Audio devices lost after Windows update

I’m having the same problem, and I am on the production Win 10. It just happened today after version 2004 got installed. It seems to affect both WASAPI and the default sound device, in both cases these are my USB connected speakers. Let me know if there are logs you want from me.

Hi @Kevin_Hughes,

I’ve seen Windows Updates sometimes revert firewall settings, I would check this aspect first:

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Nothing wrong with the firewall settings, and I’ve not touched them for ages.

This has append regularly over the last few years, took me a while to realise it was the Win10 updates.

Hi @Kevin_Hughes,

Can you post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab?
Does a reboot of the Core change anything?

Reboots do nothing.

It’s the device currently labeled Office that has the issue.

This does seem exactly like the thread this was split from, that some ID for my speakers get’s changed and Roon loses track that they are meant to be active.

Hi @Kevin_Hughes,

What kind of device is Office? Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer?

When this issue occurs, how do you get out of this state to get the zone visible again?

Speakers are https://eve-audio.de/index.php?page=SC203

To fix it I only need to click the enable button, and then apply all my other settings, as it behaves like it’s a new output.

Hi @Kevin_Hughes,

Thanks for that clarification. Can you please reproduce the issue, note the exact local time + date it occurs and then send me a set of your Roon logs by using these instructions?

I’ll try and remember the next time it happens, I cannot force it, only when Microsoft push a certain type of update (feature updates mainly) does it happen.

1 Like

It just happened, sometime around or just after 17:47, I’ve zipped the logs, how do I send them to you?

Hello @Kevin_Hughes ,

Thanks again for sending those logs over! We have recently released a few new Roon updates, can you please confirm if the behavior is the same on the new release? If the behavior is the same, can you please try to set up a fresh RAATServer instance and verify if this helps?

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

I have no way of forcing the problem, it only happens when Microsoft push some large patches to Windows. Without being able to test it I don’t see the value in trying the new instance out, as I don’t see what it tells me.

Did the logs illustrate the problem? Were they the correct logs to capture?

Hello @Kevin_Hughes ,

The logs didn’t reveal much because we made some improvements to how zones are discovered in a recent Roon release. If you are still seeing this issue occur, can you please send me a new log set for review?

Did this get resolved? Every time I get a new Windows 11 Insider Preview update, Roon loses the connection to the audio devices on my Windows machine. I’m not sure if they are stored locally on my Windows instance of Roon or on my ROCK, but it is very irritating to have to “enable” them and rename them after every update. And Roon radio has to be shut off again.

Windows isn’t losing the audio devices and so I’m not sure why Roon does.

Maybe it’s due to you running a pre release OS?

For over 2 1/2 years, I’ve been running always kept up-to-date official WIN 10, then updated official WIN 11 this year, and never had any problems with running Roon server/remotes with all their updates and settings while using convolution, upsampling, grouped zones…

1 Like

Well, to be fair, even official Windows Updates occasionally seem to reset Roon’s audio devices on some systems… Microsoft moves in mysterious ways at times.

1 Like

I still get the issue, it happened recently.

Happens here, too. Windows 11. Audio devices are disabled and settings are lost and I have to reenter them.

I am also getting this. Windows 11.