Apple Music High Res

Audiophile or not – numbers are of interest here. The ATV still needlessly upsamples everything from 44.1 to 48kHz – and it’s not very good at it to boot.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what is up sampling , could be the AM app or it could be the television itself, its an interesting test of finding ways to play AM directly into your hi-fi system though and sounds OK.

TV audio out is usually (re)sampled to 48kHz. Most TVs do, the Apple TV does as well.

It messes with 44.1kHz files, so playback is not lossless anymore (let alone High Res, to keep in the spirit of this thread). But hey – if it sounds alright to you, all fine, all fine.

1 Like

Yep, but the Apple Upsampling for LQ like mp3 128 is pretty good imo :slight_smile: I like the sound :slight_smile:

Right now experimenting with Shairpoint-Sync which is an Airplay 1(!) player with a lot of features. I guess this is the best way to stream audio via Airplay and its given limitations. You can integrate with upsampling and more… https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

I think the correct search would be:-
Which TV’s have the Apple Music App?

To me this solution sound far better than my 4K Apple TV output and works well with the LG TV remote.

Sorry but this is not strictly apple Music High Res but I doubt very little of AM is high res.

You are both right, that would be a super exact fit. But did not find a fitting link. So just a logic argument, Apple does not provide Apps for any Smart TV specifics. They implement their “standards”. Be it Music, TV,…etc. That standard is Airplay…

Sorry I don’t quite understand the comment?

My LG TV has the Apple Music app installed, the TV is outputting via an optical cable to my DAC, airplay is not involved.

You just do not see it. It is about the specification. Never mind. It is not so important imo, how the folks do it. However, as you realized you are limited to 48. +++ At least today. So, I think a lot of us are waiting for more :slight_smile:

Is that an Apple TV+ app or Apple Music app? I can’t find an Apple Music app on my LG 65C7P OLED. I’ve searched the LG store and it doesn’t appear there but, Apple TV+ does. I get Apple Music free from Verizon so have no need to pay for Apple TV+.

You Can Now Get AirPlay 2 on Your Older LG Smart TV +++ maybe the reason, do not know…

Its Just Apple Music stand alone app.

1 Like

can not get music either. only tv…:frowning: LG too old prob…

I have it on mine (BX), its a surprisingly good app considering its just running on the TV.

1 Like

Looks live you need a late LG firmware on the TV.
LG smart TV running on webOS 4.0 or higher

Well, I am on 3.90…arrrrggg…no further update…“not enough horsepower” they say :zipper_mouth_face:

I have the latest LG firmware, but probably not the latest webOS. Where can I download that?

It doesn’t really matter that much because I have an ATV4K with Apple Music if I ever want to use it. However, I would like to get this working if I can.

Go into settings, general, about this TV.

You can then see if its set for automatic updates or manual.
Should have a button ‘Check for updates’
Thats if its the same as a UK TV but I would guess the process is global

[type or paste code here](https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-20150151302919)

Thanks, I’ve done all that and have the latest firmware for the LG TV. However, I don’t think I have the latest Web OS, IDK. Anyway, I can’t find the Apple Music app in the LG store for some reason. Probably not worth worrying about because I’ll probably never use it.