ARC Connectivity Issues After Build 1401 Update (ref#VXTY9D)

Full form submission

Network Setup

· I use a single personal router not provided by my ISP

ARC Status

· ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

· “natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}, “upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”} }

Have you successfully located and enabled the UPnP or NAT-PMP settings in your router's web UI?

· I've turned UPnP/ NAT-PMP on and ARC won't connect

Select the Diagnostic Keyword or Text String

· Something else

Don't give up yet.

· I'm stuck. I'd like to create a post to ask Roon Community for help.

Describe the issue

ARC quit working after build 1401 update. Running Roon server/remote on Mac Studio M2 Max on MacOS 14.4.1, connected via Ethernet to Asus RT-AC3200 router with NAT and uPnP enabled. Tried ports other than 55000 in Roon ARC setup. Tried cycling Asus NAT and uPnP off then on, and rebooting router, did not help. USP is Lumos fiber, 1G up and down.

Diagnostics data:

{
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"74.aaa.bbb.ccc","actual_external_ipv6":"null","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"server_ip":"192.168.1.1","found_upnp":true,"error":"doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError"}
}

Describe your network setup

ISP Lumos Fiber, Network device: Zhone model: ZNID-GPON-2424A-NA Rev F1, Roon Server/ARC PC connected via Ethernet, MacOS 14.4.1

See here, it’s a generic UPnP error, might just be router confusion possibly caused by the update and hence the UPnP client changing. Possibly rebooting everything incl. the router helps:

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately this didn’t help. Here are my further troubleshooting steps and results:

a. Power off Mac Studio, power off/on fiber modem and Asus router, wait for Internet connectivity, then power on Mac Studio, start Roon, go to "Roon ARC” set up page: “Not ready” get this diagnostic data:

{

“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“74.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“100.65.212.9”},

“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}

}

b. Hit “reset” next to “PORT” on Roon ARC set up page, get this diagnostic data (different this time):

{

“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“74.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}

}

Also PORT incremented from 55000 to 55002.

c. Change PORT back to 55000 on Roon ARC setup page, retry. Result: exact same diagnostics data.

After step „a“:

This is already a different error. See the error code in the previously linked help page. Does that mean something to you?

Then after step „b“ you have essentially the same error as before. Which is weird.

Thank you for the follow up, and I appreciate the highlighted troubleshooting link. ARC had been working (with the gradually ramping down inherent bugs and lousy feature implementation) for years. Then here comes a new release and it doesn’t. My carrier, modem, and router and its settings have not changed. I will call my carrier to see if they can tell me if they’ve implemented CGNAT or other changes, but it seems most likely that Roon broke ARC in the latest release, as that was the single change that triggered the problem.

1 Like

Yeah, I have no idea what it’s going on, so I wondered if you had gone through the MultipleNat already in the past and this update somehow brought it back.

Certainly the timing makes it seem like the update had an effect, but on the other hand ISPs do change things and weird coincidences happen.

You may need official support to show up and investigate why it stopped working for you.

Hi @likeanice1903,

Thank you for the report. Lumos hasn’t broadly implemented CG-NAT, especially if you are on an account in a region acquired through their Northstate merger (Upper midwest or Midatlantic region, generally). It’s perhaps worth checking with them for due diligence, but we’ll investigate diagnostics with development in the meantime.

Unless the Zhone ONT modem is performing NAT - I don’t believe it has this capability - then there’s likely another cause here. We can see connection refusals in diagnostics when you called the port test by refreshing the ARC settings page in Roon. The failures are generic, but one possible mechanism is that the UPnP stack in the router is out of date. A router power cycle would have likely triggered a firmware update if one were available - I’d check just in case and make sure the main router is updated.

In the meantime, you can try to create a manual port forwarding rule in the ASUS settings pointing to the IP address and port in Roon Settings → ARC. Disable UPnP once this rule has been created - please let us know if that helps. We’ll follow up once we’ve synced with devs. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Connor. Indeed I’ve been checking for router firmware updates, none pending. Your comment about possible UPnP stack being out of date lead me to check the Asus website and I found my RT-AC3200 is on the end-of-life list, so I will get a new router pronto.

