ARC remote connect to Core failure

Roon Core Machine

Dedicated NUC running headless. Intel Celeron N5105, 2 ghz, 16 GB RAM. Windows 11.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nokia BGW320-505, AT&T broadband, NUC directly connected to this modem/ router via hard cable. No VPN. ASUS AX6600 mesh network supporting all wireless functions in the house. No other switches in the network.

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node, various Sonos speakers, Chromecast device, all connected wirelessly.

Number of Tracks in Library

No library currently. Streaming content from Tidal.

Description of Issue

Roon functions in house with local devices with no issue.
Attempting to connect Arc application to Roon Core. No joy. Configured Nokia for NUC connecting on port 55000 per online resources and instructions for port forwarding. See copied failure report below from Core.

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“99.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Hey @Jack_Nevins,

Thanks for including the error code in your OP! Welcome to the community as well, we’re excited to have you here.

Based on the error code you shared, the protocols that configure port forwarding automatically are either not available or have failed. UPnP and NATPMP are not functioning in your router as Roon expects.

There are a few things you can try for next steps:

• Turn on UPnP on your router and try to run Roon’s port forwarding test again.

• Try to set up manual port forwarding in your router.

• Make sure the IP/Port matches in any port forwarding rule you create.
  • Double-check to make sure you don’t have any VPNs, Firewalls, or other network filtering software blocking Roon.

• Check if your modem is in Bridge mode.

• Restart your network hardware and update firmware.

Let me know if you continue to run into this issue after the above. :+1:

Hi, Benjamin. Thanks for your response. I’ll dig further on a few of your points, but wanted to respond on a few others.

Did you note I am directly connecting the NUC Core to the modem device and not through the Asus wireless routers? Given that, I’m unclear about a couple of your suggestions. Namely running the modem in bridge mode. I understand this configuration in the event i was connecting the NUC Core to the Asus wireless APs, but not as I am currently, but I will look further into this.

The Nokia modem model, I don’t believe, supports UPnP. I have been unable to locate that feature in the device configuration. I also went through port forwarding configuration steps on the modem. The only place firewalls are in place are in the NUC, which i did shut off and test during configuration to no positive affect.

I have run other services requiring port forwarding on this modem in the past, with no issues. Is there an issue with the Roon Core machine running in this connection configuration?

Thanks and look forward two your response.

Hey @Jack_Nevins,

Thanks for letting me know. I did some research on the specific model modem you have, and it sounds like setting up port forwarding is troublesome for many people. Per this thread I’ve found here, it seems you may need to adjust a few settings on the device.

Have you disabled IPv6 on the device?

Hey, Ben. Thanks again for your input and suggestions. I will look into all of this, but am now considering moving the Core machine to the Asus layer, simply due to security concerns. I will post back once I have some resolution or workaround.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.