Apple Music Playlists/Library Not Showing Up

Hello, I was using 1.8 and now 2.0 on an Intel NUC confgured with a Roon Core.

I have been trying and trying to get my Apple Music playlists to show up, to no avail. I’ve tried adding my library file to a variety of folders on my removable drive, and I’ve followed the instructions to the letter…and then outside of the letters.

Still, I do not have my playlists.

I would love to get some feedback/suggestions. I would be more than happy to provide more information.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi @headphoniac,

There’s no excuse for the long delay you’ve endured waiting for a staff response. I can assure you we’ve set this thread as a priority and will demonstrate more promptness moving forward as we investigate the issue you’ve having with Apple playlists.

From your post, I’m going to assume you’ve already tried saving an .xml copy of the Apple Music playlist? If not, then you can find instructions for saving the playlists in the old iTunes format (.xml) via Apple Music here: Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac - Apple Support. You can then follow these instructions from our Help Center to import the playlist to your local storage in Roon: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/importing-playlists. This will enable you to easily save the playlist location to your Watched Folders for Roon to access.

If the above steps are already redundant and you’re having no luck, then are you able to provide us with a screenshot of your Watched Folders from Roon’s Storage page? We’ll work from there.

Thank you again for your patience.

1 Like

Hiya Connor,

Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it.

Yes, I’ve added the .xml copy to a watched folder, but the playlists have shown up. I have no issue seeing the Tidal and Qobuz playlists.

As per your request, I have attached a screenshot of the watched folders.

I look forward to hearing back.

Again, I appreciate your assistance and your attention!

Hi @headphoniac,

Thank you for sharing that most recent screenshot - I appreciate the level of detail in your post.

I recommend you double-check the settings in whichever of the two folders (I’m assuming Apple Music?) points to the .xml playlists. Forgive me if this question is redundant, but have you enabled iTunes playlist imports? You’ll want your settings to match the picture below:

If you’ve verified these settings already (including that you haven’t set any Ignored filepaths), then there are a few other things to check:

1. Do you have any security settings on these Watched Folders? Is the connection to them reliable? Are they in a password-protected network shared location or USB drive, for instance?
  2. Do you have playlists with these same names already present in Roon from another location (non-Apple playlists?).
  3. What are the file types present in these playlists? Are you able to share either an .xml file or an example of a track with the team by uploading to our media uploader below? It might be helpful to have the file(s) for testing on our end as well. Here’s the upload link:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/nqcgjac23027d90a441bda2c314de49d7958a/external

Hi Connor,

I have confirmed that the settings match your suggested settings.

There are no security settings that would interfere.

There are several playlits that have the same name, but there are others that do not. I mirrored some of my apple playlists to Qobuz and Tidal, but not all of them.

I have shared the library xml file tp the link you provided.

Once again, I truly appreciate all your help on this!

John Caruso

1 Like

Hi @headphoniac,

Thank you for your patience over the weekend. I believe we’ve pinned down the issue. In diagnostics, there appears to already be an .XML file containing the word “Library” in the filename. Note that Roon will choose only one Apple Music/iTunes library (.xml files containing either “iTunes” or “Library,” where "*’ represents a wildcard placeholder for any text).

If you have multiple overlapping iTunes/Apple Music libraries that exist in different .XML files, I suggest you Consolidate your Library via Apple Music before exporting again, so that there is a single .XML file containing all your Apple Music tracks and playlists.

In short, you won’t be able to import multiple Apple Music libraries into Roon. The .XML import features allows Roon to either 1) sync with your current Apple Music library or 2) easily import an old, static iTunes library without having to recreate iTunes playlists manually.

Roon will search Watched Folders for a single .XML with the keywords listed above (“Library” or “iTunes”) in the filename. This location will also need to contain the files listed in the .XML text itself. See this Help Center article for additional context and information, and we’d be happy to answer any questions:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.