Assistance with Equalization

I am very happily using Roon for audio playback. I am searching for a kind soul that can assist with Roon’s various DSP’s. I am exploring equalization. Parametric, Graphic and Convolution filters. I own a pair of Hifiman Sundara’s and I read that you can create a headphone preset like those of the Audeze presets that are built into Roon.

Can someone provide some guidance on how I should approach this?

Thank you,

David

AutoEQ is a project for equalizing headphone frequency responses automatically.
Here’s the link to the filters of your HIFIMAN Sundara on that site.

There’s also a download to ready to use zipped filters for your HIFIMAN Sundara from our kind user @killdozer.

Try forum search for yourself, it’s fun!
Enjoy!

Thank you Marin. I found the GitHub page with the AutoEQ information for the Sundara. I didn’t understand how to implement any of this information. I am not as experienced as I would like to be. There are so many filter choices, Parametric, Crossfade, Graphic & Convolution. Loading @Killdozer zip file gave me a convolution filter. Does this preclude creating another filter? If not, should I create a parametric EQ manually? Or this isn’t an exact science and it is subjective whether these filters are necessary or not?

You may browse through this thread to read up on the concept.

All of these differing approaches, except crossfade which aims at lessening the in-your-head-localisation, are meant to linearize your headphone’s amplitude response using measurements from different sources.
Depending on the quality of the measurement and precision of the correction that goal may be reached more or less.
The most precise and easiest option is to use the zipped convolution filters.
If you want to check with your own ears, you can implement all those different methods, then save each as a DSP preset to switch between them even from your mobile remote while listening in the sweet spot.

In addition you can add crossfade in Roon’s DSP and then play with its settings.
You may even add parametric filters to further tailor the sound to your liking.
Whether or not any of this enhances your listening pleasure is up to your liking.

Remember, that using the correction filters causes a shift in loudness when comparing to the uncorrected response, so you have to adjust the volume to match the loudness level.

Hope to have confused you some more :wink:

Many thanks @Marin_Weigel. I am now more sufficiently enlightened and confused simultaneously. But also excited and that is all I need. Thank You so much!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.