Are PMs Actually Private?

Yes, that sounds like it. So no, I’m not going crazy and mis-remembering. Is there anywhere I can see my posts or PMs that were deleted? I don’t find those anywhere.

Yep that’s the PM. And I do see it now, so I guess this PM was not deleted. I found it in Profile - Messages - Sent, not Profile - Summary.

1 Like

I was going to close this out and change the title to match the original post’s commentary, but now I’m thinking unlisting this thread is more appropriate.

Now that you’ve found your message, the whole thing seems like a huge waste of time and has a vibe of “man yells at clouds.” I don’t think anyone benefits from that, so I will unlist this thread.

To answer the question in your title, nothing can be guaranteed private on any communication software unless everything is open-sourced and you can check that data Is end-to-end encrypted in the code and can verify the code being run is the code you are reading. Otherwise, you must assume it is not private. And even if you were able to verify all that, there is the famous Refelctions on Trusting Trust paper to consider.

I can assure you that Discourse prevents moderators and normal users from reading your PMs and that we have not modified the code to change that. But you have to take my word on that.

2 Likes