ARC App on Android Not Connecting to Roon After Update (ref#1XT95P)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

Other

You guys updated the ARC app on Android and it is not able to connect to Roon anymore since an update of the server is required. I checked my Roon Server and it is saying I am on the latest version.

What is the ARC version?

same issue with arc on iPhone since today.

What are the versions of RoonServer and ARC?

Roon server 2.0( built 1373) early access
Roon ARC 1.0.46 Build 232

Roonserver is 2.0 (build 1368) production. ARC is 1.0.47

So this is the latest Early Access for Server but not the accompanying ARC version:

Instead, it’s the latest Production version of ARC:

2 Likes

And for you it’s exactly the other wrong way around: you have the production version of server but looks like the Early Access version of ARC (Beta). See the version numbers in my previous post as well as the one from @jean-claude_mathurin above.

@Trevor_Jackson and @jean-claude_mathurin you both need to decide if you want to use early access or production, and then run the same on all Roon devices. Mixing them can sometimes work but will break if the differences from EA to production are too big.

Changing is described here:

Thanx for that explanation.

issue solved thanks a lot

1 Like

I removed myself from the beta program, uninstalled the app and reinstalled the app on my phone but I’m still having the same problem. When I look at the version that’s available on the Google store, it’s the same one that I had installed before I left the beta program. Needless to say, it’s still not working for me. :roll_eyes:

Same problem for me!

I am not an Android user anymore, but on Android the the Beta and the regular version are rolled into one stream of updates in the Play Store. So once the Beta version you have is too high, even if you leave the Beta program you need to wait for the next regular production update until you get put back on the regular track.

You can download the APK installer for the current version here:

That should get you going. However, remember that installing an APK means that you won’t get Play Store updates for this app anymore. So do this only for now, and when the next regular update arrives, reinstall it from the Play Store. That should return everything to normal including updates from the Play Store

Thanks for the info. I’m very technical and I know how to sideload but to be honest, as a consumer, that is too much work to be able to properly use the service that I paid for.

Why is Roon’s lack of proper release management my responsibility?

IMO, Roon needs to fix their release management so that they don’t break access to their apps because they don’t release versions in the proper sequence.

As far as I know in all previous known cases it turned out to be user error by people mixing release channels and installing EA/Beta on some and production on others. Not convinced that this is a release management issue this time, either.

However, Roon should be popping up warning messages when people do this (and already while it still works because at some point it won’t)

It most definitely is a release management issue.

1. If I’m part of the Beta channel and I update my app, there should be a warning that it may break my access so I can choose to update or not.

2. If there is a breaking change, at least give your customers the ability to revert to a non beta release so they can continue to use your service without requiring them to jump through hoops.

As it is now, the normal version that is available on the Play Store IS the Beta version that doesn’t work with the Production version of Roon. They should have never released this as a public release until the back end was ready.

Updating the mobile apps is done in the Play Store and this is under control of Google. I don’t think you can show arbitrary pop ups when someone clicks the button to join Beta, and you definitely can’t offer a downgrade in the Play Store - this is how it works on Android.

Well, this would be a release management error indeed. But @jean-claude_mathurin above DID have Roon ARC 1.0.46 Build 232, which is NOT the Beta (the problem there was the EA on the server). Can you post screenshots of what you see in the Play Store?

Here’s what the App info section on the play store shows:

Interestingly, it seems that the version is now showing 1.0.46 when it was showing 1.0.47 yesterday. I checked my mobile phone and I still had 1.0.47 installed so I uninstalled it and then tried installing from the play store again. This time, it downloaded 1.0.46 and now I am able to access ARC again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.