Apple TV no sound at all

Hi Greg,

Thanks for jumping in, help is always most than welcomed.

What you mentioned is exactly the behavior that I can watch on AppleTV monitor when iTunes runs, but in case of Roon nothing appears on the monitor of AppleTV, despite in Roon you see AppleTV plays.

Regarding the volume either ““Fixed Volume” or “Device Volume”, no difference, I tried this setting without success.

Anyway, usually I listen to music with my system, regular DAC and amplifier, but having this airplay feature up and running will be nice. I’m confident that it’s gonna be fixed!

Enjoy Roon, enjoy your music.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Apple TVs Settings > General > About page? This is in the Apple TV itself, not in Roon.

Dear Noris,

Here you are.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sante

It looks as though you are running tvOS 13.0 which is beta.

I don’t believe you’re able to downgrade the tvOS software either.

@noris

Cheers, Greg

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Yes, it appears that you are running tvOS 13 which is currently in beta and likely the source of this issue. We have two options to move forward here:

1. You perform a downgrade of the Apple TV firmware. Note: I cannot comment on this process or the stability as I have not done it myself, but it is theoretically possible. If you perform this downgrade, it will likely resolve the issue, but we cannot offer support if something goes wrong during the downgrading process.

2. We wait for the stable tvOS to be released to the general public, and take another look at Roon operating through your Apple TV afterwards.

The good news is that we have finally located the culprit. The choice is yours, do let me know what you decide. Thanks!

Hi Noris,

Very clear, I didn’t know it was a beta version.
I’m gonna wait the stable tvOS, hopefully this will solve the issue.

Thanks to you and thanks to Greg, as well.

Sante

1 Like

Only another week or so until the GM release of tvOS so not long to wait until Roon can start working on it.

Hi @Astr0b0y,

Thanks for your update and support.

Sante

Thanks for confirming that you are also experiencing this issue @Astr0b0y. I have informed the QA team and they are looking into this behavior.

1 Like

Thank to everybody for supporting with patience and professionalism!

Sante

1 Like

I had the same problem, but with the official tvos 13 (aka ‘final’).
Drove me nuts.

Just followed these steps to downgrade my Apple TV to 12.4.1 and roon is playing now!

Hurry up - while you can still get the 12.4.1 ipsw file.
Don’t forget to keep the left shift key pressed while hitting the restore button.

Worked like a charm (though I had to reconfigure the device and re-log with all the streaming services).

The trickiest part may be finding the USB-C cable.

Best of luck.

/Alex

1 Like

Did you see my post…only solution I have found is to choose “System Output on the Core Machine you are hosting”…presume you are hosting Roon on a Mac? If so, then go to the sound setting on the Mac, and choose Apple TV.

I managed to upgrade mac hosting Roon to macOS Catalina and Apple TV to tvOS 13 before reading issues related to Roon. Got the audio streaming temporarily working using following workaround:

Set System Preferences > Audio > Output to AirPlay device:

then set Roon to use following device:

I hope the Roon no-sound fix for tvOS 13 comes out sooner rather than later since average user cannot easily downgrade to tvOS 12

Martin

Yes, this is not a solution. I have Apple TV 4K’s and they cannot do a downgrade. I never thought this would be an issue to stream Roon. Everything works but Roon on ATV.

Setup:
4 Apple TV 4K’s
Synology 2415+ NAS w/Roon Server
Netgear AX11000 12 stream WiFi 6 Router 2019

Info:
I get everything to show up, key in passcodes and hit play and ATV just sits there. I have 2 ATV’s hard connected and 2 wireless, symptom is the same for all. Tried everything, take down Roon bring back up, reboot Synology NAS, reboot router, reboot internet, reboot dog, reboot cat.

Please find a fix soon Roon Devs… I would encourage you to upgrade the importance of this to critical since more people are using devices like this.

Thanks again for such a wonderful support community. I love Roon!

Best,

Tom

Dear All,

I just updated tvOS 13.2 (17K5068b), now Roon is back to work.

Hopefully it is gonna work for all of you as well.

Have a great evening.

Sante

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. Working for me here too with the 13.2 update. Now trig to get off the beta bandwagon…

Hello All,

We are cautiously optimistic that this issue has been resolved in the tvOS 13.2 beta, as a few other users have reported.

To provide some insight into what’s going on here: Our technical investigation concluded that Apple broke AirPlay playback from all non-iOS sources in the initial tvOS 13 release. iTunes playback worked correctly when playing to a single AppleTV zone, however grouped zone playback would fail on the AppleTV whenever non-AirPlay 2 devices were added to the group. Other applications like Airfoil are similarly affected.

-John

4 Likes

Can’t get Roon to play via Apple TV thru my home theater system. Latest ATV/Latest IOS/Nucleus.
Can choose the Zone, it shows it’s playing music on the Roon Controller on iphone but I hear nothing. I disabled and reenabled with the password shown on ATV and still nothing. Spotify/Tidal/and iTunes Music that is downloaded on my phone all play fine. What gives? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Hi James,

I’ve moved your post here. Check out the thread. It’s been resolved with tvOS 13.2 beta.

Check out John’s post above.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg but kinda confused as he says ''group zone" fails and I don’t have it in a group. Also, does this mean we have to wait until 13.2 update then it should work? Thanks!