Audio sub-system for Apple devices

The following behavior is consistent across multiple and varied Apple devices; verified across OS (MacOS, iPadOS), OS versions, builds, CPU/SOC platforms (x86, Mx, Ax), device models (multiple generations of iPads and Mac desktops) and Roon versions/builds.

When these devices are serving as Roon endpoints and playback is interrupted by incoming communication requiring the audio subsystem (not system notifications) the audio subsystem will crash. Typically the subsystem will not recover without a reboot. Example apps include, but not limited to FaceTime, Skype, Skype for Business, Teams.

This behavior is most consistent and prevalent when Roon is running in exclusive mode. Playback of higher resolution files appears to increase the likelihood the audio subsystem will crash when interrupted.

Often, the handoff of audio from Roon to the other app is successful. But upon completion of the call or conference, the subsystem will crash.

Occasionally the handoff is unsuccessful, the “ring” from the other app failing to register. Note, this is specifically the “ring”, not a system notification.

This behavior does not appear to be tied to any other factors, such as networking, Roon database or external devices (DAC, Amp, etc.).

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please let Roon Support know these details so that they can better assist you? Thanks!

Roon Core Machine
Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)
Networking Gear & Setup Details
Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet
Connected Audio Devices
Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)
Number of Tracks in Library
Tell them how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”
Description of Issue
Tell Support about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible.

Thanks.

1 Like

Roon Core
Mac mini (Late 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16GB
MacOS 10.14.6
1 Gb/s Ethernet

No audio devices used by Roon Core, only serves as database and repository
~40,000 tracks

Note: the described behavior has not been experienced on the Roon Core, primarily because that desktop is not used as a Roon endpoint.

Hey @Brian_Marshall,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out, and you have my sincerest apologies for the delay in my response. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having issues with your system crashing after incoming audio communication. Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. If you’re still experiencing this problem on the newest Roon build (970) and need assistance please let us know.

Have you given both your Router, Core, and remotes a reboot recently?

• Please try completely powering off your Router, Core and Remotes
  • Unplug the power cable for your router and core, and let it sit for 30 seconds
  • Reboot your Router, Core, then Remotes, and verify that the same issue still occurs

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.