Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

I’ve been using this for several months now and it’s been working really well. I have a good size library and I had a question about browsing. When I browse by album for example, I may find an album, lets say Revolver, I’ll open the album to look at the tracks. If I decide, not to play the album, and go back to continue browsing, the browser brings me all the way back to the letter A, and I’ll have to start scrolling down from the top all over again. Is there a setting that would allow me to jump back to the letter R to save me the time of scrolling back down?

Once again, great extension, thanks!

2 Likes

Id like to see a fix for the scroll position as well. Its whats keeping me from using only the tv. I have to have another device to navigate my library.

Hi @Andy211, @Dusty
The library bowser returning to the start is a tricky one due to how browser navigation request are made over the API. Ideally i’d cache the library but that’s not really practical.

The following post gives some explanation on how the browse API works, see the browser item key section.

Im currently going for the - not ideal, but works consistently approach.

Glad you found the volume control workaround :wink:

Thanks Russell for the explanation! I hadn’t realized all of the work and consideration that goes on under the hood.

1 Like

Just bought this extension. Struggled a bit with Airplay-codes popping up. Solved this by using a password for Airplay. And now I love your extension. Everything easy to use and working smoothness. Keep on this good work!

2 Likes

Also just installed the App. Found it here, very nice.
Thanks!
LD

1 Like

thanks for this excellent app. i love it. well done.

is there any way to display song lyrics as well?

1 Like

@R_102 I just noticed a little flaw when using the Apple TV extension - Roon tv remote on my apple TV4k HDR and select the Apple TV 4k hdr as endpoint, it does not work.
When I press play for any song, it stops right away. (?)

Hi @Ramon_Laponder.
Could you give a few more details on the issue. Where about are you selecting play? Are you selecting an option in the UI or the Play / Pause button on the ATV remote?

Is the issue repeatable on non-ATV endpoints?

@R_102 when at ATV remote and I select any other endpoint(s) they all work. When I select in ATV remote my MacBook Pro as endpoint, that works also.
When I use ATV remote and select the same device/appletv and press play the pause symbol appears as should, but no music playing and the timer does not count.
when at the now playing screen and I press play, the same result…

p.s. I just tested on my MacBook Pro as remote and appletv as endpoint, the same result. The pause symbol appears as should, but no music playing and the timer does not count.
So it looks like it has something to do with the new appletv 4k hdr. On my old appletv4k it did work, but now on my new appletv4kHDR it doesn’t (?) Don’t know why or what is causing this.

@Ramon_Laponder thanks for the extra info. Im not too sure what might be causing the playback issue with the new ATV.

It’s probably worth raising the issue with support, they may have a better idea of what’s going on. Unfortunately theres not much I can do from the extension side.

1 Like

@R_102 thank you for your help. I will try to test it some more and hope to get it working.

I just bought the latest appleTV remote control (instead of a new upgraded AppleTV)

Now I have even more fun using the remote together with this app.
(I’m using this with screen turned off). Before it was only play/pause. Now with the new remote skipping tracks, or start from beginning works as well using the new functions of this remote.

Not so easy to do before without screen on.

And for those that hasn’t discovered, you can control volume on hopefully any device that have a remote control, with your appleTV remote. What’s new is that now the mute bottom is added. And of cause working.

In order to easy find the remote app and engage it without a screen, I place it on top left corner in the AppleTV.

@R_102 I wonder if Siri integration is possible ?
Siri says to me (in Norwegian), she can’t jump next track when asked.

It’s been a wile since I exploded the other functions of the app. I’m impressed by user interface and everything now implemented.

3 Likes

I can’t get my AppleTV 4k to recognise the Roon TV Remote app. I did work before so I do not know what has gone wrong now. I have deleted the app and re-installed and still no better result. It will not find my Roon server. I have manually entered the Roon IP as I see it in my Roon Server software running on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) with 128GB ram and 1TB SSD… I have entered the Core name and still it will not connect… I de-authorized the TV Remote Extension on my Roon Server thinking it would be easy to re-authorize, but now I have removed it, I can’t find where to add it back in again.

Can anyone guide me through the correct step by step install to get both to connect…?

Regards,
Anthony

Hi @Anthony_McCarthy

I’ve had a similar issue in the past with the Roon Core running on the Mac - rebooting the Mac always solved the issue for me!

When connecting manually via the IP address is the port number correct? On a Roon client, the Web display URL shows the port number to use. In Roon a app see Settings > Displays.

I’d also suggest removing the Core name if you’ve entered it manually - auto discovery will update it for you if a core is found.

Regards,
Russell

Good to here the app is working well for you.

Im not too sure - i’d have to look into it.

Thank you Russell for your reply… but will I need to Authorise the TV Remote app in the Extensions section of the Server software again… how do I do that if required…?

Regards,
Anthony

Yeah, you’ll need to re-enable the extension if you’ve cleared out the previous authorisation.

Once the app is connected to the core you should see an Enabled button in the Settings > Extension section of the Roon app.

Is it showing up or is the app still failing to connect?

I have opposite problem.
The tv remote application recognizes the Roon core server.
But when I enter into extension section in Roon core server - it does not find any extension to authorize.