Audio devices gone after update

Core running build 247 on ROCK NUC which had HDMI endpoint enabled. Other devices include RPi DietPi (build 106) and Mac Pro v 10.11.6 (build 107) running Bridge. “About” shows everything, but nothing in Audio settings.

I have rebooted all devices, including router. I have restored from backup. No joy.

Hey @Brad_Burnside – can you grab us some logs to take a look at?

You can find instructions on submitting them here.

Hi Mike. I don’t use DropBox, so to where may I upload for you?

RAATServer Logs.zip only 61 KB. RoonServer Logs.zip 7.8 MB could be emailed.

Thanks @Brad_Burnside – I’ve got the logs. We’ll take a look and get back to you soon. Appreciate your patience.

Hey @Brad_Burnside – we took a look here and unfortunately there appears to be some corruption in your database.

If you have backups, I suspect you probably don’t have to worry about data loss, but we should figure out the underlying reasons for why things have gone awry here, then we can move onto restoring a backup.

First off, can you confirm from ROCK’s web interface how much free space is available on your NUC’s internal storage? A full hard drive could cause some of the issues we’re seeing here.

I’m guessing you’ve already tried this, but can you also confirm this state persists after rebooting the NUC as well? Let me know the above information and we’ll go from there. Thanks for your patience!

91% of 113 GB available.
Yes, I’ve rebooted NUC without any improvement. Then I powered down, disconnected power and restarted as well. No change.

Tried again. Now I get “an issue loading your database” screen such that I’m completely dead in the water: no access to Restore etc.

Manual restart got me back to “No Audio Devices Found”

Hey @Brad_Burnside – a full hard drive would’ve been been a pretty clear cause for the kinds of errors we’re seeing in your logs. If the drive still has 91% of its capacity available, this points to something else going on here that’s corrupting your database.

Our next step here is going to be to try and understand what that might be – in some rare cases this could potentially be caused by something like a power cut. but the more likely culprit is something like a bad hard drive, faulty RAM, etc. The fact that you’re not able to restore a backup successfully either also points to something going on with your hardware.

I’d like to try and confirm this with an unaffected database – there are a few things you might try next to help us understand the source of the issue.

You could try:

• Restoring an older backup to the NUC – if you’re having problems with the most recent backup, you could try rolling back to an earlier one to see if you’re able to get stable that way

or

• Restoring the most recent backup to a different machine, like a Mac or Windows laptop – this will help us confirm whether there are issues in the backups (unlikely) or whether the system is having problems booting properly with a valid backup

or

• Going into ROCK’s Data folder (here) and rename your database to something else, like Roon_old – then you should be able to start with a completely fresh database temporarily to confirm whether that’s stable on your hardware

Whichever of the above options you choose, please let us know how it goes and drop us another set of logs.

Apologies for the inconvenience here, Brad. We’ll stick with this until we figure out what’s going on, but I should be clear that this is extremely uncommon. I’m sure we can get things stable for you, but debugging corruption and/or hardware issues can be a methodical process, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Trying your third suggestion first, I renamed RoonServer > Database to Roon_old. ROCK created a new Database directory, but I’m now stuck on “Remote Connection, Waiting for Remote Core…”

…After finally getting back to No Devices, I moved to your first suggestion and have restored an old backup (build 223, which is subsequently updated to 247) to the NUC, to see that I “haven’t added much music” AND There Are No Audio Devices Found.

Now number two: De-authorized NUC to enable the Mac Pro which I used before buying the NUC, and restored a backup from June (the latest I have) to again see that I “haven’t added much music yet” AND There Are No Audio Devices Found.

Here are the new logs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/winuqobmaf9mlh7/AABMSkr_sMyKlcSbdqqn7HeZa?dl=0

“There was an issue loading your database” (on Mac Pro) “Don’t worry.”

Ok, thanks for letting us know @Brad_Burnside – clearly something has affected the integrity of the database here.

Before we take a deeper look at the backups, were you able to get the NUC up and running with a fresh database? I’d like to know that a new database is stable on that hardware before we move forward.

After renaming the RoonServer folder, you may need to hit “Restart” in the Roon Server section of the web interface:

Hi Mike. Yes, I did restart with a new database on the NUC and restarted. I got the same “No Devices” message and nothing found in Audio Settings while “About” showed the status of my Mac OS and DietPi endpoints.

So I authorized my Mac Pro again instead of the NUC where I restored an earlier backup. Now “No Devices” on different (Mac) hardware with no albums or artists or endpoints. And nothing when I try to add or re-scan music folders.

Hi @Brad_Burnside ---- Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for the wait here.

In light of this observation, our techs have asked me to gather a new set of logs from you that reflect your most recent feedback. You can follow the same instructions listed in @mike’s post above.

When the logs are posted please drop support a flag (i.e @support) and a member of the team will be sure to grab them ASAP for analysis.

-Eric

Latest logs here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8q5p946ualqgul/AACBVIUoezPeeRa5l-n49SLUa?dl=0

Hi @Brad_Burnside ----- Thank you for the follow up and the logs, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I took a look at the provided logs and also had our techs do a quick read through as well. Based on our findings, we are seeing traces that indicate there is some low level corruption present in your current DB. In light of this, I would you to please perform the following:

1. Close all instances of the application on your devices.

2. Make sure your NUC is not active and powered down.

3. On the Mac Pro, please perform the following with the application is closed:

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install
  • Let us know if you see these errors again.

Our techs want to see what happens when you start completely fresh on the Mac Pro, avoiding restoring from a previous back up. Let me know how it goes.

-Eric

Starting from scratch on the Mac Pro seems to solve the problem. I am adding the content of my music data drive now.

Interestingly, to me anyway, is that the software already knew to limit the output of my DietPi Digi+ Pro board endpoint going into legacy Meridian equipment to 24/96, which I had previously selected using the NUC configuration settings. No such limitation on my DietPi MamboBerry endpoint.