Audio Dropouts During Playback

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac 27, Late 2012, macOS Mojave 10.14.3, 2.9 GHz Intel i5, 8GB/ ROON Version 1.6 (Build 401)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired network/ Ethernet connection to iMac

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iMac 27 (ROON Core) > McIntosh C50 Preamp/DAC via USB > McIntosh MC452 Amp via XLR cables > Speakers

Description Of Issue

I’m experiencing audio dropouts during playback.

This started happening about 6 months ago, but it was sporadic and not very often. Nowadays it seems to happen every time I try to play music using ROON. The audio dropouts can occur 5 minutes into playback, or if I’m lucky, I may get 30 minutes of playback. When the audio dropout occurs, everything in ROON appears to be functioning correctly… the playback time-bar continues to move along and ROON still recognizes the audio-zone connection. I have noticed the dropouts typically happen when I try to change the song or album and it usually does not happen while music is playing.

Once the audio drops out, I have to power off/on the preamp/DAC in order to get the music to play again.

Please advise.
Thanks, Jeff

20%20PM (upload://iXTnmL0yT12SwiF9RngfLQXz2vQ.jpeg)

Hi @Jeffrey_Kerby,

Thanks for contacting us here and for providing the issue description. I would like to start troubleshooting by confirming a few things:

• Does this issue occur only for your McIntosh zone or does it occur on the Apple TV or Built-in output as well?

• Does this issue occur for both Local and TIDAL content or just one and not the other?

• Have you tried replacing the USB cable yet? I have seen quite a few reports where we traced the issue back to the USB cable in use, so I would definitely suggest giving this a try.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for the quick response Noris. Please see my responses below.

• Does this issue occur only for your McIntosh zone or does it occur on the Apple TV or Built-in output as well?
    To be honest, I only use the McIntosh output and I have not tried the other two options. I will run music to both outputs today & tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the issue and get back with you. I can play iTunes and local music from the iMac (Core machine) to the McIntosh via USB, without any issues.

• Does this issue occur for both Local and TIDAL content or just one and not the other?
    It occurs with all music… although 99% of my play comes from Tidal/Qubuz/Internet radio.

• Have you tried replacing the USB cable yet? I have seen quite a few reports where we traced the issue back to the USB cable in use, so I would definitely suggest giving this a try.
    Yes, I have replaced the USB cable twice now in hopes that it was the issue, but it keeps occuring. I’m not sure if this helps any, but I can plug my Windows laptop into the McIntosh via USB and play music through Tidal, iTunes, Qubuz, etc. without any issues.

I will follow back up with you tomorrow once I’ve had a chance to run music through the other two outputs.

Thanks,
Jeff

Good evening Noris,

I have completed some additional troubleshooting and here is what I am finding.

• This issue is only occurring while playing through the McIntosh C50. I cannot duplicate the issue while using the other two zones.

• This issue is occurring with all content… local, Tidal, Qubuz, etc…

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi @Jeffrey_Kerby,

Thanks for letting me know that this behavior is limited to the McIntosh zone. I think we should take a closer look at this aspect:

• Are you using the newest drivers for the McIntosh?
  • Does it have the newest firmware?

I’d also like to take a look at the diagnostics from your Core to see if there are any signs as to why this could occur, there may be some clues there, but there may also not.

I can go ahead and enable diagnostics mode for your account but before I go ahead and do this, can you please reproduce this issue and note the exact local time in your country (e.g. 11:38PM on 4/10/19) and let me know this info?

Thanks,
Noris

If it is limited to the Imac then I’m thinking that something else on the iMac is having issues with Roon. Based on your screen shot, I am assuming that this iMac is not a dedicated RoonServer. Are there other programs running at the same time you are listening to Roon or are you using the computer doing other tasks?

One test you could try is to set the Windows laptop up to be connected to the McIntosh as a client of the iMac running Core Server. This will keep your iMac as the core server but sending the stream out via ethernet to the Windows box. This removes the iMac’s USB system from the playback chain.

The chain would look like
iMac (as Core) > ethernet>Windows box (as Client)>USB>McIntosh C50.

1 Like

I have a completely different setup but was also getting dropouts regularly. Today I went in and disabled all filters and viola, no more skipping.

May not work for you but worth a try.

1 Like

Noris,

I wanted to provide an update on the latest…

• The McIntosh C50 has the latest firmware and the drivers are up-to-date.

On 4/11/19 I moved the iMac (core machine) closer to my audio gear so I could install a new (shorter) USB cable. I read somewhere that longer USB cables can sometimes have trouble with dropouts, so I figured I would try a shorter cable. (I was using 5m cable and switched to a 3m cable)

Since changing to the new cable, I have not been able to duplicate the dropout issue. I have played about 6-8 hours of music without one hiccup. I think the shorter USB cable has solved the problem, or at least it seems that way for now.

I’ll continue playing with the system and report back to you in a couple of days with my findings, unless you would like me to try something different.

Thank you,
Jeff

1 Like

Hi @Jeffrey_Kerby,

Thanks for letting me know about the cable change, and glad to hear that it has helped!

The USB cable was my first guess, so let’s see if things are still stable after a few days with the 3m one in place.

I look forward to hearing your results from extended testing!

Thanks,
Noris

A usb cable more than about 2m is asking for issues

Thanks… lesson learned. I can’t go much shorter than 3m, since I can’t put the iMac in my audio rack.

1 Like

maybe you should look at something like a RPi with Ropieee and use the network with a LAN cable. and a short USB cable from the RPi to the McIntosh.

I appreciate the recommendations. I’ll be looking into these options.

I’ve been thinking about switching my set-up and moving my ROON core off the iMac. Although I would continue using the McIntosh DAC, I’m just not sure the best route to take.

I need to do some more research on the forum to see what other options I may have. Thanks again for your input.

The rpi option won’t run your core it’s just a networked endpoint to connect the dac to. An alternative for the core would be pc or Mac based or could be ROCK on NUC or a nucleus depending on your needs and Diy capabilities. Other endpoint options exist too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.