Are you willing to pay for full MQA decoding in Roon?

Like most users,I dabbled with comparisons of properly unfolded Mqa vs red book local and or streaming files and overall I wasn’t that impressed with Mqa.

My choice would be “A” without question.

I strongly believe the talented roon folks have better things to devote their time too,as previously mentioned from other experienced users.

1 Like

a. No interest in MQA whatsoever.

You are saying the problem isn’t there with the highest tier of Spotify? It was when I was a customer! In fact I have minidisk recordings of affected tracks so I may just compare them to tracks on Tidal.

a)
No interest in MQA, despite the fact, that my Auralic Altair decodes MQA in its own way (there are some discussions around the net about Auralics approach)

No, it has not been explicitly suggested by Roon team. I think the question was hatched after @danny elaborated that there are no technical obstacles but rather licencing agreements, in delivering unfolded MQA content via Roon:

I’ve never been able to work out why the first unfold isn’t already there using Tidal via Roon, given that Tidal do it anyway, ie why isn’t Roon delivering an untouched already Tidal-unfolded version? Unless it’s just that MQA want licensing for it, which would seem naughty if we are already paying for the first unfold through a Tidal subscription anyway.

Tidal delivers files via the Internet. What is done at your end is down to your software. Tidal have had their discussion with MQA with regards to their app. Roon are still having that discussion.

Hmmm some double dipping

1 Like

Not from their perspective, it seems obvious, to me at least, that MQA wants every step, source, playback and endpoint to be licensed. Kind of like the audio version of HDCP.

2 Likes

I am very interested in MQA. I would be willing to pay an annual fee to have ROON fully decode MQA.

I see. I can’t claim to have compared to Spotify as much, but I had the Apple Music 3 month trial and at THAT time compared a number of affected tracks (easiest to spot with piano recordings, but after you hear the problem it’s easy enough to spot), and the Apple Music versions did NOT seem to have the same effect. I tried a handful in the free version of Spotify and thought I did not hear the problem, but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s not there. I suspect there are different degrees and perhaps different rates of oscillation between tracks given to different services, in order to track where they came from perhaps? Sorry, didn’t mean to derail this topic in any way, but I thought there was some relevance on the subject of Tidal/Roon synergy. It’s also perhaps telling that Universal, as of now, hasn’t provided any MQA material to Tidal. The spectre of them actually doing some kind of hi-Rez version of these defective tracks would send me off the deep end, I’m afraid!

a) for me.

very mild interest at best :slight_smile:

It all sounds lovely anyway.

Im not sq obsessed, music obsessed definitely!

1 Like

a. Not interested.

b) not really interested but curious :slight_smile:

Interesting results, but the option to charge for it as an add-on is not on the table anymore… I’m going to close this out.