Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Thanks for the example.

In this instance the cropping is expected. Depending on the images available for the playing track the background will cycle through a combination of the following images:

• Artist images
  • Oversized album cover
  • Sized to fit album cover

Hi @R_102, a really great extension that I really like. About the pictures: You can see the album picture, as well as the pictures of the artists involved. Is it possible to display other images that are saved in the same folder? These can be displayed and even browsed automatically within Roon itself. Example: In the folder of the album: Quiet Winter Night by the Hoff Ensemble, I have also saved about 9 images. If you could now see these images via Roon TV Remote, that would be a really great thing.

Love it, fantastic extension. Thx.

@StereJo – I also wish Roon would provide a mechanism to display your own artist photos that you’ve stored in a folder. They can make use of an album cover that’s stored in a track or in the same directory as the tracks, but don’t provide any capability to utilize artist photos you may have. Unfortunately I think Roon would have to provide this capability first and make it available in their API in order for the Apple TV extension to utilize it. But I wish they would do it!

1 Like

Hi Russel,

Are there any settings tweeks either in the app or roon to overcome
‘Lost connection… trying to reconnect’ errors?

I am seeing this so often as to make the remote app unusable under 1.8.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, the side effect of this great extension is having Roon on the TV a lot, I am looking at Roon a lot more… and realizing how limiting their Artist photos are. It is one of the bigger disappointments in Roon.

One of their top selling points:
Immerse yourself in photos, bios, reviews, credits, lyrics, tour dates, and more…

Maybe it should say “Immerse yourself in one photo of an artist, and it may not be a very good one. Get used to it”

1 Like

Hi @StereJo, Unfortunately I’ve no access to any additional images that are saved in the same folder. @Craig_Palmer is correct in saying that Roon would first need to provide access in their API.

1 Like

Hi @Deeg,

I’ll have a think on this one. Im not too sure if much can be done on the app side. Once the extension is connected ‘Pings’ are sent / received between Roon and the app. If the pings fail i’m assuming the web socket connection between the app and core has closed - this results in the ‘Lost connection… trying to reconnect’

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid reply

Is the artist/track artwork cached at the start of the song? If so, is it possible to disable the splash screen that pops up during the blip so the normal artist/album images, while static and not updating, are at least still shown?

Deeg

Not sure if its the latest roon release or the associated core restart but my issue has gone away… been connected for over an hour now without seeing the reconnecting splash

1 Like

Great app @R_102, installed and working with no issues.

1 Like

Possibly stupid question, but here goes…

Am I right in thinking that if I moved my core from my iMac, to a NUC running Rock, then the TV app extension would not work?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Hi @MortalWombatUK

You may need to prompt the TV app to look for the new core, other than that it should just work - it works with any device running a core.

That’s great to hear, thanks for the clarification… think I might take the plunge with a NUC…

This worked great for several months. Today I get lost connection every 30 seconds. My music is fine but the connection from AppleTV to Roon was wonky.

I restarted ATV and that did not help. I doubt it is any direct problem with extension but thought I would post it here.

Hi @RobOK, have you tried a reboot of the Roon Core?

A core reboot has fixed similar issues in the past…

Hi @R_102, I’m wondering if its possible to add the lyrics function. This would be awesome :relaxed:

Is this still in play? Is it possible to get an invitation code? Looks like I need one.

It is very much active and available on the App Store for purchase. No invitation code necessary.

Sorry never mind, i bought the app. Didn’t realize out of beta.

Takes a while to load album images I noticed, hopefully they cache