Apple Music High Res

Is this with AirPods?

Yes, I believe the feature only works with AirPods max and pro.

Cool! I will give it a try. Thank you.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait for the rest of Apples catalog to go lossless . Quite a bit still 256 aac.

I gave it a try last night and what I experienced was that the vocal moved away from my head and became more spacious. Also, the bass increased and had a ā€˜Liveā€™ sound feel to it. It basically sounded the way it typically sounds when you add cross-fade to the signal. Also, I donā€™t know if it was the vocal becoming more distant or not, but I felt that I was missing some detail when in spacial mode.

Overall, I think it has great potential, when an engineer specifically records and mixes a recording with spacial audio in mind.

Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Optimise your listening experience with Airpod Pro and Airpods Max.

1. Download the Mimi hearing test app
  2. Do the test
  3. Allow Mimi to write to your iPhoneā€™s health data
  4. Go to Accessibility - headphone accommodations settings - select custom audio setup - check option Audiogram

The result is quite stunning, as your earphones are now calibrated to your specific audiogram.

11 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™m going to give this a try.

I canā€™t wait for Apple to actually support lossless playback on their devices and Airplay.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not lossless when you connect the camera connection kit to an iPhone along with a dac ?
Isnā€™t Airplay 1 lossless ? Shareport?

1 Like

Thatā€™s about the only lossless support there is (iPhone to DAC via USB). I donā€™t know about Airplay 1/Shareport - seen too many differing reports. All of my devices are Airplay 2 anyway (which is definitely not lossless) and I donā€™t think you can force Airplay 1? Apple TV 4K is definitely not lossless. They up/down mix to 24/48 and Macs (that are connected to a USB DAC) require manually changing the midi settings (unless Apple has fixed that with the latest Music app or maybe the next macOS will fix that?). Anyway, point is its still a mess and who knows if that will change. Apple is clearly only offering lossless/hi-res because everyone else is. If they actually cared they would have fixed this mess by now.

1 Like

Yeh but not everyone wants to hookup an iOS device in their listening room and then get up to change tracks/albums.

At my desk itā€™s no problem with iPad.

But in the living room it would be great to just Airplay from iPad to my Bluesound Node (or whatever) and properly support hi-res lossless that way.

Surely itā€™s only a matter of time. Would be nice to not wait till the next iOS lol

3 Likes

Whereā€™s Spotify? You talk about a company that doesnā€™t seem to care about its customers .

If Apple comes up with a Spotify Connect solution , goodbye Spotify.

WTH does Spotify have to do with Apple releasing a product (lossless/hi-res) that canā€™t be used/has no benefit in its own echo system? Even if Apple came up with a Spotify Connect-like solution (which I doubt they will since this is Apple we are talking about or if they did it would be limited to companies they have exclusive agreements with which would make it all but useless), that wonā€™t change the fact that their current products/software/Airplay donā€™t support their lossless/hi-res streaming.

1 Like

It will eventually. Spotify is still at 320 and sound awful.

1 Like

I still donā€™t see what bearing that has on Appleā€™s lossless/hi-res release and the fact users canā€™t even take advantage of it in most cases.

The world is full of information.

I think we donā€™t need to conduct the dispute between Spotify and Apple like fanatical fan boys. Everyone has their preferences and prejudices.

What remains undisputed is that both companies are on the move in this business field and Apple is looking for ways to become No. 1 again. After iTunes with about 800,000,000 customers, Apple is still in business with about 5 to 10% of them. Spotify wants to have around 400,000,000 users by the end of the year, almost half of them with subscriptions. TikTok has 1.000.000.000. Can this be achieved without Hi-Res? They are clearly trying, because since February there has been silence on the subject.

The good Hi-Res experience and development currently affects few customers in the niche. Some already have the hardware, software and consistently well encoded music in their product line, others are so far almost only in the marketing machine. Where has Primephonicā€™s skilful market presence gone? Is it really coming back after an agonizing 6 months?

Unfortunately, it currently looks less like it, because the number of subscriptions has not been updated for some time and Spotify also no longer manages all the self-stated goals. This headline shows how humble people have become in the meantime:

ā€¦things arenā€™t going any better for Apple on TV either. After the big marketing campaign, much is simply stuck in the much more frustrating reality.

Industry analysts now see Google, of all people, in the strongest growth and in the best starting position. Hi-Res dreams are not yet known to me from this corner and are probably not yet important for worldwide growth.

We are in a niche and with our golden ears we do not represent the overall market.

Sony, Apple, Qualcomm and many more are trying to learn, but the engineers who have been dealing with high-resolution music for many decades still smile at these activities as a ā€œnice tryā€.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. This is really useful.
Stunning results in a positive way.

Great conversation, agree with the experience that most people are not focused on sound quality. But like any hobby for those who are these considerations are real and important and do make

My uneducated guess is that the upgrade weā€™re looking for with Airplay 3 will probably require some new hardware, an updated Bluesound Node, etc, but, I sure hope that Apple will accomplish this on the software side via an OS update.

Not so sure about that. I have previously posted about the integration of the Miimi hearing test into Airpods Pro and Max, with quite extraordinary results ā€“ unlike Hi-res immediately obvious. Now thatā€™s what I call an engineering feat ā€“ rather than develop a hugely expensive product that only appeals to customers with deep pockets (and dousing it with plenty of snake oil), develop a product that is far less expensive and therefore attainable by many more people, and make that product in the 270-650 $/ā‚¬ price range almost reach the detailed sound stage of a 4000 $/ā‚¬ product, such as my favourite headphones, the Focal Utopia. Now, whoā€™s the better engineer?