ARC With Starlink: IPv6 WAN IP Issue with RoonServer [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini M1
Ventura 13.4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Starlink - Router Bypass Mode
Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine

Description of Issue

Have spent a fair bit of time reviewing ARC, Starlink, UDM topics without advancing the situation.

I’m unable to get ARC working. I have verified I have a Starlink IPV6 address here : http://test-ipv6.com/

I have manually set up port forwarding on the UDM for the roon core ip to port 55000 which is set as the listening port.

The Roon Core Information shows a Hostname, MAC Address, IPV6 Address and a Local network address (same as roon core ip)

When I run the test I get this response. Shows a valid IPV6 address but otherwise full of errors. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve: at least to get to the next step?

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“145.ddd.eee.fff”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a0d:ggg:hhh:iii:ppp:bbb:qqq:rrr”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Kinda hoping someone will chime in here. Any Roon bods make sense of the error message I’m seeing and able to point me in the right direction?

I’ll try one more time to get some support on this issue. Did I make a mistake in the way I posted it? Does Roon not care that a subscriber cannot access a core feature? Is it posted in the wrong place? Is there another way to get support?

Hey @Ian_Robson2,

Ben with the support team here - sorry for the delay in getting to your thread! Digging right in, it looks like the error code generated by Roon indicates UPnP is available on the router but is failing for reasons not reported by the router or identified by Roon. In most cases, this means a firewall, VPN, or security software is interfering with UPnP.

Next steps for you to try:

1. Restart your network hardware and update router firmware.

2. Try to set up manual port forwarding in your router.

• Make sure the IP/Port matches in any port forwarding rule you create.
  1. Toggle UPnP on/off in your router settings before attempting to autoconfigure again in Settings → Roon ARC.
  2. Double-check to make sure you don’t have any VPNs, Firewalls, or other network filtering software blocking Roon.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi Ben, thanks for getting back to me. I worked through all of that (port fprwarding was already manually configured). This is the updated error message.

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“145.kkk.lll.mmm”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a0d:ddd:eee:fff:kkk:sss:ttt:uuu”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_natpmp”:true},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}

Hi @Ian_Robson2,

You’re receiving an external IPv6 address from Starlink’s DHCPv6. With the Starlink gateway bypassed, your UDM is now functioning as the server for your network behind this address. For IPv6 to work properly, you need to make sure the UDM can either 1) allow Starlink’s DHCPv6 to reach your Core directly or 2) make sure your UDM is using IPv6 or proper prefix delegation to allow this network to communicate with Starlink.

If you have an external IPv6 address from Starlink and an IPv6 format local address on your Core, then you won’t need to rely on port forwarding or UPnP at all - those mechanisms are only for IPv4.

Does the UDM web administration page have any settings related to static or native IPv6? I’d delete the port forwarding rule you’ve set and make sure the device is prioritizing IPv6. Also, try enabling prefix delegation, with the /64 option (if these settings are available, you should see this or similar).

Feel free to share any screenshots with the IP obscured or clouded out in a photo editor. We appreciate your patience and we’ll help from there!

1 Like

Thanks Connor, attached what I believe to be the relevant screenshots.

I have deleted the port forwarding rule and re-run the Arc test. Latest error as follows:

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“145.ggg.kkk.lll”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a0d:ddd:eee:fff:bbb:sss:ttt:uuu”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_natpmp”:true},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}

and the Roon Core Info

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 08.44.43

Hi folks, any update on this from your side?

Hi @Ian_Robson2,

I also have Starlink IPv6 and although I’m not familiar with your router, it looks like you may have the IPv6 firewall enabled without adding the hole for your Roon Core. Click the copy link next to the IPv6 address for your Roon Core in the Roon ARC test then create an inboard firewall rule for IPv6 in your router settings and paste it there along with the Port number from the Roon ARC test page (for TCP only). See if that stops the timeouts.

If this doesn’t work, check your primary IPv6 address and see if any of your segments contain 3 digits instead of 4. This means that segment has a leading zero. Lmk how it goes.

