Artists and albums acting up

Thanks for the info. So the three dots next to the heart button is focus? All of the drop down items from those three dots are focus related? Ive been using roon for 3 years and never noticed that. At the very least it hasnt acted this way. Ive always used view albums on my library for an artist. I guess Ill have to use filter instead. It will be hard to get used to.

Hey Daniel, thatā€™s a wise move, for compatibility reasons.

Just another thought regarding Album Artist;
Album Artist is for sorting, and setting the main artist on an album. This allowing for individual tracks being ā€œNorah Jonesā€ & ā€œWilcoā€ as an example, but the album still being credited to the Album Artist.
Or the classical example, Bachā€™s Cantatas No 12 should not be credited to the composer, but rather the main solist or the arranger/conductor.

Still, what iā€™m getting at is that with Roon you are better off leaving metadata handling to Roon. Your job is simply to provide enough and correct metadata so the album can be automatically identified by Roon.
There are occasionally people on the forum, frustrated because their view of how metadata should be applied, and displayed differs from Roon/TiVo/Tidal/Qobuz. That fight is a Don Quixote missionā€¦

Iā€™d change my import setting to "Prefer Roon"all over and then sit back and let Roon do itā€™s magic. Then after itā€™s done, iā€™d go in and use Focus to visualize which albums are NOT identified correctly and work my magic on those. (With the purpose of getting Roon to identify them automatically.)

Then youā€™ll have all of your Norah Jonesā€™s in a row, so to speak! :slight_smile:

I treat the magic of Roon as NOT having to groom metadata, think of all that time spent grooming that could be spent listening.

I have a serious neck problem caused, according to my neurosurgeon, by too much screen time so I try desperately (and often fail) to minimise screen time

The good news from this thread is I found Norah Jones Xmas album :joy:

1 Like

Michael

Thanks for the advice and explanation. Over 50% of my library are live shows. Dylan, Dead, White Stripes etc. As you saw even Norah Jones. I try to collect good live recordings. With this in mind would you still recommend using prefer room when I import my library.
(I suppose I could give each a try and see. Itā€™s over 3100 albums).
Thanks again for your information
Dan

If your Live albums are actually recognizable albums, yes! If they are custom recordings and obscure bootlegs, iā€™d be hesitant.
You could, make a backup of your database to a secure location, then give it a shot? If it turns out badly, just restore yourDB?

Thanks. Very logical suggestion. Quick question you may help with then. I do back up my data base (I forget my setting at least once a week) but if I switch import settings and donā€™t like the results couldnā€™t I switch them back and just re scan my library? Seems it would be the same result as your suggestion. Maybe not. I just donā€™t want to make things worse. Thanks again for all your input.

I think so, but the backup part was a safety precaution, in case your edits should vanish!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.