ARC: Port Forwarding with Linksys mesh system [Solved - Request Static IPv4 Address from ISP]

on the WAN Side…

on the LAN side…

Do you think if I configure the DNS, the configuration will recognize the incoming traffic on 55000 and divert it to ROON which is on 192.168.1.150?

I didn’t see the PPPoE earlier on - that kinda skews my hypothesis. I thought you had 2 separate subnets on the inside.

I don’t think your issue is related to your DNS settings.

You had it set at 192.168.1.25 in the initial post on this thread, not .150 ???

1 Like

one of our dear friends in the thread suggested configuring the Router to a new LAN IP Range which will refresh all the allocated IP’s, and moving the ROON to a new LAN IP. That made sense :slight_smile:

Which is great if you don’t have a need for static/reserved IPs internally. I have reservations setup in my DHCP pool for stuff I don’t want moving to other addresses in the pool and confusing me - Core being one of them, NAS another etc. But we digress.

I’m struggling for more ideas without having the linksys UI in front of me and being able to poke about. I don’t want to start further speculation in case I take you further away and wreck existing connectivity through lack of visibility.

1 Like

Please be generous and keep pouring your ideas & thoughts… I’m sure we will not trigger a nuclear war or meltdown… so we are safe… :slight_smile: :grinning:

Have had to go out for the evening, so not much opportunity now. Hopefully you get some other inputs in the meantime.

1 Like

This is definitely possible but depends on the mode of operation of the ISP provided device. For instance if it is set in bridge/modem mode then you should not need to forward ports on it, only on your internal router.

However if the ISP device is also configured as a router (you in effect, have two routers) then you will need to forward the port(s) on both.

In my case I requested some time ago for the ISP device to be setup as a bridge, because with two routers I had problems with double-NAT and so on, and multiple wifi networks which were unnecessary.

If you contact your ISP they may be able to modify the mode of behaviour of their device. This may help, even as a test, to see if things improve.

1 Like

Thank you for the information, it’s enriching… My ISP is providing a static IP now :slight_smile:. How is this change going to affect the configuration of my internal WIFI Router?

If you have a ISP-provided router AND your own internal wifi router then I dont think the static IP will make any difference. The key thing is that the port either needs to be forwarded on both routers, or the ISP router needs to be put into bridge mode if possible.

The static IP address may help once you have your port forwarding all working but I dont think it will address the issue you currently face.

Incidentally if you are connecting your Roon Core to the ISP router you may well only need the port forwarding rule on that one router. If the Roon Core is connected to the internal WiFi router then you will need two rules, one on each router.

If you do need two rules they might need to be slightly different if the routers have different internal IP ranges. The ISP router may need forward the port to the IP address of the internal router and the internal router may then foward the port to the IP address of the Roon Core.

It is hard to know what is the most correct configuration, but maybe some trial and error will help narrow things down.

1 Like

I have an ISP-provided switch, and my WIFI ROuter is connected to the switch (Port1) via ethernet.

A switch does not provide modem functionality so Im a bit confused by this statement to be honest.

1 Like

I was clarifying that the only router in my landscape is the LAN Linksys Router, and there is no ISP-provided router.

OK then Im sorry I must have misunderstood some of the previous posts. They seemed to suggest multiple routers.

So how is your Linksys router hooked up to your internet connection ? I’d have expected there to be an ADSL or cable modem of some sort if you are not using an ISP supplied router.

1 Like

I have an OFC till the last mile, and the OFC is terminated to a switch (which has 6 Ports, and only the 1st port is active). An ethernet cable connects the Linksys router (AX wifi 6 Velop, the router is configured with PPPoE, which has a username/password) to the 1st port of the switch.

OK so your router is effectively also the modem, that makes sense. But also suggests that your port forwarding rule should work as is.

Have you disabled UPnP now that the manual rule is in place?

EDIT: Also is there anything configured on the router’s firewall which might cause an issue?

1 Like

Yes, the ISP modem.

Tried that too on the ISP modem (Router is a Ubiquity) - no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

ANOTHER EDIT: I wonder how many Subscribers will go through this to get ARC working? Yes, a rhetorical question. As much as I love the idea of ARC, this implementation isn’t going to make new “friends”. There will be a lot of unhappy Subscribers that will have never (and will never) login to their router and enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) much less a Port Forwarding rule (and then you throw in DHCP…).

YET ANOTHER EDIT: I support ~17 people that I’ve helped with a NUC, RPi or other configuration. I =must= approach all Roon configurations instructions as if I’m one of these people. This is why I haven’t gone to a fixed IP, nor a lot of modem configuration changes. I need to “get in the same trouble” they do in order to solve their issues. These are Roon’s “meat 'n potatoes” customers, the people that just want the music to keep streaming. Thanks for the help - I’ll try anything at this point.

1 Like

Not sure if this is unwarranted sarcasm or not. Many ISPs supply a single box that serves both purposes and a user supplied router is unnecessary. That is essentially the point I was highlighting.

Some people go further. I have a second router inside and a separate stateful Nokia firewall too, so my config was much more complex.

Your point on simplicity as a base for the non-technical users was on-the-money, but whenever one needs to allow a service or device to call home, then such complexity is an unfortunate but necessary embuggerance. The ingress/egress can’t just be a revolving door for security reasons. Eventually an abstracted management tool for consumers will be developed that simplifies the configuration process. This will be a simplified kind of Software Defined Network.

Had to google that one, nice onomatopoeic word!

.sjb

1 Like

@ElTel … what? Sarcasm? No, I have never posted sarcasm in the Roon Community. I have spent hours and hours trying to get this to work. You guys work this out; my best to all. I’ll move on.

No stress. Hard to infer the intentions sometimes. No harm done.

In some jurisdictions, and with some ISPs, they either require or allow the user to supply the DSL port themselves, negating the need for the ISP to do anything other than provide the service to the wall socket. There’s no one-size-fits-all so it isn’t always easy to work out what is happening in a given situation.

1 Like