Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Hi @steven_berne.

This sounds like an audio setup issue between the Roon Core and Apple TV. There are a few posts in this thread that they may help solve the issue: Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote - #201 by Peter_Deschamps

Unbelievable. Thank you for all the work you’ve put into this. I hope you get some reasonable big cash for this. I’m happy I bought. This is great. I won’t say transformative yet but it’s getting close.

Wish they would let you redesign the iOS Remote app :slight_smile: :crazy_face:

6 Likes

@R_102 thanks for all the hard work.

I think I found one small issue with discovery.

I only know about this because I’ve spent ages getting roon discovery to work for my python library used in Home Assistant.

It seems roon clients (at least on macs) respond to the discovery packet - but obviously they don’t allow client authorisation.

By default on my home network I have a MacBook running a roon client, and a Mac mini running both a core server and a roon client gui.

All three of these apps respond to the discovery packet.

If you try to authorise against the either client app - nothing shows up to allow the user to authorise.

My MacBook was off at the time, but I suspect both apps on my Mac Mini ware responding to your discovery packet.

So what happened for me with the TV app is that it found my core machine fine - but I couldn’t then authorise (nothing showed up in the gui). Killing the roon client on my core allowed me to authorise without trouble.

If it helps what I now do in my python library is try to authorise against all the discovered servers. Only one gets a token, I then store the core-id along with the token, and then on future discoveries look for that core Id (which is in the discovery reply).

Code here in case it helps https://github.com/pavoni/pyroon/blob/master/examples/discovery.py

(I just checked and if I restart the TV app and my Mac roon client is running - discovery doesn’t work even though the extension has previously been authorised).

2 Likes

Hi @GregD, thanks for the info. Sounds like you’ve been enjoying core discovery as much as I have :wink:

I also found all Roon desktop clients advertised themselves as core’s!

For the TV:Remote, if multiple cores are discovered it should present you with a list to choose from, once a core has been selected it should only connect to the preferred core and ignore all others. Thats assuming the discovery packets are getting through from all cores!

The preferred Roon Core device is stored in: Settings > Apps > TV:Remote > Roon Core Name
I’ll check this still behaves as expected. I may of introduced a bug…

As a work around you can bypass discovery and connected via the core’s IP address. See Settings > Apps > TV:Remote > Connect using Core IP address. It’s not ideal but should make the connection consistent.

Thanks again,
Russell

Thanks @R_102 - I tried the work round - but it doesn’t work for me. My case is probably a worst case - with both client and server running on the same machine but with different port numbers (9100 and 9102).

As you say discover has been an adventure! My crazy case was useful for testing though!

Game Changer for ATV users. Thanks a million Russell

1 Like

Ahh ok, the port number may be the issue for the manual connect - that assumes port 9100.

Thanks @R_102. Your apple TV Extension ist great. What is your next project? I would like to see an roon App for my appleWatch to start/stop music and +/- the loudness.

Volker

1 Like

Hi - not sure if you are aware, but if you’ve got the Apple TV app open you can use your Apple Watch to control it. Might just do for you?

2 Likes

@PaulW good Idea, but there I only can do start/stop, no volume control.

Mate you are a legend ! Thanks so much for the continuing hard work on this. It has met my use case perfectly. Long may you continue to develop it, and i hope Roon are helping you with this - it fulfills a feature request

3 Likes

Wow that was fast! Works great now! Thanks Russel V :grinning:
EDIT: Just needs a way to sort the library in different ways e.g., with “last added”, “most frequently played”, in addition to artist first name and last name and it will be even better :slight_smile:
Finding minor bugs but that is to be expected (eg. volume control does not show correct volume, sometimes). Anyway, overall a great and quite intuitive app with the correct “AppleTV” way of navigating and controlling stuff! Wish you the best of luck with this!!

3 Likes

Thanks @arisholm,

I’ll keep an out for the out of sync volume control - I’m expecting a few minor bugs along the way!! :grimacing:
Unfortunately the library sorting is out of my hands - currently limited to what’s on offer over the API :frowning:

Thanks again!

Loving the latest version… is some kind of search function possible, or do Apple/Roon’s API not permit a library search?

Mark

1 Like

Wow, what a large feature scope extension!
Thanks! Really enjoying the app!

1 Like

… and impressive execution. Really well done :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Thanks @MortalWombatUK,

Searching is featured in the Roon API and TV:Remote app, there a few search options;

Your Library: Browse > Explore > Library > Search
TIDAL: Browse > Explore >TIDAL > Search TIDAL

Searching within Qobuz should be similar to TIDAL - No account so can’t confirm.

1 Like

Boom!.. and there it is, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I had not dug that deep.

Is a top down global search feasible? maybe a magnifying glass icon on the left, and then when the results appear, allow further filtering from there (for example, by location/albums/tracks/artists etc…)

One final suggestion… is an “add to library” function possible when browsing Tidal/Qobuz?

You have done a great job with this, and as a post somewhere above suggested, I hope the Roon devs are assisting you much as possible!

Thanks again for a great app.

1 Like

@MortalWombatUK, not a problem :+1:

Nice idea for the global search and “add to library”, unfortunately neither are featured in the API!

Has anyone seen occasional loss of sync between on screen display and audio stream ? I sometimes find that the queue has progressed in audio but that the artwork has not moved on. Or it could be my network of course… A quick stop and start fixes it so no biggie