Audio codecs missing on RoonServer install WS2016

Hello crew. I have Windows Server 2016 installed without GUI. Trying to get Roon up and running. On install of RoonServerInstaller64.exe, I am told that RoonServer is installed — and Task Manager shows it is there. However, when clicking finish, I get the error message:

Fatal Error

Required Audio Codecs Missing!

I have read that the media pack for Windows N server x64 is not required because the codecs are already installed for Windows Server 2016. And I couldn’t install the KB with the media pack anyway when I nevertheless tried that.

I’m at a loss. Any clue what I am to do? Thanks. JCR

Hey @Jeffrey_Robbins,

Which version of Windows Server 2016 did you install? After doing some research it appears that this should be available on the Windows Server 2016 Essentials version of WS2016.

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi @dylan. I have the Windows Server 2016 Standard edition without the GUI. I had been using Windows Server 2012R2 Standard in minimal core mode and that worked fine. And 2016 in full GUI works fine as well.

I guess I don’t know if my license key will work for the 2016 Essentials version. I will have to see. And I presume you don’t think that any media pack can be installed into the Standard edition without the GUI? JCR

Hey @Jeffrey_Robbins,

I did some research on this and it looks like there isn’t an essentials media pack that can be downloaded for WS2016 like there was on WS2012 to allow for streaming. I did find this request, it may be worth adding a vote here:

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304627-essentials/suggestions/15869049-please-provide-windows-server-essentials-media-pac

Kind regards,
Dylan

Understood. Interestingly, WS2012R2 works with Roon without the Media Pack in minimal server mode and WS2016 with the GUI works with Roon as well — and in fact, I am using that now. In that light, do we really think this is a Media Pack issue at all, given that WS2016 with GUI works fine? JCR