Audio Drop Outs to RopieeeXL Endpoint

I had Fios from 2010-2013 when I lived in Virginia. Obviously, this was pre-Roon. I was using a Logitech Squeezebox Touch at the time, with LMS on my iMac. For a brief period, everything was connected through the 2012-era Fios router (Verizon had to upgrade my router when I upgraded service to > 100 Mbps). I say brief period, because I very soon noticed that my music (CD quality, which is to say <= 1.5 Mbps) hiccuped whenever my iPad web browsing went to a new page.

That’s right: the Fios router couldn’t sustain a measly 1.5 Mbps flow across two wired Ethernet ports while doing light duty WiFi. I purchased a separate WiFi access point; problem solved.

Good luck!

Hi @eyecue72,

It looks like the logs you send me are from a Roon Remote, Option #2 only works when the Roon Core is on the same machine used to generate the report. Can you please access your Roon ROCK logs using Option 1 instead?

Option 1 (Manually accessing Core logs):

1. Locate your Roon or RoonServer database – in most cases, you will want to send us logs from your Roon database (more information here)
  2. Find the folder called Logs
  • This folder generally contains Roon_log.txt , Roon_log.01.txt, ect. or RoonServer_log.txt, RoonServer_log.01.txt, ect. (if making use of RoonServer)
  1. Zip up the entire Logs folder
  • Please do not send individual log files, or convert/save your logs files (information about zipping up a folder is below)
  1. Rename the zip file to include your Community username, name, or your email address
  • Please don’t send your logs over as logs.zip
  1. Send us a link to the zip file

Ok. Here’s the link to the Roon Server Logs.

1 Like

Thanks for the logs @eyecue72. I have requested our technical team review them and once that’s been done, I or another support staff-member will reach out once more. Thanks for your patience while analysis is underway.

Hello @eyecue72,

Looking at the logs around the given timestamp, it appears that the RoPieeeXL AirPlay client is sending a “PlayPause” toggle command to Roon, thus causing Roon to stop playback.

Trace: [Living Room [Airplay]] [HighQuality 60.8x, 24/48 MQA TIDAL FLAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:14/4:50] Invisible Lady - Charles Mingus
Trace: [zone Dining Room [Airplay] + ropieeexl [RoPieeeXL]] PlayPause
Trace: [zone Dining Room [Airplay] + ropieeexl [RoPieeeXL]] Pause
Trace: [airplay/client] Sending FLUSH
Trace: [airplay/client] Sending FLUSH
Info: [zone Dining Room [Airplay] + ropieeexl [RoPieeeXL]] OnPlayFeedback Paused
Trace: [Dining Room [Airplay]] [HighQuality, 24/48 MQA TIDAL FLAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PAUSED @ 0:16/4:50] Invisible Lady - Charles Mingus
Trace: [Living Room [Airplay]] [HighQuality 60.6x, 24/48 MQA TIDAL FLAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PAUSED @ 0:16/4:50] Invisible Lady - Charles Mingus

I’m not sure what would cause the RoPieeeXL to trigger this pause command, it’s outside the scope of the Roon logs.

If you are able to reproduce this behavior using Roon/RAAT streaming we’d be happy to take a look at those logs for further troubleshooting.

On a broader scale, the reported temperatures from the Raspberry Pi are concerning and likely not doing your stability any favors.

-John

Thanks for taking a look, John.

I was able to reproduce the issue streaming to Roon/RAAT to the RPI playing Freddie Gibbs - Thuggin’ at ~16:36 ET and Freddie Gibbs, Ski Beatz - The World is My Ashtray at ~16:42 ET and the World Is My Ashtray (Instrumental) at 16:49 ET (audio dropped out for the first ~20 seconds of this song).

Updated log package is here.

FWIW, the RPI was down to around 61C at this time and I’m working to lower the temps further.

Starting at 23:15 ET Jay-Z Politics As Usual over RAAT (in case you need other examples)

Updated logs here.

Hello @eyecue72,

Thanks for the extra set of logs, they’ve actually helped point out a mistake in our original analysis.

We misattributed the source of the transport commands, they are actually coming from Roon, not the Raspberry Pi.

A common source for unexpected play/pause commands on macOS is the Now Playing media center controls. Apple’s documentation is very poor in this area. Things like connecting/disconnecting bluetooth headphones or media playback in Safari.

We’ll also keep our eye out for other similar reports on macOS.

-John

Hey @john. Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure I understand. Do you think this is an issue with Roon on macOS? This happens when I’m not even using my mac to play Roon as a remote, and it doesn’t happen on any of the other endpoints (i.e. when grouped, only the RPI drops out while the other grouped zone continues to play).

Hello @eyecue72,

The logs indicated that Mac was implicated in the pausing, but based on your last comment it’s clear this may be a symptom of some other issue.

Do you have any of the “Display” features activated on RoPieee? Have you tried reinstalling the RoPieee OS? Would it be possible to test the RoPieee endpoint with a USB DAC instead of the HAT?

-John

Thanks, John.

I tried running the RoPieee endpoint with a USB DAC and haven’t experienced any audio drop outs. Seems like it must be the HAT.

Based on this, I’m thinking this might be due to the lack of official RoPieee support for the HifiBerry DAC+ DSP. I will wait for the next update that will include the official drivers and report back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.