Are you willing to pay for full MQA decoding in Roon?

Definitly (a), I have no interest in that Roon supports MQA.

Also I don’t expect Roon to include anything that has a significant licensing fee apart from what was from the start for basic functionality, like data for albums etc etc. If Spotify or Highresaudio streaming was implemented no one would expect that to be free?

1 Like

c. I’d be willing to pay up to $100 to enable MQA functionality, either first or full, as a one-time fee

b.

One part of the concept of Roon’s (high) membership fees was that it was an all-you-can-eat model. If there are going to be surcharges for things like MQA then why not break out some other things that I don’t want to pay for - let people pick and choose which metadata vendors they need/want as apparently they eat up a large part of the fees. From a pricing perspective, how is MQA any different from the other royalty/fee based services included in the Roon ecosystem?

4 Likes

a. Nothing, i don’t care

Option B as well as Option D

I concur with above.

4 Likes

b)

Because that’s one of the premises I bought Roon on, and I already have MQA decoding with a Meridian Explorer2 and a Meridian 218.

However, for convenience, and if really pushed, perhaps d).

b
or maybe d if I can run the output through DSP.

Absolutely OT : I’d rather pay $100 to Roon for a lossless ‘input’ where I can stream my vinyl converted to digital…

1 Like

I also concur. I bet Bob’s (MQA) favorite saying is “A fool is born every minute.”

1 Like

B - I expect my lifetime subscription as described when I spent my money to cover all new upgrades.

If you want an up charge to cover MQA then why not DSP and the added new Audeze filters? Why not up charge those too? I’d bet far more Roon development effort went into DSP than has been spent on MQA. Roon did a bang up job with DSP because they didn’t have the MQA red tape. Roon is slow only because of the politics of MQA. More money ain’t the fix, unless of course you’re looking to send the additional payment directly to Bob Stuart to cut the red tape.

B period.

No. MQA is a gimmick. Yes I purchased a Meridian DAC, tried Tidal for 29 days and canceled Tidal and sent back the DAC.

MQA is a money scheme, not an audio scheme. ROON will have no choice but to pass on the added costs, they surely aren’t going to eat it from their profit margin.

I’ll take more of what the BBC is doing: 24/96 FLAC streams.

2 Likes

Initially I was quite interested, excited even, to hear the “first unfold”—as a dedicated Linux user there’s currently no way to do so. Now though, I think whatever meagre upgrade funds I have will instead be earmarked for a bargain on a used non-MQA DAC. I believe iFi’s Nano Black Label is officially a thing as of today.

I paid my lifetime subscription to Roon and I pay Tidal each month, also, so that would be a huge NO from me.

Same for me here, not willing to pay twice for first unfold.

a) No thanks

a. Not interested.

(a) No from me too. I think there are a lot more important things for the Roon guys to spend their time and money on.

2 Likes

A for me. DSP, convolution with HAF x-talk reduction gives me much more satisfaction than MQA.

As do I. Minimal to no interest in MQA

(b). Since it’s been promised and nobody’s said anything about being charged for it, I’m not sure why it’s even up for discussion. Has this even been suggested by Roon? I will say that the longer it takes Roon to roll this out the less I’m interested in MQA. Frankly, and not related to this issue, I’m MUCH more interested in Tidal getting their act together, and having a broader effort to shame them on the LONG overdue issue of the HUNDREDS of Universal catalog titles (DG, Philips, London, but some of the Jazz labels under their umbrella also) having ruinous flutter from some misguided attempt at digitally watermarking these files. I once got a reply on this forum from someone at Tidal who stated they were expecting “redilivery” of much of the Universal catalog, but that has been well over a year now. I paid for Roon and continue to subscribe to Tidal in good faith of SOMEONE being alive there and doing something about this! The fact that I’m starting to feel rather the same in some respects about Roon’s promise to give us MQA capability has me wondering if I’ve backed the wrong horses in this race.

I know Roon is working hard at it, but what is Tidal’s excuse and why is everyone so tonedeaf as to not hear this problem? Flac quality? That’s BS, when the same titles do NOT have this problem in lowly Apple Music and Spotify quality.