Apple Music High Res

Yes, UPnP has no real standard. There are many implementations which provide trouble to Audirvana.
It was a great decision by the Roon team to develop the Raat standard.

Never tried this wireless HDMI for Audio. There is the 4k version from Microsoftā€¦Microsoft 4K Wireless Display Adapter - Microsoft Accessories

In a prior setup, I used a pretty generic, decently reviewed HDMI cable from Amazon delivering from my iPad to a camera kit to HDMI to my receiver and it gave me 24/192 with ease.

2 Likes

Looks like the classical app is getting closer to release.

But JRiver plays faultlessly so it is possible

JRiver has lost the connection to our century. They are just useful for local file playback. I am 95% into streaming.

1 Like

Alas JimH has a slight anti against streaming

Maybe sometime heā€™ll realize a few people use it :thinking:

@dabassgoesboomboom Can you describe your Apple Music to HQPlayer streaming setup? I want to set this up myself but am a bit hazy on how to do it. I have an existing HQPe server that streams to a NUC using an NAA client for my main 2 channel listening. But I want to use an extra iPad to stream AM via HQP upsampling to my headphone rig using a Holo Spring DAC. I can simply plug the iPad into the USB input of the Spring, but how are you getting HQP to upsampling the AM stream? Thank you!

A bit special, but it works. You can stream all you iPad Output to HQPlayer. Anyway fixed at 44.1/16 as using here Airplay to Mac in combination with BlackHole on Mac. HQPlayer Desktop running on Windows here, but works on Ubuntu Server just the same. Did not dig into this further as much easier to run HQPlayer Desktop on little Macbook Air. But you may get the idear. Maybe dabass has a more optimzed version. Have fun :slight_smile:

Thanks @anon12882806 Was hoping for a simpler setup without the need for a Mac as I donā€™t have an extra one of those for this purpose. It seems @dabassgoesboomboom is using a different method that doesnā€™t involve a Mac in the chain. So hoping for guidance on that method.

1 Like

Yep, would be cool about his way. I am using Airplay here. That is the reason for the Mac. :slight_smile:

Hifiberry OS can be an Airplay Endpoint as well according to documentation, But it only supports their Hat DACs and not USB Dacs. So, if there is a PI Linux accepting Airplay and you can run a NAA too, that should work either w/o Mac. Did not search for such kind of PI Linux so far. Whatever fixed bitrate and AirPlay limits.

+++This could work with a Pi, whateverā€¦ AirPlay with Shairport Ā» Raspberry Pi Geek

activated my airport express again, watching videos now with youtube music on ipad and streaming sound via airplay. if you use airplay to mac it streams the videos too to mac :frowning: for mobile fun this is sufficient, for better quality listening: roon & qobuz & hqplayer. have fun! apple music will visit im a year again.

Sure, I already have a dedicated thread. Letā€™s move the chat out of here, to there.

1 Like

I tried my iphone to a mac mini airplay receiver and i find the audio quality to be poorer than a direct mac mini to dac scenario using a topping usb noise isolator . I donā€™t see the dac switching sampling rates either so i find playing music from my iphone to mac to be a worthless proposition.

Come on Apple ,time for Apple Connect with hi res capability.

1 Like

it is fun for LQ stuff. like mp3 128.

1 Like

And I neglected to mention it was a 25-foot cable.

1 Like

So iā€™ve just put an Optical cable from the back of my LG TV into my Topping D70.

Its all output at 48Khz, But it seems to sound OK, the Apple Music app isnā€™t bad on the TV.

Listening to Eric Clapton unplugged iā€™m not sure I can tell and difference between AM and Tidal through my Ifi stream.
Iā€™ll have to try some high definition music on the stream and try that but it seems a good option for easy access to AM for access to my playlists.

hihi, yes as it is Airplayā€¦Apple TV is actually an exception already compared to 44.1/16 + But letś not open it againā€¦lolā€¦

Yes but no where did I say Apple TVā€¦ā€¦

You can install the Apple Music App directly onto LG TVs.
Its a great way to play if you donā€™t want to use airplay, plug things in etc etc.

No good if your an audiophile number cruncher and the output number is more important than actually listening to music, only downside is I canā€™t fit an audiophile mains lead to the TV :grinning:

2 Likes