ARC crashes with AirPods (Gen2) (Announcement settings)

Roon Core Machine

iPhone XS Max 256GB iOS16

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT Hub 5

Connected Audio Devices

CarPlay → USB

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

With Apple CarPlay, I’ve noticed when I have the iPhone with ARC running and I connect my AirPods (Gen2) the app freezes and then finally crashes. Sometimes connecting or disconnecting the USB to the iPhone can cause crashes. This started happening with the update to ARC the other day.

I can restart the app and it works fine. It’s just something that happens every so when when I go to disconnect from the car. I’ve tried to look for crash data but nothing is stored under Roon.

Roon has not issued a CarPlay integration app, although it sorta works sometimes.

1 Like

So it seems, when I connect my Gen3 AirPods, the ARC app freezes up and then goes to a black screen and finally crashes. I’ve been having a fair few crashes these passes few days.

Hey @Formula ,

Thanks for the report here. ARC doesn’t support Carplay yet, but it is strange that you are seeing a crash with your Airpods too.

Can you please let us know the exact local time + date when you next experience this behavior with your Airpods? We can enable logging and see if the logs provide us with any clues. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s happened a lot the last few days. The new behaviour currently is when I’m listening on ARC, and I get a text through with announcement on, the music stops, and I get a static sound and the music hesitates like it’s loosing connection. I won’t hear music again unless I access the phone. This also causes the app to crash.

I’ll keep an eye on it tomorrow and update here when it happens.

It’s not about CarPlay now.

07:57 - Thursday, 20 October 2022 (BST)

17:38 - Thursday, 20 October 2022 (BST)

Hey @Formula,

Thanks for the info. After investigating your account in more detail, we’re seeing that your iPhone may be trying to connect to an unsupported audio device when this instance pops up.

Do you have any other devices in your car that may be trying to connect to your iPhone? Does this happen in specific areas of your house? Or, while you’re in the car?

Today it happened when I got in my car, removed my AirPods and plugged in the usb cable to my CarPlay stereo.
I don’t use Bluetooth within the car, it is hardwired. So the only device are my AirPods.

This afternoon I purposely put my AirPods in, started ARC (as you should see on the log), play a song and put my phone on loud. I then locked the phone and waited for someone to reply to my text.

This time I didn’t hear the announcement come through, the music stuttered, and cut out and I had a notification come up on my phone. Usually Siri reads out my texts, but on this instance it didn’t. As soon as I unlocked the phone, the music crackled like static and eventually came back and started playing again.

I’m not sure if this can be replicated? Here are my steps: (ask someone to send you a text message, an iMessage text)
Put the phone on loud
Ensure you have the announcement setting is on
Put in AirPods
Start ARC
Play a song
Then lock the phone.

The issue doesn’t happen with WhatsApp. And, it is only ARC that I have ever faced this issue. With my job I have my AirPods on 6+ hours (it keeps me sane).

10:12 - Friday, 21 October 2022 (BST)

The phone was on silent and then the music just cut off. And I checked my phone to see that I had an iMessage (text).

The music is still play, and ARC shows it’s it’s playing. But there isn’t any sound. So in the logs it should show that I paused it and unpaused it.

10:16 - Friday, 21 October 2022 (BST)

Just got back into the car, and plugged in the usb. Music stopped playing and the app crashed.

Hey @Formula,

Thank you for the information. While we continue to dig into this further, please remove arc from your mobile device, give it a hard reboot, and reinstall arc on your phone.

After doing this, please run through your normal process and reproduce the issue. From there, please use the directions found here and send over a set of iOS logs to our File Uploader.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :pray:

Aww man, I just downloaded so much offline music to my phone!

I’ll start the process, now… :joy:

1 Like

20:32 - Friday, 21 October 2022 (BST)

Managed to replicate it. The music completely cut off, stuttered, then came back halfway through as Siri was reading out my message. Will, get the log uploaded.

Just cut out again at: 20:39 - Friday, 21 October 2022 (BST)

@benjamin Right, it seems there is no ‘Save log to files’ under ARC settings. It only shows it under ROON?

Hey @Formula,

My apologies for the delay here, and I’m sorry to hear you’re still running into this issue. Since we have not yet found anything telling in regards to this crash, we’ll likely need to see about getting a copy of your iOS system logs to take a deeper look.

If possible could you run through the step by step on this article and see if you could upload a set via our File Uploader?

I’ll look at this tomorrow, Ben. Thanks!

1 Like

As a side note. I’d thought I’d turn off announce messages within the iOS settings, and this has stopped the issue (which I thought it would). So, this is clearly an issue with announcements and the ARC app. Or some sort of bug/communication from playing a song in the app, to being paused/lower the volume to announce the message, and then continue playing.

Is anyone with an iOS device in the dev team able to reproduce it?

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Formula, no one from our team is able to reproduce this issue yet. While they continue to test this, I’d like to test a few things on your end simultaneously.

First, let’s give your AirPods a hard reset:

1. Start by putting your AirPods back into their case.
  2. Close the lid; wait 30 seconds before opening it again.
  3. Open the Settings app in your iPhone.
  4. Choose Bluetooth, then click the ‘i’ icon next to your AirPods.
  5. Choose Forget This Device.
  6. Tap a second time to confirm your selection.
  7. With the lid left open, press and hold down on the Setup button (it’s the circular one) on the back of the case. Hold for 15 seconds or until the LED status light flashes amber.
  8. Place your AirPods near your device.
  9. Follow all prompts to reconnect your AirPods.
  10. Finally, check if your AirPods still cause Arc to crash while connected.

And a few follow-up questions for you after performing this (and if the issue persists):

1. Do you own an apple watch?
  2. Does this issue happen on any Bluetooth device, headphones or speaker? Or, is it just with your airpods?

The following steps have corrected the issue. I’ll continue testing today and see how I get on.

1 Like