Audio file loading slowly errors

Hi @rickcarl,

That sounds familiar. This started just today on all my devices. But unlike your challenging setup with high data-rate over WiFi, in my case I run 44.1kHz, 16-bit over Ethernet to another computer or SqueezeBox or via WiFi to an iPad. My Roon Core runs on a Mac Mini and hasn’t given any issues before. It doesn’t even feel hot to the touch or otherwise show any signs of exerting effort.

The song starts playing, then some 10-15 seconds in, it skips 3 seconds and continues for another 10 seconds. Then it would want to skip again, but rather shows the pop-up you grabbed and skips to the next song in the playlist.

Hope anyone at @roon can help out resolve this issue.

Hi Jan,

Some basic questions before support arrives… Are you playing local music or streamed music? If local, is the music on the Core aka Mac Mini, if not, could you describe where the music is located?

Hi @Jan_Prummel,

What kind of audio zones are you using, what is the model/manufacturer of the audio gear?
If you try to start playback to your Mac’s System Output zone, do you notice any issues there?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini (late 2012) macOS Sierra 10.12.6, 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, Roon v1.7 build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio files on QNAP TS351 NAS connected via ethernet using Apple and netgear switches

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Squeezebox, iOS devices and RME FireFace UFX on MacBook Pro 2017

Description Of Issue

The issue occurs on every end point including the System Output and with every source data, either streaming from Tidal, Qobuz or playing lossless data from the NAS. And be that to an endpoint connected via Ethernet or WiFi (iPad).

And the symptoms are very constant. Clock stops at 13 seconds but playback continues for another 6 seconds, then pauses for 3 seconds. The clock jumps to 22 seconds and playback continues until the clock stops again at 36 seconds. Playback continues for another 4 seconds and then playback skips to the next song in the playlist, while showing the message that there may be some networking or connectivity problem.

If it is that consistent, then I would test the network by playing music that is on the Mac Mini out the Mini’s System Output. That would eliminate the network.

If it works then you know something is up with the network. If it doesn’t, then you know something is up with the Mini.

Thanks @Rugby,

Like I said, using Roon, all playback was the same also on the system output. I didn’t think of playing a file via Finder or iTunes, but as it happens, the old ‘switch it off and on again’ did the trick. I decided to do that, because since today Roon can’t find my Squeezebox anymore.

Now everything works again on all end points, except the Squeezebox, which is again constantly being searched for.

Also strange: after I switched the computer back on and launched Roon, it appears to have updated to build 667. I made sure to check it when I typed my previous post, it was still showing the build 610 which I installed a month ago. I was not aware that Roon was on auto-update, but that would be my prime suspect.

Yes, 667 came out today.

Also got the Squeezebox working again. It turned out that after switching it off and back on, you also need to point it to the database.
A simple solution in hindsight, but at a rather large contrast to the ease with which Roon initially installed and automatically found all my endpoints.

2 Likes

Hi @Jan_Prummel,

Thanks for those additional details and for letting us know the issue is resolved following the reboot!
If you notice any further issues, please just let us know and we can take another look, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.