Are PMs Actually Private?

Even one of my PM’s (private message to another member talking about MQA was censored and deleted). That just seems so wrong!..

That indeed seems wrong to me. What’s more, this seems to imply that our private messages on this forum, in some way or other, are being monitored.

I would like to see a clear statement from Roon about this topic.

Are private messages from one member of this forum to another member monitored or read or known by Roon staff or forum moderators?

Are private messages indeed private, or are they just ‘personal’ insofar as they are not publicly displayed?

1 Like

I’ve always assumed it was this way.

This is not something a forum member should have to assume in one way or other. It should be made totally transparent as part of the forum’s policies. If we talk about ‘private’ messages which indeed are not private, then we have a right to know by whom and in which circumstances our messages are being read.

2 Likes

I agree, it should be clearly spelled out.

That said, I always assume nothing posted online is totally private. At a minimum, I expect the owners of a forum (and their staff/mods) would have access to anything posted using their forum.

I don’t know, but I assume the owner of each and every forum or web site must monitor all correspondence for their own protection.

Roon may have a legal responsibility to protect forum users from harassment by other users, whether in public or via PM. So monitoring would be a requirement for all messages.

I don’t care if they monitor PM’s or whatever, although I don’t like it. But actually going in and deleting them is really beyond the pale. And then to post that they are ‘just onlookers’ and that actually they don’t really have a stance, after having already gone so far as to censor posts either by locking them away or outright deleting them, seems unfathomable…

1 Like

Roon may also have a legal responsibility to disclose if and how and for what reasons ‘private’ messages are being monitored.

But my point is that users shouldn’t have to second-guess such forum policies. It should be clearly stated if and how private messages by users are monitored and read. One thing is to have the technical ability to access and read such messages, whenever such access is necessary, for clearly stated reasons. Another thing is if private messages are routinely monitored and read by Roon staff and/or forum moderators. It should be clear for every user under which circumstances private messages are read by forum admins/mods.

3 Likes

Just a fellow Roon user here.

Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral . At common law, libel and slander were analyzed under different sets of standards, with libel recognized as the more serious wrong.

Roon are protecting themselves from libel and in fairness any defamatory statements that could harm their business.

This forum is part of their product.

This forum isn’t our soapbox.

Let’s listen to music :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Mediahound - I’ve moved your post and the subsequent discussion out of the MQA topic thread and into a thread of its own because it’s clearly off-topic.

FWIW, us mods do not have the ability to read any PMs other than those addressed to / created by us, or a message that has been flagged for moderator attention by a participant.

I don’t know what the situation is for a Discourse Administrator though, I’ll leave that for Roon Labs to answer for themselves if they wish to.

5 Likes

Is it possible that any of the moderation was automated? There’s at least auto-modding of any post that mentions the surname of a particular ex POTUS. Even if the reference is inadvertent.

Yes, I recall a Roon post about automated monitoring a while back. I think that some users had inadvertently used certain innocent trigger words that had caught the attention of the software.

I appreciate your comments Geoff and thank you for taking the time to respond. My view would be that nothing is private that uses the inter web as a conduit, without wishing to sound like a conspiracy fan ( which I’m definitely not) I think that we all need to re-calibrate what is meant by private/PM when we are using every form of modern communications.

1 Like

As someone with minimal moderation responsibilities elsewhere, there are too many PM’s flying around for them to be looked at even if we could. If your PM’s have been moderated it may be because a recipient has reported you or you have been flagged as someone who requires supervision. If you want privacy, exchange email addresses. If you use a site owned by a commercial entity they have a responsibility to protect themselves, their platform and their users.

1 Like

As politely as possible, I am telling you that you are mistaken and that no person censored or deleted your private messages.

Tell me the title of your PM and I’ll check the database and tell you what actually happened. Nothing is ever deleted on this system, it just gets hidden. For example, I can see that 30 of your posts were deleted. The latest was yesterday, and the oldest was on Sept 18th, 2018 (about Roon + Qobuz).

1 Like

30 posts deleted seems like a lot given that I don’t even post here that much. Can I see what was deleted and why?

Hey @Mediahound,

Unless something has changed recently in Discourse, you can see your deleted posts on your profile summary page.

1 Like

That is nowhere to be found under Summary that I can see.