ARC "poor connection"

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have added the ARC app to my iPhone however, no matter where I am and whether I am connected via broadband or a strong cellular connections (4 bars on iPhone), I get a “poor connection” message and the app will not allow me to browse my library.

How do I solve this?

Thanks.

Joel Salkowitz

2 posts were split to a new topic: Arc Bad Connection Issue

I’m seeing this also. Even happens locally.

I had poor connection and 80% since updating Ventura to 13.2. I just: updated arc, reset arc, disabled firewall on 13.2, restarted core comp. Now it is ok. I do not know if is the same problem but maybe

Thanks Traian. I reset ARC, and re-added the core - it seems to work now, but reports “Core last seen 2 months ago”. :thinking:

1 Like

Hope it works, I was getting weird “core last seen…” messages within a day never months, but if it works… Very weird problems with sharing in 13.2

6 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Arc Issues On Nuc Core

I have never been able to move past this point on any of my devices. Can’t seem to get answer from Roon. If you get a workaround, please let us know!

I would recommend creating a new topic in #support and completing the requested information.
It may take a little time, till it gets to the top of their queue, but someone from Roon’s @support will follow it up for you.

1 Like

Hey @Joel_Salkowitz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and welcome to the community! I wanted to check in on the status of Arc for you. Can you please provide a bit more information around your system setup?

Do you see these errors pop up over both wifi and cellular data?

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Hello Ben…
Yes, errors occur over both Wifi and cellular connections…including the Wifi network in my home that the Roon Core Computer and NAS are part of.

Thx.

Hey @Joel_Salkowitz,

Per my previous request, we’ll need more information. Here are a few things to test with your router:

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Hi Ben,

Just wanted to come back to you and thank you for your help. There was a VPN I use for a remote desktop connection to my work that must have been interfering with Roon. Since disabling it, Roon Core connectivity to ARC has improved a great deal.

However, one issue I still do notice is that, if my internet connection or wifi connection goes down, even momentarily, the Roon desktop app on my iMac will crash. This means that, if I am away from home and therefore unable to restart Roon, I lose connection to my core.

Is there a way to restart my Roon Core or desktop app remotely or to make them automatically reboot once internet or wifi connectivity is restored?

Many thanks,
Will

Hey @Will_Mitchell,

Thanks for letting me know!

There isn’t any way to do this for now, but, Roon also shouldn’t be crashing if your internet drops out momentarily. The expected behavior would be more around you temporarily losing connection from Arc and your core, until your internet connection has been restored in which you’d be back online and good to go.

How is your core connected to your router? And, how often do you lose internet connection? It may be worth saving a backup, and doing a fresh install of Roon on your iMac. I’d also give your router a hard reboot, and make sure to hardwire it to your iMac via ethernet if possible.

Do you use your iMac to control Roon as well? If you primarily use your phone to control Roon, installing Roonserver may be a good thing to try out as well.

With that, if possible, could you grab a specific timestamp (date and time) the next time this issue pops up? From there, we’ll be able to dig deeper into your account diagnostics to take a closer look. :+1:

Thanks Ben.

Issue has reoccurred today (25th February) at around 1330 local time (GMT)

Thanks,
Will

Hey @Will_Mitchell,

Thanks for sending that info over. We’re not seeing anything directly related to the crashing unfortunately. If possible, cold you please run through my above questions:

As a next step, please refresh your Roon database and see if the issue persists:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :pray:

Hi Ben,

Just to let you know I followed your instructions and completely reinstalled the Roon application but the same problem has reoccured at 0940 GMT today. I had Roon open overnight but when I came to use it it was beach balling and I had to force quit. Now I have reopened Roon but automatic connectivity to Arc has been lost again.

In answer to your questions, my Roon Core is connected via Wifi to my router and I lose Wifi connection maybe once a day but it varies.

I do use the Roon application on my iMac to control Roon, as well as using my iPhone for Roon Remote and Arc.

I am going to restore my backup now because I want to get access to my playlists.

Thanks,
Will

Hey @Will_Mitchell,

Please test out hardwiring your core directly to your router, and let me know if your issues persist. :pray:

Hi Ben,

I am very sorry but I cannot run a cable from my router to my machine. Unfortunately, since I reinstalled Roon, the issue has gotten a lot worse. I now typically have a 2 hour window were Roon ARC connects to my core automatically before it loses the connection. I then have to restart Roon to get it to work again.

Many thanks for your help.

Will

I do this with Splashtop Personal ($15.99 per year).

The ultimate answer for a wired connection to your router might be to run Roon on a NUC or Mac Mini and use a Roon bridge device connected by WIFI.

1 Like