ARC + CarPlay + Voice Dictation = Crashy

iPhone 15 Pro Max - iOS 17.1.2 (this behavior has been an issue since iOS 17 came out) - Wired Apple CarPlay - 2022 Mazda CX-5

50% of the time if I invoke Siri to dictate while driving while listening to ARC, CarPlay crashes

If I am at a stop light and press the iOS voice dictation button (e.g. using Messages app) while using ARC, CarPlay most definitely crashes.

ARC is the only app I use that has this issue. Haven’t found a fix other than to never use Siri while driving or pull the plug on the phone and then use it

Siri sucks for anything but CarPlay IMO. I had no idea she hated Roon ARC that much. I’m still on iOS 16, thanks for the heads up, I do not have this issue with iOS 16 on my iPhone SE1

1 Like

Siri doesn’t work for ARC in CarPlay? I wish it did

Probably need to tell Apple.

Works fine for Spotify, so it’s Roon

I do have a different problem which may share the same root: when I am listening music through ark (which let me say: it’s great!) Siri had issues reading out the messages, and also maps have issue with audio notification.

I am not a technical expert but it seems that Apple CarPlay and ARC are fighting over the control of the car audio.

This does not happen (obviously) with Apple Music.

Its a minor issue but on long journeys can be a pain.

I reported ARC and CarPlay issues in regard to ARC taking control.

@connor - Could you open my topic back up please.

I can confirm @Doug_Hannah’s experience.

1 Like

Just curious, what in vehicle head units are involved here? I’m not certain that all CarPlay implementations are quite " created equal".

I’ve just installed a Kenwood DMX9720XDS and will be experimenting with Arc in the upcoming days. Active navigation messages and general Siri interaction are important to me … this’ll be interesting.

I’m on an iPhone 15 Pro Max running 17.3. Feedback will follow.

with mine its the built in Mazda “infotainment” system which includes CarPlay