Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Hi @R1200CL, unfortunately sample rate info isn’t available via the API. :frowning:

Hi @R_102, just bought this extension and im very exited how it looks on my tv. I always wanted to have a way to play/pause and go for previous/next. And this extensions made this possible almost 100%

There is a play/pause button on the apple tv remote, but sadly no previous/next. I was thinking if i swipe left or right on the remote the track will change, but thats used for buttons selection.

I also checked volume up/down, it still controls tv volume, and thats not relevant for roon in my situation, my audio rack is not connected to tv in any way. So i thought, if you could add an option to change volume button actions, or make it as default to change tracks with volume button on remote, that would be great!!

2 Likes

Hi @Cooler, thanks for the purchase.

Unfortunately, Apple prevent any functions being assigned to the volume up/down buttons on the remote. They reserve those buttons for tv volume control only.

You can however skip tracks using the remote. When on the Zones or Queue screen tapping right/left on the touch pad will skip forward/back tracks.

Also, when the Now Playing/Screensaver is shown. Tapping left/right on the touchpad will skip tracks. Swipping right/left will seek in the track.

1 Like

If your receiver/preamp has an IR remote, one solution might be to get a Sideclick universal remote attachment for AppleTV. Then train the up/down arrows on the sideclick to copy the receiver/preamp volume signals. Another benefit is that the Sideclick chassis makes it a little harder to lose your ATV remote in the couch cushions.

Works a treat. My volume control from the remote works fine (I think it must be a setting in the Apple TV) when you add the browsing bit it will be excellent but for now fantastic start!

On your ATV menu, go to Settings/HomeTheaterControl/VolumeControl. When you click on that, you should see a “SelectVolumeControl” menu, which may include your receiver/preamp.

It doesn’t, i use audio note preamp, its tube old-school device, fantastically sounds, but yeah, no IR or any modern features! :slight_smile:

Hi @R_102 thanks for the fast reply, ok I checked your option, yes, it works! Also another option is to select next arrow and stay on it and even when its in view mode, if I touch on the right touch pad i skip the track!

Maybe the best way (for me) to use swipes left/right, when app shows view mode, so app stays in view mode, and if i want to see buttons (menu) I should click the touch, then swipes work for button selection.

What do you think?

Hmm, oh wait, double touch works, but only in view mode, if i touch not accurately, it goes to view with buttons and i do button selection. If view mode could be “locked” until I click the touch, then with double touch we already have this functionality.

Released - TV:Remote 1.2.0

Hi all, version 1.2.0 has been released to the AppStore - It should appear over the next 24/48 hours.

Whats New:

• Added support for browsing Roon’s music library.
  • Added playback selection from Roon’s music library.
  • Added volume control gestures to the now playing screen saver:
    • Actioned by tapping or swiping up/down on the Apple remote touchpad.

Added additional app settings:

• Show Now Playing After: 20, 30, 60 Sec, Never.
  • Disable Background Animation.

23 Likes

This right here!

1 Like

Small finding on volume display (on certain values only) would be nicer not to cut that one:

Yes!!! Thanks. I waited for this. :+1:t2:

Happy new year Russel.

:edit: I have been using it now for a couple of hours and it works perfectly.
Especially the positioning of the artist image is very well done. The guys from Roon Labs should hire you.

HI, since the upgrade it now only plays for the first 10 seconds or so. After that the progress bar continues (and it looks like its playing) but no sound… any ideas? Have tried with fixed IP address and same issue and entered core IP but still no joy. Everything is latest version core etc and all worked fine with previous version of the app.

Bit of an update if you remote to the ATV first and connect after that it works fine (inc all app functionality) so its not a biggie but worth fixing in release 2. Apart from that works a treat :grinning:

1 Like

You Sir, are an absolute winner :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Russel,
That’s a great little app! So far, it has always been a hassle to set up my TV as a Roon display due to Apple TV not coming with a browser. Not anymore, thanks to your Roon TV Remote.

I have one suggestion if I may. My listening sessions are mostly in the evening hours with dimmed lights. Unfortunately, the Now Playing screen can be rather eye-scorching if it displays a bright-coloured album cover as background. Would it be possible to include an option which disables the background image altogether, maybe replacing it with a black background or a dark gradient? See attached image for a mockup.

1 Like

Really cool update, many thanks @R_102.
I really like not being beholden to the iPad or my Smartphone every time I want to select a different album or playlist.
Ill give it a test drive over the next weeks and come back if there are any glitches, but at first glance, great job!

1 Like

@Patrick_LP nice spot! Fix will be in the next build.

@Jaundka I’ve toyed with the idea of a album cover only option - I may add that as an option for a future release.

1 Like

Welcome. If you touch this code you may also find a way to not get « dB » moving left & right while changing volume (combo of non fixed-size font and integer / .5 volume steps)

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!

Impressive as hell. Amazing job.

3 Likes

Why am I being asked for an airplay passcode every time I want to play a song? I enter it in roon settings but it still won’t play.