Apple TV shows new code instead of playing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC i7/Roon 1.8 built 764

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TP Link Deco WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Apple TV

Description Of Issue

Roon connects just fine to the Apple TVs, which are also on the latest software. However, when I click play in Roon (on any remote - Mac, iOS, even the Apple TV Roon Remote app) the Apple TV pops up with another code as if it’s connecting for the first time.

Disabling/re-enabling the Apple TV doesn’t help. I’ve looked at old threads similar to this (Airplay settings, etc. and everything is setup as required on the Apple TVs)

Any @support available?

Hey @echokos,

Thanks for following up on this and sorry about the trouble! We’d love to help.

Could you please check your Apple TV settings, and make sure password requirements are set to never? If you choose never, even temporarily, do you still run into this issue?

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hi Rebeka. This setting was already set to “Never.” Just to be clear, it’s not asking for my iTunes account password, when I click play in Roon, the Apple TV displays an AirPlay Passcode (4 digits) - even though I already did this when I setup the Apple TV to connect to Roon.

Hello @echokos ,

On the Apple TV, if you go to Settings > AirPlay and click on Airplay Everyone, you will see Security below. This might show Require Code First Time Only but should be changed to a Password.

Require password on Airplay is off for both Apple TV’s.

Based on the responses here, I’m assuming the issue lies with Apples 2FA. It appears that instead of Roon core using the authorization it receives when it’s activated, it continually asks for authorization on every action, such as pressing play - which then causes the TV to pop up another auth code.

I have so many services connected successfully and easily to Apple TV, I can’t imagine it’s some random setting at this point. Roon just doesn’t work with Apple TV as it says it does. That’s unfortunate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.