Audio File is Loading Slowly

Roon Core Machine

ROCK, NUC8i7BEH, Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S, Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet to NUC: Google WiFi, TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch, Synology DS920+, Intel NUC 8

Connected Audio Devices

MacBook Pro, iPhone 12, Chord Mojo2/Poly, Chromecast Audio, Apple TV 4K

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am getting this interpuption to my music more and more frequently. Once it starts, the message is displayed (below) and Roon progresses to the next track. After a ~30 seconds on the next track, the same thing happens again.

In the past, I have tried to reboot my NAS and NUC, which doesn’t appear to solve the skipping of tracks.

Any thoughts how to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

@David_Weinberg, how is your NUC Core and NAS connected to each other, directly via Ethernet cable to the TP-Link switch? Also, what Google router do you have (make/model), and is that also connected directly to the TP-Link switch with an Ethernet cable? Finally, what is the version and MacOS of the Mac you are using, same for the iPhone, and how is the Mac connected to the network, WiFi or Ethernet cable, and is the behavior the same on the Mac as it is on the iPhone?

1 Like

This is usually caused by less than ideal network connectivity.
But it can also happen if you are using DSP settings that are pushing the limits of your processor.
If you’re using DSP try turning it off and see if that helps.
As well, myself and others have had this issue due to poor performance by our ISPs DNS server.
You could try changing your DNS settings.
I’m using Cloudflare. 1.1.1.1

1 Like

Point of clarification- I think it is just happening when I play tracks using the Chord Poly. I am listening now with Chromecast Audio and there are no auto skips.

To your questions:
How is your NUC Core and NAS connected to each other, directly via Ethernet cable to the TP-Link switch?
Through the TP-Link Switch

Also, what Google router do you have (make/model), and is that also connected directly to the TP-Link switch with an Ethernet cable?
Google Wifi (2016 model). The router is the first stop following the ONT. It is in turn connected to the switch.

Finally, what is the version and MacOS of the Mac you are using, same for the iPhone, and how is the Mac connected to the network, WiFi or Ethernet cable, and is the behavior the same on the Mac as it is on the iPhone?
MacOS - 13, iOS - 16.1. The Mac and all endpoints are connected via WiFi. iPhone playback, like Chromecast, is fine.

So it appears that my playback issue is limited to the Poly.

DSP is off.

DNS settings?? Too much under the hood for me. Hope I don’t need to mess with that…

I was just checking the head-fi forums as I seem to remember complaints about Poly’s wifi connectivity and I see you’re already there :sweat_smile:
I suspect the issue is specific to the Poly.

I have the Chord 2Go and was getting occasional dropouts with Roon playing local files or Qobuz via wifi - also with the file loading slowly message.
Other wifi endpoints in the same room were fine and my MacBook was showing full bars for wifi.
But I haven’t had dropouts with the 2Go out in my yard when it’s about twice as far from my router. :woman_shrugging:

This leads me to suspect Chord’s wifi implementation isn’t the best and seems particularly susceptible to interference from other devices?
I resolved this by putting a wifi repeater in my listening room setup so only the 2Go was connecting to it.
Not an ideal solution and someone with more networking knowledge may have a better suggestion.

Unfortunately, I posted on head-fi for a different reason…

A few thoughts to your comments- yes, I know the Poly and 2Go have had a rocky history. But my use of Roon on the Poly has been fairly solid over the years. The skipping is something I have noticed over the last month so. I have yet to critically evaluate the Poly with Roon Arc, but I recall that I did not experience any skipping using Roon Arc.

I selected the Google mesh router in place of repeaters. In my current residence (a coop apartment which is far smaller than the single family home we vacated) I continue to use the three pack- one router connected to the ONT and two points in our home. As a result, we have very solid Wifi coverage. I do not have a dedicated point for Roon.

Sounds like your wifi is robust which points to the Poly itself except it’s odd that you’ve only had this issue recently.
However, I have noticed at least one other thread recently about the file loading slowly issue with Tidal.
But if it’s happening with local files too it’s not that and it wouldn’t be the DNS issue I suggested earlier.

I believe it may be due to the Chord Poly having an older 2.4 GHz WiFi radio instead of an additional 5 GHz radio. The 2.4 GHz band is very crowded, has lower capacity, and is prone to interference. If the behavior is limited to using the Poly, I believe you at least have a reason, but not necessarily a solution.

