Artist page: main, with... and appereance albums: how does it really work?

It’s an old post, but that’s the only one i’ve found on the topic.
@mike, i disagree with your explanation.
Here’s my example:

the three main albums have Giovanni Succi as ALBUMARTIST (in file tags).
G. S. is a member of 2 groups: “Bachi da pietra” and “Madrigali Magri”. For their albums, G.S. is credited as primary artist at album level, for example

what an album need to be a main album is a “primary artist link” (as you noted).
in any case, in all these albums G.S. is credited (via my file tags) both as primary artist and performer (no screenshots here, believe me).
But as you can see, the appearences with “bachi da pietra” have been split out, while the the appearences with “madrigali magri” have remained generic.

from this a deduce that, when you say “if they a certain number of those albums all have the same Primary Artist”, that “certain” is more than 3.
in my opinion, this is not sufficient. i mean, it’s ok in your miles davis example. here, it’s roon that tries to order the albums according to the “Album Artist”.
But …even 1 album, if associated to a recognized band/group, should be split out. this could happen, for example, when an artist is a member of a group/band. i mean, roon MUST know that R.Palmer is a member of Led Zeppelin, and split out the albums correspondingly.
that’s what I would expect.

accidentally, in my example Roon does not know that G.S. is a member of Bachi and Madrigali:

in this case, it would be MORE then logical that we users could edit the group/band artist page.
see this:

let me add a remark:
to me, it’s becoming more and more evident that roon is not going to correct its metadata. and everybody agree in saying that allmusic metadata are very bad.
and that’s something i think i can accept.
but… it’s then necessary that roon software allows the user to edit them. hopefully, in an easy way (via file tags). but also in the roon UI would be ok.

1 Like