Apple Music High Res

I would never question that the wearing comfort of HiRes products from Apple is much higher than the real Roonies, which usually start with large and heavy components. In Ears, however, there are experts who put it this way:

For air travel or longer train rides, I will continue to rely on the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless or the Bose 700…

Such a plug in the ear is not everyone’s cup of tea…

…and also to the software I had already seen much better pictures here in the forum. Thanks for that:

back to the wearing comfort:

Some is easier to wear, does not use Buetooth and whether someone here really wants to swap only because of the savings? :heart_eyes: :rofl:

Apple certainly has other customer groups in mind, and there is a new product for the fan boys every year. I could now still look in the headphone area, whether Apple is there in 1st place, but I’m afraid that there are mainly quite different preferences among the Ronnies.

Let it go. I accept that you have the best products and software. :wink:

Makes me wonder if audiophiles suffer from status anxiety — keep the masses out. Only ‘for the happy few’ (epigraph to Stendhal’s ‘La Chartreuse de Parme’).:wink:

1 Like

The financial and mental demands and possibilities are very different. The well-read, the rich, the lucky… defines itself satisfaction, life happiness…differently, but always also about symbolism, brand and statement.

I enjoy my music with very old bricks partly from the 80s and this 30 € investment.

Since I do not have super ears, I continue to use my old headphones, an outdated Sonoro and a Grundig V7000 from the 80s.

Another suggestion for a truly professional mobile solution can also be found in the forum:

Everyone finds their sky and it changes with the clouds of life that come up.

2 Likes

I personally don’t care if it needs new hardware.

Would rather it sooner.

2 Likes

I have to smile: “Apple Music 6 years old” “classical underserved”.

I follow this activity from the origin. These wiki keywords clarify. MusicMatch - Apple / MOG - Beats - Apple Music

The classical section was better served and discoverable until Primephonic was acquired and discontinued. Especially here I see many special offers that do it better than Apple for years. I hope Apple doesn’t want to take them all over and close them down.

After MusicMatch - MOG - Beats - Primephonic my confidence has not increased that Apple simply takes over good technical solutions. Not every development after a takeover was an improvement in terms of quality and market performance.Despite the takeovers, Apple has lost 90 to 95% of iTunes customers to the competition in the competition of music service providers due to management errors.

Let’s hope that you will now create an offer that at least the billions of iPhone buyers will want to use. Most of them still go to the competition today and don’t just stay in their own eco-system. Not very surprising, because hi-fi and classical music is certainly not something that is predominantly consumed mobile in-ear. Here, not only Roon with good partners still has the nose and the ear in front.

1 Like

Apple Music is way behind the competition, and it isn’t going to get better. Tidal kicks it into the long grass, as does Spotify. Apple cares not one jot about people who actually care about listening to music. It’s all gimmicks and sleight of hand, like they count subscribers/listeners as anyone who has an iPhone or iPad.

8 Likes

Funny way of looking at things. Way behind competition? Spotify may be ahead of the game, but Tidal? Then again, Spotify is still stuck at mp3 streaming! Plus: lauding Spotify that are mainly interested in data collection???
Just now, listening to Qobuz via Roon, I got the message that Qobuz was loading slowly and my stream kept cutting. I switched to Apple Music and am now happily listening to a Hi-res stream of the same piece I was trying to get through Qobuz.
As someone who listens exclusively to classical music, I can assure you that both Spotify and Tidal are horrible in that genre.
And to those who bemoan the (temporary) disappearance of Primephonic — I was an annual subscriber and have to report that the app was far from perfect (especially, and astonishingly, re research function). So, from that point of view AM taking over Primephonic should be counted a blessing, because there is definitely massive room for improvement.

6 Likes

The sad reality is, the entire interwebs is only interested in data collection in one form or another.

3 Likes

But the dog and pony show required to listen losslessly to that wonderful Apple Music stream? No thanks!

This is all it takes - hardly a big deal,

5 Likes

Tidal with MQA and Spotify with 320 ! Hmm I have to disagree with ya.

2 Likes

Until the silly thing runs out of juice. Truth be told, I am using an ancient 12" pro that runs down the battery quickly. The “charge and play” dongle didn’t work either.

1 Like

My iPad dates from 2019. I use it exclusively to run Apple Music. Battery life is good for at least 12 hours of listening. It seems to me that your dongle is defective. The big advantage of an iPad is that it produces less electric noise than a computer.

2 Likes

I’m one of those guys who has a DAC hanging off my Mac wired directly to my amp, which is the only place I need hi-res. I’m fine with AAC on the go.

I will revisit thins when I replace my iPad.

That is all it takes when the iPad is within arms reach , agreed.

I use Apple Music like that at my desk - no problem.

But I can’t do the same in my living room, sitting 3-4 meters back from the furniture…

I think that’s the main gripe a lot of people have. It is a fair gripe. Especially since we are used to the Roon experience of using an iPad on our couch as a remote for changing albums/playlists/whatever.

But I suspect this will change at some point with Airplay3 and probably new hardware required. I’m hoping this happens soon !

1 Like

Well, I can play Tidal and Spotify into my system from the couch directly through Connect and/or Roon (Tidal) from my laptop or iPad, which is not possible with Apple Music. I’m not going to rise to the MQA bait BS.

Great that you are back in the discussion, we want to continue respectfully with different opinions and experiences, because music is our passion and not everyone loves the same girl. But it is interesting to learn how everyone came to his attitude.

1. discussion point Spotify

There is no way around the realization that currently Spotify is the biggest in streaming music, Amazon will soon push Apple from second place, and Google is currently growing the fastest. There must be reasons for this. The competition only wins when you don’t do something so well.

Yes that is also due to the data collection that created the competitive advantage in the Spotify recommendation system with Echo Nest, Nieland and other acquisitions. No it is not MP3, but OGG as a desired format in the mass market outside of the FLAC or partially also MQA coding desired here. For mobile use in the highest quality, everything is still in development and products and services like Qobuz, Tidal with Roon are better suited for the wired networks and for HiRes multi-room use.

1 Like

2. discussion point Roon is slow or becomes slow when used.

Yes there are observations here especially with the very large libraries. I make my own experiences with Windows, Linux and with MacOS I play only a few favorites, that runs then always trouble-free.

Slowness, crashes and many other problems I know for 20 years also from iTunes and other products. Only Foobar2000 was able to record my complete library, but as a 32bit application not very smart in memory management, something that is discussed under MacOS and Linux also here at Roon. Probably only the same system limitations come up, which are common to .Net, Mono and the competing operating systems and could never be fixed by Roon alone.

Who successfully builds an iTunes library with many hundreds of thousands or millions of titles?

What works with Apple Music alone that doesn’t work with Tidal, Qobuz & Co. What works across devices, in the car or other situations? Where is one dependent on one’s own Okö system and to what extent?

1 Like