ARC poor connection message (again)

Core: ROCK 2.0 build 1259
Home network: fully wired
ARC: 1.0.36, iPhone 13, iOS 16.4.1
ISP: UK, BT fibre

I’ve posted on this previously but the thread is now closed… According to my Roon desktop, ARC is working, But periodically when I go to use ARC on my phone, I get the “poor connection” message, even if I am on my home wifi. This is getting really old now. If I go to the “Reset Roon ARC” option in Settings, I get a warning that all my downloads will be deleted. This is a real inconvenience, as it’s not the first time I am faced with the prospect of having to download many gigabytes of music, just because ARC has spontaneously stopped working. I have of course rebooted the Core but that did not fix it.

Is there any way for me to re-establish a connection without deleting all my downloads? Can anyone from Roon comment on a potential root cause? On the face of it I have a set-up that ought to be fully supported, but ARC continues to be very unreliable.

I attempted the “reset ARC” option in the iPhone app and ARC refused to accept my (correct) login credentials. I had to delete the app and start all over. My phone is now running a very large download (again).

I only tend to use ARC when I am heading off on a trip when I know I’ll be without internet access, so ARC’s very flaky reliability in terms of maintained connections is very inconvenient. My environment is standard as far as I can tell, I’m running Roon/ARC on supported devices and my core has a static IP on my LAN and my router has the port forwarding rule set up. And yet occasionally, even whe Roon desktop says that all is good with ARC, the app on my iPhone is having none of it.

I am having a similar problem with my DAP (an Astell & Kern SP3000). ARC works fine on my iPhone, but the DAP consistently shows the “poor connection” message. I’ve deleted and downloaded/reinstalled the app, I even did a system reset on the DAP. Nothing solves the problem. I see that many others have been plagued with similar issues, on phones, DAPs, etc. Very frustrating.

Hi @ACvitus ,

Can you please let us know the exact local time + date when you next experience this issue on your home WiFi network?

Can you please let us know the model/manufacturer of the networking gear that you are using?

thanks for enquiring about this. I use Arc somewhat infrequently, but if this issue happens again I’ll post the date/time.

My network switch is an unmanaged Netgear GS116, my router is a BT Smarthub 2.

1 Like

Any updates on this? I’m having the same problem.

Hello,

I also constantly get the bad connection message when starting ARC.

My Roon Core is connected directly to a FritzBox 7530 via cable. It doesn’t matter to me whether the iPhone is in the home WiFi, 5G, or in someone else’s WiFi.

The message remains the same, always right when you start the ARC app.

I am getting the same poor connection message on iPhone 13 Pro on same home network and wifi on which Roon works perfectly with my MacBook Pro. Around 230PM Pacific Time June 7

Same here. Arc reliability has gone way down for me. Starting running Qobuz stand-alone app but that’s not really what I wanted.

I’m thinking the same way now that Qobuz is available in Canada

Same problem here. This is beyond annoying. I rarely use ARC, and this is one of the reasons… it’s a self reinforcing cycle… I very infrequently use ARC, but when I do, I always have this problem and lose my downloads. So in those infrequent moments when I decide I want to use ARC again, I typically don’t even bother, because I know I’m going to run into this problem. AGAIN. Like now.

Someone needs to fix this, it;s clearly a persistent bug that has been around for a VERY long time.

Yep same here, poor connection every time, need to rest and then lose downloads, very frustrating

This has become such a frequent problem that I’m almost debating dropping roon all together if this doesn’t get fixed soon. it’s very frustrating cuz 50% of the listening I do is on the go. I dont pay for roon just to use the qobuz app half the time.

Hey Everyone,

I’m sorry to hear you’re still experiencing connectivity issues with Arc! To confirm, are you running the latest version of Arc - build 182?

While it may be inconvenient, please fully remove Arc on your mobile device and download + reinstall a fresh version with the latest build while connected to stable WiFi.

I understand your frustration here! Having to redownload anything can be a pain. One small thought to ease the pain, for now, could be to create a specific playlist filled with all the content you typically download to your mobile device. From there, you can set Arc to download the playlist as a whole, and hopefully save you some time while we continue to troubleshoot.

I’ll be on standby for replies! :pray:

FYI, I downloaded Roon ARC 1.0.38, Build 182 from the APK site to my DAP and the “poor connection” issue is gone. It is working beautifully now.

Confirmed. Was on 182 before I posted. Or more specifically, when I read about Muse, I knew I needed to download the latest version. So I did. Then upon bringing up ARC (running core on latest stable ROCK) I was hit with the poor connection message.

That is an excellent suggestion to hold us over. Thank you very much. Will do. :slight_smile:

As an additional bit of info, my WiFi is rock solid. Would be happy to provide details, but not much would appear to matter except to say that I’ve got 25+ devices on my WiFi all the time, and it all works ALL the time. I’m talking about not having a network issue - WiFi or otherwise - for years. Years. All except for ARC.

I do get “poor connection” after every SW update. The only way to fix it is to uninstall ARC and than install it again. After that is works again - no “poor connection”. Goes for my android DAP and my iPhone - sometimes only on my android 10 DAP (Fiio M11 Plus and iPhone 11)

Torben

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.