Hi, thanks for chipping in - I think I’ve done what you suggested but to no avail.

Latest error message.

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“145.kkk.rrr.vvv”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a0d:aaa:bbb:ccc:www:xxx:yyy:zzz”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
}

Hi Ian,

I closed the IPv6 firewall pinhole for my ROCK and here is what I get:

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“98.hhh.kkk.lll”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2605:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:eee:fff:ggg”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

I would suggest turning off upnp and removing all IPv4 port forwarding you may have from previous attempts to make Roon work and only leave the IPv6 firewall pinhole for your Roon server based on the IPv6 address and port number displayed in the Roon ARC test page. One other thing I noticed in your router configuration is that you have IPv6 prefix set for 64 and unless you have a business account, Starlink prefix size is 56 using DHCP-PD. Were those start and stop values automatically generated? You should also have something in your settings regarding LAN IPv6 Prefix & Address…

Was there anything discovered on his issue?

If so Ian could you please post some tips.

I have similar Unifi hardware, Starlink network gear and ARC does not connect.

IPV6 address is valid on test-ipv6.com.
Starlink in Bridge mode.
uPNP is off.
My IPV6 is set to prefix delegation but has a start stop range of ::2 -::7d1 not an index number( I assume this determined by router or SL)

I do have a firewall rule for port 55002(same as I defined in Roon) inbound on IPV6 to my Roon Core (Firewall is OFF on my Roon core)

My IPV6 address DOES have a segment with a leading 0 or just 3 digits.

If you don’t get any errors in the Roon ARC test but it refuses to connect then your problem is being caused by an issue between Roon’s IPv6 code and Starlink’s IPv6 addresses. Their servers are logging a hex digit violation in the 10th character position for Starlink IPv6 addresses. They had some ideas for what the issue might be but no solution. However, I was told they are working on it and had increased the priority. It would be great if Roon could give us an update on this.

Afaik, no Starlink customers have managed to get IPv6 to work on Roon ARC yet. If anyone has managed to get IPv6 to work with Roon ARC without using additional external technology it would be great to hear about it.

I’ve paused my efforts. Support from Roon was half-hearted at best sadly.

Hi @Ian_Robson2,

We haven’t forgotten you, although I do sincerely apologize for the lack of an update here.

@Dean_Kimball is correct - there’s a nomenclature disagreement between Starlink and ARC causing a hex-digit violation. Properly prefixed IPv6 address are rejected. This is a core feature blockage for Starlink users and remains a high priority - however, it requires both Roon and ARC development attention to complete and we can only control our nomenclature/formatting, not Starlink’s.

We recently overhauled connectivity in ARC as part of a large suite of performance improvements: Roon 2.0.20 and ARC 1.0.41 are live!. We now have the team bandwidth and a clean sandbox to investigate and resolve IPv6 issues with Starlink.

Allow me to sync internally today with development and I’ll provide as precise an update as possible. We understand this is a core feature blockage and requires Starlink users to pursue workarounds (at best). Thank you for your patience and we’ll communicate with you as this ticket progresses through the pipeline.

1 Like

Thanks @connor I’ll wait to hear back.

1 Like

Hi Connor,

Any progress by the development team on this issue? I have switched all my devices back to early access but it would be nice to know if the dev team will be looking at this soon.

Thanks,

Dean

Would be good to hear something @connor

Hey Connor, any update on this?

1 Like

Come on you guys, please provide us with some type of status update regarding the IPv6 issues that are preventing a lot of your users from being able to get remote access to Roon using Roon ARC.

I’m assuming the failed build# 1324 rollout that was intended to allow updates to apply only to certain users is needed to test things as fundamental as IPv6 addressing changes so it would be nice if you can just say something like “we need to fix build 1324 so we can start rolling out IPv6 update tests” or whatever is causing these delays. We all support Roon and have been patiently waiting for this solution to the IPv6 problems but we deserve to hear from you.

1 Like