening tests. Only seen 2 other people also agree it sounds better but they also think the beta sounds louder, so that could affect their opinion.

Turn on Volume leveling and play a track, is your DAC showing the expected sample rate? If so then it is doing so to a non-bitperfect audio stream. Just because the sampling rate is the same, it is not a guarantee of ā€œbit perfectā€-ness.

You need to use a music format which will ā€œbreakā€, as @wklie stated above:

2 Likes

Understood. Thank you for the clarification.

I have this exact cable and can confirm that it works without the need for the CCK, since the iPad Pro has a USB-C port.

1 Like

It wonā€™t be switching rates via iTunes it will output fixed rate of what windows sets itā€™s system audio at. Via your iPhone /iPad you get exclusive control and proper rate switching and itā€™s bit perfect via iTunes you donā€™t get either. Itā€™s not perfect only when the rate of system audio matches the rate of the source stream, all others are beung resampled by windows.

Even in iOS 15 (Beta 2) Apple Music doesnā€™t stream in ALAC via Airplay 2. Astonishing!

1 Like

What, Iā€™m shocked by that? You check all the settings? It clearly sounds better than IOS 14.

This is what my streamer indicates (Cambridge Edge NQ).

I was just making sure your Apple Music setting were right. Sound Check off, Dolby Atoms off, EQ off, and lossless on. That kind of thing.

I figured maybe IOS 15 was slightly louder than IOS 14, and that was tricky by me into thinking it sounded better but even if I increase the volume for 14, 15 is still better. Not sure what would account for this if itā€™s still lossy.

Thanks. So i forgot to do the one test that would be easiest, test same track against Amazon on same iPad with beta over AirPlay. When I did that, I could hear that Amazon was better. But I still canā€™t figure out why Apple Music beta sounds better than IOS 14.

I feel like an idiot thinking it was lossless. Lesson learned. Next time Iā€™ll wait for proof.

Hey, can you just change to regular lossless over wifi to see what that does. Thatā€™s how I tested. AirPlay canā€™t do hires.

Already did that, doesnā€™t change anything.

1 Like

Lol. Apple Music sounds like a complicated mess. Letā€™s see what Spotify does.

1 Like

Total shambles. I imagine Spotifyā€™s will be very well executed.

1 Like

That works for a transportable setup but not idea for a home setup. Prefer wireless control. Roon/Qobuz is mostly ideal for home besides the limited library, but think they gave up on a mobile solution away from home. Thatā€™s my Iā€™m testing out these other apps.

Besides making a fool of myself using Apple Music, I also realized AirPlay is not ideal. You canā€™t just pickup another device and continue control like you can with roon or Spotify. My only worry with Spotify is whether all streamers will also need to be updated to handle lossless. That will cause further delays. Think Iā€™ve given up on Apple unless they come out with a handoff feature and have wireless lossless.

1 Like