Are software updates slowing down?

He means the Octive. New PSA music server.

Got it. Interesting.

It’s not out yet and given their software/hardware development cycles I doubt we see it before 2019.

Yeah. I admire their stuff even though it is almost all well out of my reach right now. Well except the Sprout which is now in a box in my trunk. I’m looking forward to playing with it.

1 Like

There’s no doubt they happened but personally of the 4 listed there:
1 is worse
2 was functional
3 am indifferent (it updates slowly)
4 am indifferent now (wasn’t a fan at launch)

There’s a whole host of inconsistencies, errors, and design that could be improved upon massively.

Would be great to see some updates towards this.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if users here buy Roon because they are addicted to new technical fixes every day, updates, MQA etc…or if they just use the Roon software to enjoy the music like me!

Are we a minor group here?

Ps: I am also cured from addiction to new hifi equipment every time I get my monthly salary😉

7 Likes

I like the updates. The product just keeps getting better and better.
My only real wish is that they could find a way to integrate another streaming service just in case Tidal doesn’t make it.

This is mostly due to the streaming services reluctance…not Roon’s I think.

If the software doesnt meet you ideals move on or go develop your own…see how you fair in the department.

Bit harsh?

1 Like

More than a bit and most unlike the wizard.

Apologies. Yes a bit harsh perhaps. Sorry but they are your best options. Granted developing your own is not a likelihood option but I was implying it’s not an easy thing to please everyone.

Next best is I guess get to the feature request area and put together a comprehensive design scope that you think would meet your needs so development teams can discuss and others can put points forward. That will will get you more traction than just saying you don’t think it’s good enough now.

1 Like

Wow. I suggest you stop and take a deep breath before you react to posts.

I said I like the software and it keeps getting better and better.
Then said, I wish they “could find a way to integrate another streaming service”. Who knows if Tidal will stay in business? Didn’t blame or criticize Roon; I know all about the reasons.

What’s with your dismissive reply?

1 Like

That wasn’t directed at you @danny2 …well not the developer your own bit anyway…sorry if it was taken that way…the quite on meant to reference the other streaming sources.

The actual product issue was directed at @hifi_swlon and I apologized for that.

Just because Roon wants to engage other streaming doesn’t mean it’s a win win…sadly Roon can’t add more service providers unless they want to to be or are even geared up be able integrate in one way or another with Roon. Lucky for many of us tidal was a player that came on board, but it wasn’t why I bought Roon lifetime soon as I signed up.

I’m a fan of Roon, have no issues with releases or features and bought into all of this well before tidal was part of the capability.

Huh, I actually thought it was aimed at @danny2, so now I’m completely offended!! (not really) :smile::grin::innocent:

I think most UI items (and other Roon features which fall a bit short) are more than covered already in feature requests, and more generally on this forum…

For some reason the UI ones just don’t seem to get such high priority, and I think that’s a shame because in all honestly Roon’s standards seem lower here than in other areas, and probably lower than when they started out. That’s not to say its bad - far from it its the best UI I’ve used - so it has to be taken on context. I’d just hoped it would continually get better, and that side hasn’t met my (admittedly high) expectations. That is of course just my personal opinion.

I could of course develop my own, and am quite into the idea of doing some more ‘client facing’ software one day - but in terms of a music player, but why would I? I love Roon in general - and it serves my needs better than anything that came before it - but at the same time I think it has a lot of room for improvement. Would love to see software updates focussed more on UI in the future, as for to me that aspect has become more inconsistent and less polished over time. It’s great to see all the features that have been added, but just needs tidying up.

Think it’s fair to voice that - which I do try and do constructively and politely in general - although admittedly it may not always come across.

As long as we all try to be constructive regardless of it being criticism or suggestions I guess its all good. Didn’t mean to offend anyone if I did. :blush:

Well, we know a major shakeup of the UI is in the works - and because it is major, it will presumably be a while before it sees the light of day. One possibility for the lack of fixing up the current UI is because, other than bug fixing, development resources are being focused on the new UI?

1 Like

That’s what I’m hoping, and I trust your instinct on that Geoff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today’s Chromcast addition shows that updates are coming along nicely. They may not be in the order one wishes, but come they do…

1 Like

The updates might be further apart but they seem to be bigger ticket items. MQA and Chromecast being the last two. The former I’m not too fussed by, the latter I was - and they have done it spectacularly.

The updates do seem to be less UX focussed - maybe because there is a big redesign in the works. That said the Roon folks who are on here regularly and engage with customers aren’t the UX folks.

I also had the impression that things are slowing down; but I’m looking forward to the “UI overhaul” that has been mentioned and am hoping for some of the feature requests to be incorporated!

1 Like