ARC bit-perfect in Android phone! [To External USB-DAC]

Oh - I haven’t seen that behaviour on my phone so far…

Got an error out of my Pixel 6 Pro + Schiit Gen2 USB (the one in Jotunheim first gen).

Same experience here

I too have seen this a few times over the last couple days since enabling the usb driver. Seems to be normal behaviour when pausing a song (after a few seconds it goes to that greyed out icon), but then seems to get stuck on it intermittently.

Is that correct?

Why is there a DAC thats capable of 24/192 then in any Android phone? If you are correct then there woulddnt be any point of having the capability.

When playing a 24/192 album in Qobuz, its showing as 24/192

Audio driver error here too. Pixel 6 Pro out usb to dongle DAC then headphones.

Edit: Apple usb c to 3.5mm dongle.

Also if I enable the beta switch the whole app crashes and closes.

Cheers

1 Like

Ian they need to know the make and model number of the DAC for testing purposes.

1 Like

Currently, in order to enjoy ARC’s usb driver with my Questyle M15 and the Xe6 iems, I start ARC and set the phone volume to minimum. Only then I start playing the 1st track, then step up the volume. All is (kind of) well so far.

Note: ARC usb, sounds GREAT!

Still waiting for that volume fix though.

Thanks

1 Like

I want to start off by saying thanks for working on this. It looks like it still needs a little bit of work, but I have no doubt it will get there.

Here are my experiences (and problems) so far. All of which is from a Google Pixel 4A running Android 13.

iFi Go Blu connected via USB:
Audio Device Error message whenever I attempt to play a song.

iFi Go Blu connected via Bluetooth:
Works as expected, but going through android driver and resampled to 48Khz

FiiO KA3 connected via USB:
Plays back audio with the beta driver, but weird anomalies occur. The volume slider appears to control both the built in speakers of my phone as well as the FiiO KA3 DAC/AMP. When I press the play button on the app I get a weird static/pop from the phone speakers, then the music plays out of the DAC. Any kind of notification on my phone will cause the same sound to recurr, a click that is louder based on the volume I’ve set in Roon ARC (for my DAC), but the sound comes out my phone speakers. Putting the phone in DND mode helps minimize this, but it still occurs from time to time (a few times per song) and I haven’t figured out the trigger/cause. Usually the song micro-pauses when this happens, but not always.

Anyway. It’s almost there. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Mark

The LG30 is one of these phones:

Sound quality of ARC when Playing through ‘Lossless’ mode with no software volume control sound ( I used AK HC2 hardware volume app) is very good.

The overall SQ when compared to UAPP app which I used exclusively for my mobile listening is improved. The highs are more discerning and overall soundstage seems to open up. I’ve been comparing both of them and I must said, Roon teams have somehow nailed it.

It is a good start, hope they will bring in hardware volume control into ARC. This will be almost perfect!:grin:

2 Likes

Can not control volume using Focal Bathys DAC Mode.

1 Like

Anyone notice the DSD playback strategy - Convert to PCM was gone after using USB driver? Even for PCM only Dongle like Dragonfly Red?

Volume control not working with UGreen USB Hi-fi Audio Pro (fortunately fixed volume just right with HE-4XX). Another LG V60 user looking forward to support for internal DAC support.

Can you not use the Naim/Focal App to reduce the volume until they get it sorted?

I can not do that because:

1. The Naim/Focal App can only adjust EQ, Noise Cancellation, and LED. There is no volume adjustment option for Bathys.
  2. The Naim/Focal App can not connect to Bathys and adjust anything when the headphone is under DAC mode. The application only works in Bluetooth mode.
1 Like

Ok wasn’t aware of that let’s hope they fix it soon.

1 Like

So im confused here. Having a Sony Xperia that can decode 24/192, should we be seeing bit perfect instead of high quality if using the phones DAC? Is it true that No Android phone can play back Hi Res audio? (I find that hard to belive tbh as why would there be the capability to playback 24/192 if Android wont let it).

If that not true and at present its only to an external DAC via USB, is the assumption that roon are working on applying this to Android phones that dont use an external DAC?

I mean, I can play Qobuz Hi Res on my phone and it states Hires 192, so I am assuming its not lying

Cheers

3 Likes

Smartphone
Sony Xperia 5 II

USB DAC
Zorloo Ztella MQA version

Issues

• initial volume is at maximum. dangerous to start playback while wearing earbuds/headphones
  • (of course) MQA rendering not supported