Artwork does not update

Hi @spockfish sorry this betas not fixed the artwork. Got stuck again just now when it switched albums from the queue.

And it picks up again with another album?

Anyway, can you send me feedback when it happens again? This version has more logging.
Furthermore, can you detect a pattern? Is this for example happening when playing content from Tidal?

Thanks

Mostly when using Radio with Qobuz but was same when I had both Qobuz and Tidal. I’ll send feedback next time.

Ok. But what about local content?

I’ve seen it a few times during testing this weekend, and I’ve noticed that it happened with me only when playing stuff from Tidal.

So here’s the thing: if you play content from your local library it’s Roon server that has the cover art available. However, if you play via Tidal it needs to fetch stuff from Tidal first. I’m suspecting what happens is that this times out with a result of no coverart (or the previous one).

I only play full albums with local music, but not noticed it do the same but it might have, I use Qobuz a lot more than local stuff.

So this is likely Roons crappy CDN then, not getting the data quickly enough from their streaming partners?

Could be, but on the other hand RoPieee might be too strict wrt time-outs.

How is your internet connection? I’ve got a good one and I need to really stress it (do a lot of ‘next tracks’ to trigger it in the end).

Internet’s fine steady 350mb/s, but reading the web my ISP has had some routing issues with Cloudflare hosted services.

Ok. Would be great if you can test it a bit with ‘real local’ content to see if my hunch makes any sense.

I must say that I haven’t associated the slow image or no image to roon showing it, verses it being pulled from tidal.

Harry are you saying ropieee pulls the image from tidal rather than getting it from the roon server?

No it pulls it from Roon, local music is from your core.

Exactly so I’m not sure why Harry might think it’s different for local music images vrs tidal ones if roon is pushing to ropieee

Well,

Roon does not push to RoPieee, RoPieee fetches from Roon.
But besides that, I’m not sure if the path is the same for local content and remote content (Tidal) wrt caching.

The only scenario where I was able to reproduce the issue is by switching to Roon Radio and when it’s playing a selection from Tidal. In that case, after a long period of ‘next-ing’ I was able to reproduce it.

So that’s the reason why I suspect something like that is going on. Anyways, I’ve extended the logging so maybe we get a better picture of what’s going on.

Guys,

An update on this. I had this issue this weekend as well (now it’s gone again). What I’ve noticed that:

a) this is Roon server issue as in my case it simply failed because of “an internal server error occured”.
b) the fetching of images on my side is not very efficient: each image is fetched twice: for the coverart and the background. And on top of that: the error handling when things go wrong is pretty bad.

I’m now running over here a version where both the error handling is improved (including a retry when it fails) and if it fails it replaces the coverart image with the RoPieee logo.

So far this runs rather smoothly. If I do not run into any (more) issues I’ll push this version to the beta channel later this week.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the update Harry. I wonder if this is related to other issues I get with Roon. At times when browsing it takes ages to pull the data when clicking on an album, then it’s back to normal again. Another user was having same issues with it slowing down to. If it’s a server side thing it might all tie together.

A switch to turn off the background image would be much appreciated, I don’t like the blurry magnified cover art as a background, but I do like the volume slider. So I use the first of the two screens.

Sheldon

That screen is gone in the next release, but I’ll make the blurry background configurable.

Thank you! It just keeps getting better.

Sheldon

You mean no more volume indication or slider? I liked the fact one could change volume easily without fumbling for the app. Just wish it was displayed a bit brighter

I think you are confusing the 2 screens. The screen with the volume control and blurred background stays.

1 Like

@spockfish Harry sent you some feedback as artwork did not update again during radio playback 1b3557069c09ebab