Audio playback buzz

Microsoft Surface Go running window 10 home

TEXT GOES HERE

Comcast/Xfinity internet connected router to roon with Kubala Sosna fascination ehthernet

TEXT GOES HERE
Gryphon Kalliope DAC connected to roon w/ kubala sosna realization USB and a hard drive also connected to roon same usb

TEXT GOES HERE
Streaming with Tidal with roon and above equipment. problem comes when the song goes from a 44.1khz to a 96khz or 192khz. So it only happens when it goes up from 44.1khz. once it happens it send a buzz and hum through speackers. I don’t even have to fix it or change anything. to make it play I go roon setting/audio/kalliope; then once in settings I just hit cancel and don’t change any settings in kalliope from roon settings. go back to track unpause it. it plays fine. once it starts playing the 96 or 192 it will play that res all day. no issues. so to combat it I’ve separated my play list by resolution but that’s a pain. Would like to figure out how to fix. Gryphon has roon running to the Kalliope in there factory and can’t get it to do this problem at all. I’ve changed nearly all the settings in roon I think and loaded them back to default and so on. but the odd thing is that no setting fixes it and it plays just fine on every setting once I interrupt it and just hit cancel. I’ve tried the delay on every single ms as well. DSD plays fine. its just the 96 and 192 when it first starts playing. Again, Gryphon is trying to help but now I’m convinced the Kalliope isn’t the issue. Any ideas welcome.

Neal

TEXT GOES HERE

Hi @Neal_Williamson,

Do you experience this behavior when playing to other zones?

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for the Kalliope?

I don’t have multiple zones but I have sonos but I’m not using it anymore. I suppose I could try to get it linked to roon but never have.

settings attempt at print screen below.
nope that didn’t work. let me try to figure that out lol

neal

I can’t figure this print screen out but I swear I have changed every setting available undrer the kalliope audio settings to every option and save it and go back to a 44.1 then immediately to a 96khz and buzzzz lol… I eventually put them all back. none of the settings change anything on my end.

neal

anyone got any ideas. I can’t figure out how to print screen from my tablet

Neal

Does this help? Personally, I find it a pain to hit the buttons at the right time - I usually turn the tablet off. Much easier with a keyboard attached…

Alternatively, use the Snip and Sketch app, and take a Snip in 10 seconds, which gives you time to switch to the Roon screen…

Hi @Neal_Williamson,

You can follow these instructions for sending screenshots.

If you play to System Output of a remote device do you experience the same buzz?

how would I play to a remote device? are you talking like sonos maybe? If sonos would work I could try that maybe. would just have to figure out how to do it.

neal

I’ll try again tonight. are we looking for audio settings of the kalliope or what settings are they looking for?

Neal

Dylan is asking for screenshots of the Roon Audio Settings for the Kalliope device…

Looking at your first message, is the Roon Core running on your Surface Go, or do you have the Core running elsewhere, and the Surface Go is just being used as the Roon Control device? Because I’m confused - the Surface Go has a USB-C port, whilst the Kubala Sosna Realization cable is USB-A…

ok so not sure if this is a good test but I plugged in a sonos 1 into the ethernet on my router. roon nucleus recognized it. I enabled it. I played through it all formats with no problem. Again not sure what that proves since it is plugged into the router. not sure if that eliminates anything or not.

so on the core, would that be the roon nucleus or what. yes the surface Go is just the controller over wifi. I’m going to try and do the screenshot again now

neal

under core in my settings it shows the kalliope usb and then below that but not enabled is nucleus hdmi output…

so the kalliope is the core right

neal

I notice you have a really long Resync Delay, 10,000mS (ten seconds). Roon says that is programmed silence put in when format changes, designed to allow for your DAC to accommodate the change and adapt. On my DAC it is 0mS.
Some of your description fits with this being involved.
Ten seconds is a long time. I don’t know where the buzz and hum is coming from, but you might try reducing the delay to 500mS.
I don’t know how this would fit some of your problems, but have you tried a different USB cable and/or other USB ports? A cable problem could lead to hum and buzz. Since Gryphon has Roon running on the DAC, it seems like it is something specific to your system, which is the hardware itself.

Core is the machine Roon (server) is running on and controlling all the music management and outputs. You mention Nucleus a couple times, and that would be the logical place to put it. You can also run Roon on a machine like a PC, but unless it is designated as the core it is a control device. It sounds like you are running the Surface go as a control device. You can only run one core at a time.
The Gryphon Kalliope is an endpoint.
I sympathize, the Roon nomenclature is a little bewildering at first. :wink:

so the roon nucleus is the core and the kalliope is connected to the core

neal

I had thought I tried every single ms delay on there but just to be sure I just did it again and it don’t change anything but the wait time lol on the buzz when going to a higher frequency resolution. again though, the only fix is going into settings and changing nothing to get the 24/96 or 192 to play. just go in to settings which interrupts playback, hit cancel and go back and play the 24/96 or 192. but go back to a 44.1 and back to 96 or 192 and repeat the whole process. it does it every time.

neal

I haven’t tried another usb cable. I only have the kubala sosna realization usb. funny gryphon also asked about my usb cable. I don’t have another KS usb lol. but maybe I could go buy a cheap one from somewhere just to change out briefly and try. the one from the hard drive to the roon is 1m and from roon to kalliope is 2m. the plugs are so thick that they barely plug in to the roon and push each other out but you would think a usb connection is either in or not. and usb cable either works or not. so it works when I interrupt playback and hit cancel in audio settings, do you still think the usb could be a issue

neal

It’s a good possibility. If something isn’t seated right, isn’t grounded properly, or has some other conductance problem you can have transmission or noise problems.
I got a new network renderer interface for my DAC and had horrible noise from just one channel between songs. I took everything apart and reseated the interface module and zero noise. When I hear ‘they barely plug into the roon’, its a concern.
Even a really cheap, intact cable is fine for problem solving this.

ok, I will try to test this and hopefully eliminate the usb or I will have to contact Kubala Sosna for sure to help solve if it proves to be the case

neal