ARC connection help

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 i7 11000

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Dlink 256g router in bridge mode (internet modem mode)
Asus RT AX82U router
Roon Core is ethernet to Asus router
No VPN
My ISP says I don’t have a static IP, but that it doesn’t change unless I turn off my modem, which I amost never do. My IP is 147.235.xxx.xxx

ISP is Bezeq, Israel

Connected Audio Devices

Stack Audio LinkII
iPad
HP Laptop

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon ARC error message
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“147.ddd.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}

can you explain to me in plain english What I need to do to get ARC connectivity?

btw: here’s what I see in my router’s WAN setup:

@support
It’s been a week since I posted.
No response?
It’s not a complicated issue. Just tell me what the Roon error message means in plain English.

See the help page, specifically

Less Common Errors
Miscellaneous UPnP error

on

The exact error is not there but it may be similar to this:

“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: ConnectFailure”} }

At least probably worth trying the fixes for this one

Yes, I’d seen that…
I put in port forwarding and a port trigger. Also tried a different port number. Didn’t change anything.

(obviously I’m not including the full source ip here, I tried it with and without source ip)
still got:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“147.ddd.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}

Still hoping to hear from @support

Menzies is also just a user doing his best. Roon support response times are rarely great but currently worse because they are understaffed. Expect more days :frowning:

1 Like

Source IP will limit external access to requests coming from this particular IP. You probably don’t want that. (This setting is not supposed to be the router’s external IP. It limits from which external IPs on the Internet the router accepts connections)

You did double-check that your Windows machine with the Roon Core is at 192.168.50.250 and the Roon ARC settings expect port 55000 ?

Any firewalling on the Windows machine that might block 55000 ?

1 Like

It’s also possible that it’s the ISP’s fault. See other Bezeq experiences here, maybe something helps?

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?context=topic&context_id=251642&q=bezeq&skip_context=true

In particular:

ARC now supports IPv6 with the regular production version. However, it doesn’t with all of them. I note that your ARC error message does NOT list a v6 address, so possibly Bezeq is not exclusively v6

1 Like

Bezeq’s IPv4 is CG-NAT, which means you don’t get a real IP.
Look at the WAN IP your router gets in the status page. If it’s different from the IP you get using whatismyip.com than you’re behind a CG-NAT and port forwarding won’t work.

1. Get a static IP.
  2. Get IPv6 to work.
  3. Use a VPN like Tailscale. That works great for me.
2 Likes

okay, why when I write @support does it automatically turn into @AMT?

Thanks I will try that.

I don’t think it does. As soon as you type @ it opens a menu with the user names that already posted in the current thread, to make it easy to pick one. Like so:

If you don’t want either, simply continue to write the name that you want. Then the menu shows additional known usernames from the forum (not just the current thread) starting with this character:

Hi @danny2

As @Suedkiez mentions I am just a fellow user with a low level amount of experience with networks.

I’ve broken my Arc port forwarding rule to show you a typical error with a private IP from an ISP. I put the incorrect IP for my core in the rule.

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“Success”,“status_code”:200,“error”:“”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“86.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

This is the error code if the port is incorrect.

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 86.aaa.bbb.ccc:55000, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“86.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

I recommend you confirm your cores IP and port settings under the Arc tab in Roons settings.

My errors do not match yours, which are fairly commen. Normally a multinat error is displayed it a public IP address from your ISP, but things might be different with your ISP.

Come back to us with your cores IP and port and we can see what else we can advise.

Also. Either try UPNP or a port forwarding rule, but not both together.

You don’t need to specify a source IP either.

:innocent:

1 Like

So I don’t have a real IP. Status page IP is different from whatismyip.
Means?
I should enable IPv6 in my router settings?
Set up a VPN on the router? Does it matter what type of VPN? Are there free VPN’s to setup on the router?
Can I setup a VPN just for Roon and not for the rest of what I’m doing?

again, @support
please chime in

Hi @danny2

You could discuss with your ISP to see if they can out you on a private IP.

There’s this thread here.

You could try and use IPv6.

And this

tried using early access and ipv6 - didn’t help.
The ISP says they can give me a permanent IP after the weekend. Hopefully that will solve it.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you :crossed_fingers:

If this doesn’t help, a VPN might be your only solution :man_shrugging:

got a permanent ip. My ISP says no IPv6 connection is possible. This is the error message I now get:
{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“85.nnn.ooo.ppp”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
}
@support ever going to look here?
Any idea what to do?

Seems like your core tried to configure itself using UPnP and failed.
You can either enable UPnP and check if the core configures itself correctly, or enable port forwarding to the core.
Just make sure that the core will always have the same IP in the network.

Yep, thanks.
Port forwarding now works. And I can play my library with ARC on my phone over my cellular data link.

I have my core setup with a static IP on the home network.

Still bugs me that support doesn’t look at these posts.
I’m very glad for your help and the others also, but Roon support should chime in on this stuff. It would probably taken me much less time to get a solution if they had…

Thanks again.

1 Like