Apple Music to DAC over Ethernet?

Hi, I’m interested in hooking up Apple Music on my Mac to my DAC over Ethernet, not USB. What’s the best way to do this? Also, I play 24-192 so AirPlay isn’t an option

I thought about using Apple Music feeding HQ player and then sending it to an NAA-compatible DAC. But don’t know how to do that.

Ideas? Thank you

The only way is AirPlay with the limitations that entails. Your streaming DAC needs to be AirPlay compatible or you need a bridge like RopieeeXL with AirPlay enabled.

2 Likes

My main thing is having galvanic isolation between the digital source and the DAC.

Given that, maybe I can do this: Apple Music on Mac —USB—> HQP on Linux —Ethernet—> DAC?

I’ve never tried that but HQPlayer might see the USB as an input and work. The DAC would need to have NAA capability.

1 Like

I have a thread about this - feeding any source into HQPlayer.

I feed Apple Music on iPad into HQPlayer because it supports auto sample rate switching.

On Mac you need to manually switch sample rates.

See #3:

I checked out that thread. The problem with your approach (as far as I can tell) is it uses airplay which of course can’t handle high bit rates

Above I mentioned to see #3.

#3 talks about Apple Music on a Mac specifically.

Airplay is another method but then I wouldn’t mentioned Mac because Airplay works (lossy) on iOS and iPadOS also

Ah ok. Sorry. Attention to detail was never my strong suit

1 Like

#2 would also work, no? That’s what I was thinking through a usb connection between the Mac running Apple Music and a Linux box with hqp

I’m guessing you want sample rates for tracks/albums to properly feed HQP?

i.e. you want auto sample rate switching?

Or you are happy to manually change it in Audio MIDI

If you 100% sure you want to feed HQP, let’s move the chat to that thread then?

Just in case it helps others looking to feed HQP

And other HQP users can also chime in too (its in the HQP section of the forum)

You could just use USB and add an Intona box to get the galvanic isolation.

1 Like

Yeah I would like auto sample rate switching…am not wedded to HQP.

If another can do it, an happy to consider it

1 Like

When I get home from this 3 week visit to the MIL, I’m going to plug my late 2014 Mac Mini into my Oppo 203 using HDMI. What resolution can I expect? Thanks. I’ll be playing from Roon and Apple Music.

EDIT: Would using USB from the Mac Mini to Oppo 203 make any difference?

Note: this is going by HDMI to my Bose system, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

Got home this evening from being gone for 3 weeks. I moved my Mac Mini (late 2014) to the family room and tried HDMI to my Oppo 203. That would not work, so I now have the Mac Mini connected to my LG via HDMI with HDMI ARC from LG to Bose.

Everything seems to be working OK, but I have no idea what resolution is playing. Is there anyway to get this to do lossless?

So, I guess I now have another fall back device in case my Nucleus explodes or implodes.

Two Roon ARC’s. One on Nucleus and one on Mac Mini. I have my iPhone and iPad Mini 6 connected to the Nucleus and iPad 8th Gen connected to Mac Mini. It’s easy enough to reinstall Roon ARC to switch if you don’t have any downloaded music you will lose, which I don’t.

It’s fun fooling with this stuff. :grinning:

EDIT: Well, I don’t think this is going to work. Contrary to what I was told by someone, evidently my AT&T U-Verse router doesn’t like sharing the same app across two computers even if they are using different port numbers and a different port forwarding rule name. I might have to delete Roon ARC from the Mac Mini.

EDIT: Yep, I had to stop using Roon ARC on my Mac Mini because, when I did, it changed the port number on my Nucleus so that it stopped working. Weird.

Very cool stuff.

But not related to Apple Music (this thread) :grin:

1 Like

Any rumours when “Apple Connect” ala Tidal Connect will come ?

In case Tidal Connect effectively converts the Tidal app to control only, previously it was part of the Rendering chain

None. Waiting for news of some Airplay 3 or something

Why would they do that, they are invested in AirPlay it would send out the wrong messages that it’s inferior. If they get round to it or think it’s important (doubtful) they will be just renew AirPlay again to have some new features. But updating AirPlay is a major task for all OEMs and many might not have the resources on the device to do it. So you get a whole new lot of products again for a small percentage of users that care about hires or lossless.

1 Like

SO

To use Apple Music via my Naim Unity HE is a dead duck without more hardware unless I accept AirPlay. We debated USB digital input years back when I was considering Naim. I am not unhappy BTW

The only way I can do it is some bridge USB to Coax , I have my old M-DAC doing nothing so that’s an option

It’s another “Apple don’t give a s**t about hi fi” in my mind. I have visions of an iPad lashed up like a Xmas tree just to listen to Apple Music.

Will Primephonic be worth it , we wait to see ….

< Rant Over />