Another issue I’ve found is that after the new Roon update, one of two of my Apple AirPort Express units disappears from the list in the Audio Settings page. Power cycling the AirPort Express unit allows it to reappear for a while. They are used with their radios off, wired via Ethernet to the main router. I know this is another piece of old kit, but still useful in my application.

I will follow up when the new router is in place.

Connor I forgot to mention my ISP fiber service is the former Northstate service in NC that Lumos acquired, but I will still check on CGNAT.

Connor I replaced the old router with Asus ZenWiFi XT9 and updated its firmware. With UPnP enabled, the result was the same, Roon ARC failed. I then set the Mac Studio PC Roon is running on to a static IP, disabled UPnP, and created a port forwarding rule. I am not sure if the rule is configured properly so please see attached screen shot from the router as well as Roon ARC setup test result. Please let me know if you need more information or if I should try something else.

Connor- PS on the AirPort Express problem I noted with the new Roon update: One of the 2 Airport Express modules was removed yesterday, as it was also used as an access point in the home network and was replaced with a 2nd Asus ZenWiFI XT9. The other AirPort Express has remained active in the Roon Settings Audio list for over a day. So please ignore that issue as of now.

hey, I have the same issue on my Roon server at home. I can play music with iPad, iPhone and on my mac (even Roon ARC in my car), but my airport (boxes in house) connection switches from IP-adress, so sometimes it’s visible, sometimes not. So I can’t play music via my airport anymore, without changing anything in router of IP settings. Only after the update it has been messed up.

Zoef: This is interesting. Can you explain what you mean by “but my airport (boxes in house) connection switches from IP-adress, so sometimes it’s visible, sometimes not?”

I had to do a power cycle some days ago on the AirPort Express that was not showing up in Roon to make it show up. What is really odd is that Roon is showing the box IP as outside my LAN (192.168.50.xxx) which I don’t understand. See screenshot, “Airpot Den.”

Connor: Comment?

Conor: For grins I disconnected the remaining AirPort Express which had a Raspberry Pi (running RoPieee) connected to its expansion Ethernet port to see if it may be confusing the network. The Ethernet cable that ran to the AirPort Express was reconnected to the Pi. The Pi shows up in the Roon Setting Audio list properly. With UPnP enabled in the router. Roon ARC still does not work. I think this diagnostic is different however, see just below. Then I hit “reset” next to the Port ID in Roon, and ARC still failed with no diagnostic. Using the circular refresh arrow in the upper right corner of the ARC page yielded a different diagnostic (see at bottom).

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“216.aaa.aaa.bbb”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“216.aaa.aaa.bbb”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“100.65.218.87”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

I see the IP in my audio overview - airplay computer is switching in the end from 189 to 182 - back and forth. This is only since the latest release.

When I take a look some hours later, airplay is completely not showing up between my ‘other network devices’.

I’m not that technical, so I try to understand what happens in the background. But for me since the latest release I can’t play my music anymore via the airport connection.

I’ve got an answer they are aware of this connectivity problem with airport and trying to make a fix.

“Just updated to build 1401. Now Roon will not airplay to eversolo dmp A8. Help”

What is odd, Roon appears to think Airplay computer is playing. you can see by this screenshot where the equalizer icon is playing), but i don’t hear any sound.

Connor I have verified that Roon is dropping one of my two Apple Airport Express (AAE) units after some time, usually hours (e.g. overnight). It disappears in the Settings->Audio list. Every Roon-related device in the network is wired via Ethernet, including the two AAE units, so this isn’t a WiFi-related issue. Powering off and on the AAE unit affected brings it back online. So this is a real problem that did not occur prior to the latest release.

Thank you Zoef. I have also verified an issue with AirPlay that is intermittent, and reported it back. It seems there are a number of networking bugs introduced in the latest release.

Connor a quick try of version 1407 did not fix the Roon ARC problem at least on the first try. Here is the diagnostic:
{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“216.aaa.aaa.bbb”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“100.65.218.87”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

See Roon Build 1400+ : Issues with Airplay Connection to Certain Endpoints [Ticket In, Fix Forthcoming] - #104 by DDPS