Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Hi,
Really delighted at the arrival of the Roon remote for Apple TV. My Sooloos/Roon library was just sitting there waiting.
I am trying to follow the instruction Settings\extensions in Roon App to enable the App. I found there was no “enable” button or anything like it.
I had already removed the app and reinstalled it followed by restarting the Apple TV. Still no luck!

Looking forward to the update because it really is a great idea.

All the best,

Geoff

Hi @Geoff,

I’ve come across this issue before. At the time I was running the Roon core on a Mac. Both the Mac and the Apple TV where on the Wi-Fi.
The TV:Remote app was using the auto discovery method.

The following fixed the issue:

• Quit Roon on the Mac.
  • Closing the TV:Remote app (double tapped the home button to fully close)
  • Disabled/Enabled the Mac’s wifi
  • Re-launched Roon
  • Re-launched the TV:Remote app
  • The extension was then displayed in Roon > Settings > Extensions

If the above fails to solve the issue have you tried connecting directly using the core’s IP address (See; Apple TV > Settings > Apps > TV:Remote)?

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but…why should someone buy this app when they can just have Roon airplay directly to the ATV? What am I missing?

The app gives you control over all enabled zones in Roon, not just the one that’s air-playing to the ATV.

App feature include:

• Library Browsing
  • Zone Selection
  • Transport controls
  • Queue Selection
  • Loop, Shuffle and RoonRadio on/off
  • Volume control
2 Likes

I use this app non-stop every day!! Changed my whole Roon experience! Thank you @R_102 !

1 Like

Thanks - I just fail to see the added value when you can do all that from your phone as a remote - the ATV is not exactly the best interface to control anything.

For me, it is a Now Playing screen that I am mostly on, and I use it only to start/stop/skip tracks and volume, that is all. My iphone app takes about 10 seconds to get reconnected (sometimes more) to the Roon core, it does not stay awake. This is instantly responsive, at least it feels that way in user experience.

2 Likes

While you don’t see the value, many do. I love the large visual display and the ability to control and do basic search from the ATV remote. No need to use another device.

Also, this is way more than Airplay. In my setups, I have a Raspberry Pi > DAC > AVR. This way I can get full high resolution audio and still control it via the ATV remote. My AVR input is set to pull the video from the ATV and the audio from the DAC. This also makes things simple for other users in the home who aren’t as technical. They can simply turn on the whole system (TV, ATV, AVR) and play music from the ATV remote. Powering down everything is also super simple. Well worth the price. Especially, since one purchase allows you to install it on multiple ATVs.

5 Likes

Hi, I have inserted the Roon core name exactly along with the IP address. I get a notice telling me the core has been located immediately.
I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the remote app. When I open the extension I get told to go to settings>extensions to authorise the app but there is nothing to authorise.
What comes next.

All the best,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It sounds like the remote app has connected to something, I suspect there may be a port conflict going on… Have you tried rebooting the Roon Core app / machine?

If you’re connecting using the IP address method could you confirm that the connection is using the correct port number for the API; via a Roon Remote select, Settings > Display. The Web Display URL contains the required port number.

Regards,
Russell

bought the app yesterday and can confirm it’s really cool.

Only “gripe” is for OLED TVs maybe you could choose for the “audio controls” to disapear and configure how often screen changes image as to reduce posible burn-out of the screen.

Excelent Job. A bit hessitant at first because it wasn’t an offical up but for anyone not sure, GO FOR IT!! Completly worth it

1 Like

Thanks @Jason_Lloyd

There are a couple of settings in ATV > Settings > App > TV:Remote that may help prevent any possible screen burn.

Show Now Playing After: 20/30/60sec/ Never - This sets the disappear time for the audio controls.
Animate Now Playing - This flips the Now Playing screen every 30 sec

3 Likes

Hi Russel

Very much enjoying TV:Remote, many thanks for your efforts.

Is it possible to have an option that displays albums sorted by artist rather than title?

Mike

1 Like

Thanks @reeve_mike

Unfortunately not. The browsing session states are maintained Roon sever side - i’m basically displaying what’s given.

The only sort options available are:

• Artist Sort By - First / Last Name
  • Composers Sort By First / Last Name

OK - I had a suspicion that it was going to be a Roon API limitation but thought I would ask.

MANY THANKS!

1 Like

Any chance you can port this over to a watch app?

Fantastic extension - thanks for your work on this! I’m sure I know the answer, but I’ll ask anyway. Is there a way that this app can be used as a Display rather than extension? I previously used a Chromecast which was great, because I could set it to automatically start displaying upon playback, which meant that my TV automatically turned on and started showing the Roon info as soon as I pressed play.

@R_102 I’m sure you know this…but I was listening to music today using your app in my new ATV with the new remote and just realised that you can control the volume by swiping up/down…this is amazing!!! :sunglasses: It used to be my only gripe the fact that Apple wouldn’t allow to map the +/- buttons in your app…love this app :v:

2 Likes

Love the new remote! Lol

2 Likes

Just discovered this. Thank you so much. This enhances my Roon experience so much!

1 Like