Arcam SA30 integrated Amp - How good is it?

I am thinking of trying the Arcam SA30 but a search online has got me scared…
@Michael_Harris how are you finding it so far?

I keep reading about a lip sync issue via the HDMI as well as a 150ms delay / latency in all digital inputs (unofficial Arcam discourse group)…

Hi Yiannis I am happy to report complete happiness with my SA30. Having read some worrying information online I was not happy with what I read, but I joined the Arcam Discource Group and got some good feedback and ideas from there and decided to go ahead with the purchase.

It looked like most of the issues were fixed sometime ago and the latest firmware release has been no issues for me at all. It came almost up to date and I had it installed and up to date in 15 minutes.

For me it has everything I possibly need, Roon Ready, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Apple Airplay and Chromecast (though no use for Bluetooth)
Everyone in my family is able to use it and love the sound.

I don’t use HDMI, its purely a 2.1 channel setup for me.
I have a separate 5.2.1 system to cover the AV requirements.

Anything else you need to know feel free to ask.

(Next up is possibly a CDS50 to be perfectly matched with the SA30)

2 Likes

If you are looking for a good CD player and don’t need SACD, then go with a Panasonic UB9000 instead. Yes, the ARCAM CDS50 is the best mach aesthetically but in terms of SQ, the Panasonic UB9000 is miles ahead of the CDS50. I had both, and found the UB9000 much better in terms of sound. BTW, both have the same ESS 9038 DAC. Not to mention that the UB9000 is cheaper and plays 4K UHD Blue Rays :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Enrico that does makes me think.
I was looking for SACD … Not that I currently own any but was starting to think about building a small collection :wink:

So can the Panasonic UB9000 send to two outputs (using remote or button to change), so I can use Optical to feed my HT Amp and use SPDIF or RCA to feed the Arcam.
If so that might make it a more compelling choice, though in the UK it is between £250 and £350 more expensive than the Arcam CDS50

Still all good a few months later with the SA30?

Yes I still absolutely love it, and had no issues at all.
Bought the Arcam SACD Player as well and they make a lovely stack (been building up a small collection of SACDs)

It sounds wonderful, Roon Ready has worked perfectly and the wife also uses it with Tidal Connect for the small amount of music that she plays.
Don’t have anything negative to offer at all.

I had a nightmare getting that CD player updated to the latest firmware as it was still on the original factory firmware. Arcam support came through for me though and helped me fix it.

1 Like