Audio devices gets reset after each Windows 10 build update

Why does wasapi devices–asio devices are seemingly unaffected–gets reset after each Windows 10 build update, causing them to have to be enabled and setup again?
Do they get a new ID, of sorts, when updating? Or is there something else causing roon to think the audio devices are different, after an update?
It should be possible to track audio devices by serial numbers and/or assumptions based on model names and update events, no?

This has been happening since at least early 2016, I just haven’t got around to report/discuss it.

1 Like

Hi @Lars_Hansson ----- Thank you for the report, the feedback and insight are very both very appreciated. My sincerest apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, I had chance to discuss your post with our tech team and one of senior developers today. As per the conversation our techs have requested the following:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Log gathering…

• In order for us to determine what is causing this behavior when a new Win10 build is release we will need to see your Roon and RAATServer logs before and after you take the up date. So with this in mind please…

1. Let us know the date when Windows prompts you to update.

2. Before updating please gather and send us your “Roon” and “RAATServer” logs from the device hosting your core, using the instructions found here.

3. Take the Win10 update, confirm that your WASAPI devices have “reset”, and send us another round of “Roon” and “RAATServer” logs from the device hosting your core, using the same instructions.

-Eric

Thanks for the response @eric .
It happened again today with the update to build 17618 (from build 17604). Although it comes at no surprise to me as it has always happened, without fault.
I have collected the logs as described. Should I just post a onedrive link here, or can I provide it somewhere else?

I should note that I recently moved from a simple Roon installation on host computer, to RoonServer + Roon on host computer. But there was no difference in behaviour for this issue.

Short description of my system:
Windows 10 64bit Build 17618
Intel 6700K on Z170
64GB DDR4-19200
Music collection on two 2TB internal HDDs (SATA)
Approx.: 4500 albums (local and tidal)
Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCIe) -> Naim DAC

/lars

Thank you for touching base with me @Lars_Hansson, very appreciated!

You can either post a onedrive link “here” in the thread or if you’d prefer you can send me a PM with the link.

-Eric

Hi @Lars_Hansson ---- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that I have seen your PM and downloaded the logs.

I am going to be attaching all of the provided materials to your ticket and then will pass over to our tech team for evaluation. Once the team has updated your ticket I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you ASAP. Your patience while the team conducts their analysis is very appreciated!

-Eric

@Lars_Hansson ---- Thank you again for the feedback! I wanted to touch base with you to inform you that our tech team has reproduce the issue and will be discussing this behavior further with our DEV team.

I will be sure to keep you up to date on the team’s progress. Your patience is very appreciated while we conduct this investigation.

-Eric

Hi @Lars_Hansson —— Thank you for your patience while our techs have been looking into this behavior you have reported to us. Very appreciated!

I touched base with the team this morning to get an update on their progress and they mentioned to me that after having reviewed the details of your setup they noticed that you are running the beta version of Windows. As you have already surmised, your WASAPI devices are indeed being given new IDs after you are taking an update from the Windows. We don’t have reports of this behavior occurring on production windows builds, have you tested with one of those to confirm what the behavior is like?

-Eric

Thank you for looking into this.

Unfortunately I can’t test this behaviour on a production build (it is very difficult (time consuming) to downgrade and the 17623 build can’t be left until its production build is released (autumn 2018). And I don´t have any roon license to test on a different machine.
But if this is limited to betas, that is ok with me.

You could be on the lookout for this behaviour when Windows 10 1803 is released (around april I think, ie. soon)

1 Like

Thank you for the head up @Lars_Hansson, the insight is very appreciated!

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Devices not recognized after Windows 10 update

A post was split to a new topic: Audio devices lost after Windows update