ARC "poor connection"

thanks! I will look into Splashtop

Verizon Modem (supplied by verizon/FIOS)
Ubiquiti UDM PRO Router
FIOS Business Internet Service
Modem in BRIDGE mode (I believe). All port forwarding done in router.
Port manually configured in router.
Static IP assigned to ROON Core. Settings for IP address & port in router match settings in ROON.
ARC settings in Core indicate “READY…Roon ARC can securely access your Roon Core”

ARC worked…briefly. Hasn’t worked in several months now.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Verizon Modem (supplied by verizon/FIOS)
Ubiquiti UDM PRO Router
FIOS Business Internet Service
Modem in BRIDGE mode (I believe). All port forwarding done in router.
Port manually configured in router.
Static IP assigned to ROON Core. Settings for IP address & port in router match settings in ROON.
ARC settings in Core indicate “READY…Roon ARC can securely access your Roon Core”

ARC worked…briefly. Hasn’t worked in several months now.

Hey @Joel_Salkowitz,

Sorry to hear you’re still running into connectivity issues with Arc!

If possible, can you take note of the date and time the next time you run into a poor connection issue?

This tells us that the issue is not within the port forwarding rule. If you’re showing READY, then you’ve successfully set up port forwarding for Arc. The issue either lies with the mobile device, or your general connection from your core to your router. Is your core device currently hardwired via ethernet directly to your router?

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin…

Just tried it again today (5/31) at 7:00pm. Same message.

Core is hardwired to Ubiquiti router.

Thanks.

JS

Hey @Joel_Salkowitz,

Thanks for the note! What port number are you using for Arc? If possible, could you test out using a different port number? I’m seeing reoccurring errors similar to:

Invalid URI: Invalid port specified.

I’m curious if maybe your router is attempting to change the port number and therefore causing a hiccup to lose active connection to Arc when you are in a session. Let me know!

Ben…

changed port to: 55010 (previously 55002)
Static IP address from ISP
Static IP address on ROON Core PC
Ubiquiti Router

Same result.

BUT…I then did a RESET on the app on the iPhone and logged back in. It now appears to be working!

I am guessing that the log-out and reset on the app is what actually fixed the problem. I have other things including an FTP on this network and have never had an issue with port forwarding. This router is also VERY good.

Stay tuned.

Joel S

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Arc is suffering from poor connection errors

On iPhone 13 I’ve reinstalled roon arc but no joy in fixing the poor condition issue

Any idea?

Sorry to jump in here @Will_Mitchell but why don’t you run RoonServer and Roon on you desktop computer?
That way you do not need to have the Roon app open all the time, this may help your issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might try it.

Things have been working generally quite well for me for the last few months (I secretly suspect Roon fixed some of the “Poor Connection” issues via a software release. But if I encounter any more issues I will look at switching to Roon Server.

Thanks

Well I had some issues this week so I took the plunge and downloaded Roon Server.

Roon ARC looks to be working perfectly. But now I am having issues with Roon Remote. Neither the app on my iphone or on my iMac can find the core; both worked fine for about 3 hours, but now, just as I was starting to get relaxed and thinking I would never have to worry about Roon again, both apps have lost connection to the core.

At this point I am starting to consider cancelling my subscription. Roon is amazing but getting it work is like a never ending war.

I feel your pain @Will_Mitchell, it feels to me like a network issue.

I haven’t had this issue myself (yet) but I recently “upgraded” my ASUS RT-AC88U router to the RT-AX88U. Now I cannot play to my old wireless Zeppelin Air without constant issues, in fact I can’t play to it all as of two days ago. It seems like it is being knocked off the network by all the other IOT devices I have in the house but then if someone uses Netflix to the TV which is completely hardwired it instantly stops the music playing through the Zeppelin even though the progress bar moves in the Roon app. It’s driving me insane.
And don’t get me started on how useless ARC on CarPlay has become for me. Up to now I have felt very loyal to Roon, even been accused of being a “fanboy” :laughing:

I purchased lifetime but if I hadn’t I would cancel my subscription and just use Apple services, they just seem to work!! Having just said that, I feel my issue with the Zeppelin could be network related and somehow its due to the Zeppelin being an old wi-fi g spec device, my other wireless speaker from B&W uses “n” and hasn’t failed yet.

Your issues sound more like a local network issue and nothing to do with Roon if playing Netflix apn another device affects things.

Like I said at the end of my post thanks @CrystalGipsy. You know what it’s like, when something doesn’t work properly for a period of time and you can’t work it out, the frustration sets in. I haven’t been able to listen to music on the Zeppelin or a B&W A7 without it cutting out for months now. It has to be something to do with them both being wi-fi “g” standard.

When I grouped the A7 with my B&W Formation Flex, which is “n” standard, music did not stop at all at first. I’m thinking something is wrong in the ASUS router firmware (I use the Merlin version, which was excellent in my previous AC-88U) but is it possible that Roon has some bugs that aren’t helping, I don’t know.

At the moment I don’t have the time or energy to spend a vast amount of time troubleshooting or trawling through forums, which really is my only option. So now I’m frustrated with Roon and have to fall back to using Apple remote to my iTunes library, which luckily I still have.

I’ve been having the “poor connection” error along with the mute black screen. Today when I was about to depart home I attempted to start Arc in my car but it wouldn’t connect. So followings comments on the issue I turned off wifi. No change. Then in case it was a mobile issue I turned on and off Airplane mode. No change still wouldn’t connect. Tried rebooting the phone. No change. So needless to say my frustration level was rising rapidly. The thought then occurred to me that if this was my car and it failed to start as often as Arc, I would probably be looking for a replacement vehicle by now. What’s even more confounding is that when Arc was first launched, without me doing anything other than installing the app it just connected and worked first time. Whatever changes/improvements have been added since launch seem to somehow break what was a reliable product. As is often quoted “technology is great…when it works!” which in my recent experience with Arc is it’s not working consistently that often. Now then…off to look for my next car.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.