1 Like

Agree although in my situation I don’t have neighbours and find 2.4G to be generally more stable and have much better range.
That said, I solved my dropout issue with the Chord 2Go (also only 2.4G) by configuring my network to have all other devices on the 5G band (where possible).

This brings up another thought that could be causing the issue: Since it’s happened recently and OP mentioned they’re in an apartment could it be someone else nearby has a (new?) network that’s operating on the same wifi channel or otherwise causing congestion?

1 Like

Great thought @Placebophile, and absolutely possible,. This is another reason why I recommend having your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks on separate SSIDs so you have more control of what connects to what. Low-capacity, less critical devices should be on 2.4 GHz, everything else on the 5 and soon 6 GHz bands.

1 Like

Thank you @Robert_F and @Placebophile.

I messaged Chord and spoke with Google (for far too long…) Here is what I have uncovered:

Google:

1. I can’t direct devices to a specific router/access point nor select devices to use the 2.4 Ghz or 5 GHz speed.
  2. I have many “unknown device[s]” visible on my network and assume that those are neighboring devices in my building. They can’t get on without a password and I can’t remove them.

Chord:

1. Lower signal strength will affect the performance with larger bandwidth files. All of my dropouts so far have been with hi-res files, so distance does appear to be key. However, one of my access points is located in the adjoining bedroom so it is close, but separated by drywall.

My plan is to move an access point from another bedroom (three access points may be overkill as the entire apartment is less than 1400 square feet). I hope that takes care of the dropouts since other suggestions appear to be closed to me with Google WiFi.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Weinberg. Please keep us updated on your progress.

You don’t have an option on the main router settings to split the 2.4G and 5G bands to separate SSIDs?
That surprises me.

It looks like this in my router settings.

When this is toggled off the 2.4G and 5G networks have different names so on each device I can log into either 2.4G or 5G depending on which name I choose.

But if that’s not possible hopefully relocating an access point will help.

Edit: This isn’t possible for you.
See next post.

Apparently you can’t segment the 2.4G and 5G bands with Google Mesh.
But I came across some forum posts with issues somewhat like yours (related to congestion) and some folks were able to solve this by enabling the Guest Network and using it for only the device that they wanted to give priority to: In your case the Poly.

1 Like

What a find! Thank you.

It was incredibly easy to set up the Guest Network and allocate only the Poly to it. I did it in a matter of minutes.

I’ll try out some hi-res files (they were the culprits) in various locations in my apartment to determine if I have any further dropouts.

David

Perhaps I declared victory a bit too soon.

Here is what happened:

I created the “Chord_Poly” guest network on Google WiFi and allocated the Poly (i.e., ChordPlayer”) to it.

I selected the “Chord_Poly" guest network on the Poly, but it failed to appear in Roon (Audio tab)

I went back and selected “Bouvier-Weinberg” (my existing WiFi network) and the Poly is visible

Thoughts?

I was a bit sleepy when I posted last night and it’s since occurred to me that the guest network will introduce some of its own complications.
Apologies if I’ve given false hope.

The Poly, Roon, and any other Roon endpoints will all have to be on the same network.
As would your devices with Roon Remote and mConnect.
And if you use ARC I’m not sure the Guest Network would support the Port Forwarding ARC requires.
Plus, as the Roon Core is best served by using Ethernet rather than wifi this probably isn’t going to work. At least not in the way I first suggested.

However, I’m wondering if we might still be onto something here?
The idea being to reduce the “load” on the network running Roon.
Rather than put the Poly etc. on the Guest Network perhaps you could use it for other things in your home that don’t require Roon?

I appreciate doing so will take some effort and I’m not even sure it will help.
But it might be something to try?

No, if this is reporting via the Google WiFi or Google Home apps, then these are devices that are or have been on your network. “Unnamed device” is the default for any device that Google Home cannot name automatically. But, bar none, the Google apps cannot view neighboring devices in your building.

AJ

2 Likes

Thinking the guest network would take some more configuration that I want to do and I don’t really want to mess with multiple networks, I decided simply move one of the access points since Chord advised that distance from the router has a negative impact to larger bandwidth files.

I moved the primary bedroom access point last night (I annotated this apartment layout before the blue change in location for questions to Chord) and my hi-res files so far play without any drops.

So it appears that proximity to a router or access point is key.

Thanks to all.

David

2 Likes