Audio break ups over WiFi

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows Server 2019 Datacenter 1809 (OS Build 17763.914)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core connected via Gigabit-LAN to AVM FritzBox 7590 (latest firmware). MacBook (2017)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MacBook (2017) CoreAudio output via WiFi (AC)

Description Of Issue
I get the “An audio file is loading slowly…” message almost on each track, Roon then skips to the next one (to a lesser extent also on 44/24 and 44/16). All sample rates work fine when playing back in JRiver (similar setup).

Here’s the network activity, the spike occurs when the new track starts:

Wi fi is notorious for drop outs, my house is concrete and brick walls !!

Can you run an Ethernet cable even as a test , it’s probably that , you may have to bite the bullet and run a cable especially if you want hires

You could try the 5g band there should be less interference, eg I get awful blips when the microwave runs :grin:

Currently listening on a Roon Endpoint which is connected via LAN and no dropouts yet. However, as I stated above, a similar setup that gives me headache with Roon works nicely with JRiver.

I run both Roon and JRiver, I suspect that Roon is just that much more resource hungry even on the network side.

Both streamers are Ethernet so no issues, when I was wi fi 24/192 just wouldn’t play even on Dlna, JRiver even with Extenders in the room

My house has a concrete flat roof so running a cable was a nightmare, but essential

I’m win10 ? Check out the Task Manager and see the difference.

Hi @Hans_Stahlhelm,

As noted in our Networking Guide, we always recommend using an Ethernet connection whenever possible. It sounds like using Ethernet has helped here, so we recommend continuing to do so. If you run into any issues with this configuration please do let us know!

Keep in mind that Roon’s realtime music streaming protocol, RAAT, is designed to keep multiple endpoints in sync and may behave very differently with respect to network flakiness than whatever JRiver uses.

1 Like

Hans, where is this track coming from? Locally on the Core machine, over the LAN from another local machine, or over the WAN from Tidal or Qobuz or Dropbox? “Loading slowly” implies that the data of the track is slow coming to the Core, doesn’t it?

Thanks for your responses. The music file does come from a core connected via Gigabit LAN to a router, which I connect to via WiFi (AC). Just copied a folder with 3.5 GB of data from the music library to another drive (SSD in the core) and I get about 200 MB/sec, should be sufficient, no?

As described in WDR stations break up after a few seconds, changing a setting in the network device seems to fix my issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.